View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Quote Originally Posted by ER Prest View Post
    Not really an apples to apples comparison. Standard 7x10 trim hardcovers are quite different than Absolute editions. There's literally zero difference between an 8x11 oversized hardcover/deluxe and an 8x11 omnibus, other than the word "omnibus" on the second one which would typically(but not always) contain more pages. They're effectively the same type of book.
    Aren't Absolutes supposed to be a larger page than an Omnibus?

Quote Originally Posted by Vilynne View Post
    Aren't Absolutes supposed to be a larger page than an Omnibus?
    I think Absolutes are 9x12, so yes.

I think Absolutes are 9x12, so yes.
    OH okay. You mean the deluxe editions not the Absolutes. My bad.

JLA Morrison omnibus is due next week. Uhg, they really botched the collected issues in this book, in my opinion. I'll probably pick it up because I doubt we'll ever get a straight JLA deluxe/omnibus collection. Sigh

Spectacular Member

JLA Morrison omnibus is due next week. Uhg, they really botched the collected issues in this book, in my opinion. I'll probably pick it up because I doubt we'll ever get a straight JLA deluxe/omnibus collection. Sigh
    I think the best bet is to get the Omni plus the JLA: Tower of Babel Deluxe Edition coming out next year as it will contain almost all the missing issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Nab432 View Post
    I think the best bet is to get the Omni plus the JLA: Tower of Babel Deluxe Edition coming out next year as it will contain almost all the missing issues.
    That's my plan. It's not my first choice on how to collect it, but oh well

Amazing Member

I noticed the Shazam deluxe edition released this week collects a bunch of different justice league issues. Are these already collected elsewhere and/or is this worth getting anyway? Don’t really have a good guide of the various JL series post-Morrison which is the last run I really followed. I’ve picked up the recent Snyder, Meltzer, Priest and “origin” collections but honestly have no idea what order to read them in. I even have a few rebirth deluxe hardcovers that I never got around to reading. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JCinOntario View Post
    I noticed the Shazam deluxe edition released this week collects a bunch of different justice league issues. Are these already collected elsewhere and/or is this worth getting anyway? Don’t really have a good guide of the various JL series post-Morrison which is the last run I really followed. I’ve picked up the recent Snyder, Meltzer, Priest and “origin” collections but honestly have no idea what order to read them in. I even have a few rebirth deluxe hardcovers that I never got around to reading. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.
    Shazam! ran as a back up feature in Justice League during Johns' New 52 era run, so the JL issues you see listed is only those stories, not the main feature. There's a standard size trade available that collects just that material - but nothing from the current series that just ended.

Hope that makes sense...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JCinOntario View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Shazam! ran as a back up feature in Justice League during Johns' New 52 era run, so the JL issues you see listed is only those stories, not the main feature. There's a standard size trade available that collects just that material - but nothing from the current series that just ended.

Hope that makes sense...
    Yeah, I collected those JL single issues as they came out. As SJNeal wrote, Captain Marvel was the back-up story with the exception of JL #0 and #21 in which he was the main feature.

I've never read Morrison's jla run, is it worth investing in? I do love his batman so...?

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Witch View Post
    I've never read Morrison's jla run, is it worth investing in? I do love his batman so...?
    It’s the foundation of the modern JL, and forms the basis for a lot of his later work with Batman. Porter’s art hasn’t aged well but the series as a whole is still good. I’d recommend maybe reading a trade or two first to see if it’s to your taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Witch View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    It’s the foundation of the modern JL, and forms the basis for a lot of his later work with Batman. Porter’s art hasn’t aged well but the series as a whole is still good. I’d recommend maybe reading a trade or two first to see if it’s to your taste.
    Just to add on, it definitely heralded the "widescreen" comics idea too. The Ellis/Hitch Stormwatch, and later their Authority, as well as Millar/Quitely's Authority and the Millar/Hitch Ultimates runs pull a lot from the Morrison/Porter JLA title. You could probably argue the Busiek/Perez Avengers run did as well

Just to add on, it definitely heralded the "widescreen" comics idea too. The Ellis/Hitch Stormwatch, and later their Authority, as well as Millar/Quitely's Authority and the Millar/Hitch Ultimates runs pull a lot from the Morrison/Porter JLA title. You could probably argue the Busiek/Perez Avengers run did as well
    I don't think we pulled anything from that JLA run. We were competing with it, to be sure -- but our approach was to take everything that was great about past AVENGERS material and step on the gas.

kdb
    Visit www.busiek.com—for all your Busiek needs!

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post

Hope that makes sense...
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    Yeah, I collected those JL single issues as they came out. As SJNeal wrote, Captain Marvel was the back-up story with the exception of JL #0 and #21 in which he was the main feature.
    Thanks guys. I ordered from IST, I’ll have it in time for Xmas and pretend it’s a present to myself, lol.

I wonder will DC bring out The Witching Hour in an omnibus or even Ghosts I'm prepared to wait. However it would be nice to know if they were on the Horizon.
    Hail Hydra!