View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 101 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 51919798991001011021031041051111512016011101 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,515 of 21662

So I decided to take the plunge and purchase another Absolute. I thought I would have better luck with All Star Batman & Robin as it doesn't have a dust jacket which usually gets stuck to the slipcase but this time I got glue between the pages!!!

Again, at no fault was InstockTrades responsible for this as they packaged it extremely well and was in the official Absolute box.

Now I have a section which I have called 'Arkham Asylum' where I store all the deformed books... well away from my 'healthy' collection

For reference, here are my previous instances which I posted on the old forum.

Incredible Member

I remember those Watchmen pics. That's crappy luck.

This has probably already been mentioned here, but what were all the hardcovers DC announced or teased at SDCC?

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    This has probably already been mentioned here, but what were all the hardcovers DC announced or teased at SDCC?
    A New gods by Simonson omnibus, a Batman Neal Adams omnibus, Transmetropolitan Absolutes and Y the last man Absolutes I thought
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    A New gods by Simonson omnibus, a Batman Neal Adams omnibus, Transmetropolitan Absolutes and Y the last man Absolutes I thought
    also some 75th anniversary hardcovers, golden age stuff.

BANNED

I need to ask some thoughts from my fellow collectors, this topic is mostly about the Big Two collections:What are your thoughts on TPBs? Stuff like Justice League of America by Mark Waid, or John Ostrander's Spectre or Mike Grell's Green Arrow are only avaiable via trade paperbacks, but as a collector with gazillion OHCs + Omnibuses, i feel like i wanna get rid of my TPBs and simply focus on the biggest and most deluxe stuff, anyone feel the same way? How many tpbs do you guys read?

Like, i can understand a company like Avatar or Dynamite not having enough resources to duke out Hardcovers, but that's not the case for the big two, who have both deluxe hardcovers of Batman stuff, while some Batman comics only get tpbs.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpio View Post
    I need to ask some thoughts from my fellow collectors, this topic is mostly about the Big Two collections:What are your thoughts on TPBs? Stuff like Justice League of America by Mark Waid, or John Ostrander's Spectre or Mike Grell's Green Arrow are only avaiable via trade paperbacks, but as a collector with gazillion OHCs + Omnibuses, i feel like i wanna get rid of my TPBs and simply focus on the biggest and most deluxe stuff, anyone feel the same way? How many tpbs do you guys read?

Like, i can understand a company like Avatar or Dynamite not having enough resources to duke out Hardcovers, but that's not the case for the big two, who have both deluxe hardcovers of Batman stuff, while some Batman comics only get tpbs.
    I only now buy and read anything in Deluxe and above i.e Deluxe, Absolute and Omnibus. Anything in TPB or normal sized hardcover will not get a purchase even if it is deemed the best ever comic (I will wait as I do not want to double dip). Its why I have no new 52 stuff (except the zero
    omnibus) despite craving the Jim Lee art in Justice League etc.

On a side note, I have lots of stuff from Grant Morrison. I have yet to get round to reading any of his stories. I hope his stories aren't going to be the piece of rubbish that a lot of people here claim it is.
    Last edited by ukbondraider; 08-05-2014 at 03:41 PM.

Amazing Member

I'd say the TPB format is fine in and of itself (nice to get a first look at a work at an affordable price), and some companies do them well. But the ones DC put out are garbage, through and through.. My well cared-for TPBs of the Authority, Cosmic Odyssey and the Aaron / Stewart Vertigo book The Other Side literally fell apart after being read twice. I've never had a problem with Dark Horse or Oni TPBs and like those quite a bit ; they're also usually much larger than the DC ones (I'm thinking of the Queen & Country collections and the big Finder Library books).

Just finished the Animal Man omnibus, and yep, this is my favorite thing Morrison has done. I loved the family aspect, I loved the toned down weirdness, and I loved how digestible it all was. Despite being over 25 years old, this read like something that could be published today.

It's funny; I don't consider myself a Morrison fan boy, but he's written 2 of my favorite runs (New X-Men being the other one) in comics.

Fantastic Member

I recently stumbled across a nifty custom bound hardcover of Promethea #1-12. Now im eyeing up the Absolute 2 + 3 in order to get the rest of the story. Does anyone have them? Can I get some pics and some info on the quality and what extras there are? They are insanely cheap right now, so if you guys say they are good quality Im gonna get them instead of waiting a year or however long for Immateria.

Fantastic Member Ultimate Spider-Fan's Avatar

I posted this on the DC section of the MMW Forum, but thought I might post it here as well.

I recently bought my first DC absolute, Identity Crisis, mostly because I was interested in checking out the format and it was only $24 w/shipping. However, the book has a page printed out of order and I'm wondering if this issued was raised when the book first came out.

SPOILERS FOR IDENTITY CRISIS BELOW

Since the book doesn't have page numbers, I'll just have to describe the scene with the out of order page. It is in the final issue of the story, and is during the scene where Jean is in bed with Ray admitting to having murdered Sue. Jean is in the middle of telling her story, then there is a two page spread of Ray reacting through internal dialogue, then Jean's dialogue continues on the following page, with the next page continuing Ray's reaction. While skimming through the book, the scene seemed very disjointed to me, so much so that I actually paid the $1.99 to download the issue from Comixology. Turns out that the pages are out of order in the Absolute. I returned the book for a replacement (not just because of this, some of the pages were stuck together and tore when separating them), and the new copy I received also has the pages in the incorrect order.

Did anyone else notice this in their copy? Was this problem brought up at all when the book first came out? A Google search on this topic turned up nothing. If the problem wasn't widespread, maybe I'm just unlucky and got two defective copies in a row, but I find that hard to believe.

Spectacular Member

Yea mines like that too, random black page where that page should be and then like 4 later it shows up. O well I paid like 30 for mine too, I dont mind too much. Its surprising that slipped through

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mike1981 View Post
    Just finished the Animal Man omnibus, and yep, this is my favorite thing Morrison has done. I loved the family aspect, I loved the toned down weirdness, and I loved how digestible it all was. Despite being over 25 years old, this read like something that could be published today.

It's funny; I don't consider myself a Morrison fan boy, but he's written 2 of my favorite runs (New X-Men being the other one) in comics.
    That's good to hear! Mine's waiting back home for when I come back from my holiday (along with the Solo deluxe)
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Quote Originally Posted by mike1981 View Post

I've expected more weirdness to be honest, but I like Morrison's more insane stuff.
    The only thing I didn't like is the artwork. I don't know it is intentional or not but I just can't get used to it. And I usually like weird artwork but in this case it's just ... I don't know, I don't want to use the word "amateur" but sometimes I was wondering why did the artist chose to draw stuff the way he did?

Yeah, I feel like Morrison has incredible ideas but is often not great at the execution.

Some books work better for me on multiple re-reads (like Final Crisis & Batman RIP), and it's not necessarily that he didn't make it clear the first time around, I just didn't pick up on it or really get the full picture. And I think some of that is style & taste but I'm mostly ok with it.

But then there are basic story-telling techniques that I feel he gets very clunky with. A couple examples off the top of my head from JLA:
    - He wants to introduce Tomorrow Woman into the JLA, and instead of just having her try out, there's an extended panel about WW moaning the fact that more women didn't try out, and then lo & behold Tomorrow Woman shows up late and ready to impress. It just strikes me as weak story-telling. (Though I've justified it in my own head by suggesting if she had shown up earlier in the try outs she would've failed out in a background check or something, and by swinging in at the last minute they just accepted her no questions asked.)

- Been a while since I read Rock of Ages, but I remember there being some terrible resolution. Where one of the groups was caught dimension/reality-hopping, and it just happened to be that one of the possibly infinite realities they stumbled upon held the resolution to their other problems the rest of the team was going through.

- Another one that just popped into my head, but again not remembering entirely clearly is something like the Martian Manhunter in Joker's mind? I remember the build up and the challenge being great, and then it gets resolved in like 1 panel as if it was a piece of cake.
    Last edited by Ari Gold; 08-06-2014 at 02:37 PM.