View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1012 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 125129129621002100810091010101110121013101410151016102210621112 ... LastLast
Results 15,166 to 15,180 of 21671
    Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

THE FLASH: THE REBIRTH DELUXE EDITION BOOK TWO OHC Cover by JASON FABOK:

Collects The Flash #14-27.

What a fantastic cover!

JUSTICE LEAGUE: THE REBIRTH DELUXE EDITION BOOK TWO OHC Cover by PAUL PELLETIER and SANDRA HOPE:

Collects JUSTICE LEAGUE #12-25.

GLOBAL FREQUENCY: THE DELUXE EDITION OHC Cover by BRIAN WOOD:

Collects the entire 12-issue series!

Quote Originally Posted by RamblingMan View Post
    I would prefer Absolutes over one jumbo omnibus if those are the options. A two edition omnibus set would be ok too and probably my preference as 3-4 Absolutes would take a while to come out. Just get it out already!
    It's only a little over 40 issues. It wouldn't be that big. Perfect size really

Quote Originally Posted by ER Prest View Post
    It's only a little over 40 issues. It wouldn't be that big. Perfect size really
    I reckon DC don't want to give any money to Moore so we will never see Swampy in Absolute of Omni format (and my preference would be two Absolutes)

Incredible Member

Two absolutes would be great. Looking at the individual paperbacks, the page count comes to 1200 pages. That's a pretty beefy DC omnibus with their thicker paper (I'd still buy it if that was how it is released). After getting through the fourth world, I'm sure anything less will seem a breeze.

Fantastic Member

Well, obviously the March solicitations are out, and obviously I'm late for the oversized HC party, so I'll post the small ones:

DARK NIGHTS: METAL HC
    Written by SCOTT SNYDER • Art by GREG CAPULLO and JONATHAN GLAPION • Cover by GREG CAPULLO
    The Dark Knight has uncovered one of the lost mysteries of the universe…one that could destroy the very fabric of the DC Universe! The dark corners of reality that have never been seen till now! The Dark Multiverse is revealed in all its devastating danger—and the threats it contains are coming for the DC Universe!
    Collects the best-selling DARK NIGHTS: METAL #1-6.
    ADVANCE SOLICITED • On sale JUNE 6 • FOIL-STAMPED COVER • 200 pg, FC, $29.99 US isbn: 978-1-4012-7732-1

DARK NIGHTS: METAL: THE NIGHTMARE BATMEN HC
    Written by JOSHUA WILLIAMSON, PETER J. TOMASI, FRANK TIERI, JAMES TYNION IV, DAN ABNETT and SAM HUMPHRIES
    Art by CARMINE DI GIANDOMENICO, TONY S. DANIEL, RICCARDO FEDERICI, FRANCIS MANAPUL, PHILIP TAN, TYLER KIRKHAM, ETHAN VAN SCIVER, RILEY ROSSMO and others
    Cover by JASON FABOK
    The Red Death. The Devastator. The Merciless. The Murder Machine. The Drowned. The Dawnbreaker. And the Batman Who Laughs. These evil Batmen—twisted mirror images of the Dark Knight—have been unleashed upon Earth-0 and the Justice League with only one thing on their minds: total devastation. How can the World’s Greatest Heroes stop a horde of deadly beings who appear to be powerful nightmare versions of familiar figures?
    Collects BATMAN: THE RED DEATH #1, BATMAN: THE DEVASTATOR #1, BATMAN: THE MERCILESS #1, BATMAN: THE MURDER MACHINE #1, BATMAN: THE DROWNED #1, BATMAN: THE DAWNBREAKER #1, THE BATMAN WHO LAUGHS #1 and DARK KNIGHTS RISING: THE WILD HUNT #1.
    ADVANCE SOLICITED • On sale JUNE 20 • FOIL-STAMPED COVER • 216 pg, FC, $29.99 US • ISBN: 978-1-4012-7732-1

INJUSTICE 2 VOL. 2 HC
    Written by TOM TAYLOR
    Art by BRUNO REDONDO, DANIEL SAMPERE and others
    Cover by BRUNO REDONDO and JUAN ALBARRAN
    In these tales from INJUSTICE 2 #7-12 and E14, Batman has triumphed over the tyrannical Superman! In his quest to put the world back together, Batman recruits Ted Kord to join his new Justice League Council. Meanwhile, Harley finally meets the person pulling the Suicide Squad’s strings and uncovers their deadly plans, and Batman’s allies make a major decision about their future, following the tragic death of one of their own.
    On sale APRIL 25 • 160 pg, FC, $24.99 US • ISBN: 978-1-4012-7841-0

THE KAMANDI CHALLENGE HC
    Written by DAN ABNETT, DAN DiDIO, PETER J. TOMASI, JIMMY PALMIOTTI, JAMES TYNION IV, BILL WILLINGHAM, STEVE ORLANDO, MARGUERITE BENNETT, KEITH GIFFEN, TOM KING, GREG PAK, ROB WILLIAMS, GAIL SIMONE and PAUL LEVITZ
    Art by DALE EAGLESHAM, KEITH GIFFEN, NEAL ADAMS, AMANDA CONNER, CARLOS D’ANDA, IVAN REIS, PHILIP TAN, DAN JURGENS, STEVE RUDE, KEVIN EASTMAN, SHANE DAVIS, WALTER SIMONSON, RYAN SOOK, JOSE LUIS GARCIA-LOPEZ, FREDDIE E. WILLIAMS II and others • Cover by JIM LEE and SCOTT WILLIAMS
    Prepare to join the industry’s top creative teams in a round-robin, no-holds-barred story-telling extravaganza titled THE KAMANDI CHALLENGE! Born from the mind of Jack Kirby, the post-apocalyptic Earth of Kamandi has been a fan favorite for decades, and now 14 intrepid teams of writers and artists take the title character on a quest to find his long-lost parents. Each chapter leads to a cliffhanger, and it’s up to the next creative team to resolve it before creating their own, as Kamandi faces tigers armed with the ultimate weapon, becomes holy messenger to a society of God Watchers, encounters proletariat grizzly bears in the Russian tundra and much more!
    On sale APRIL 18 • 328 pg, FC, $39.99 US • ISBN: 978-1-4012-7836-6

Fantastic Member

And of course, the ''fat'' TPBs:

BATMAN: ARKHAM — HUGO STRANGE TP
    Written by BILL FINGER, STEVE ENGLEHART, GERRY CONWAY, DEVIN GRAYSON and others
    Art by BOB KANE, MARSHALL ROGERS, DON NEWTON, ROGER ROBINSON and others
    Cover by BRIAN BOLLAND
    One of the Dark Knight’s oldest enemies, Hugo Strange was the first foe to determine Batman’s true identity as Bruce Wayne! BATMAN ARKHAM: HUGO STRANGE collects some of the villain’s greatest stories by some of comics’ greatest creators from DETECTIVE COMICS #36, #471-472 and #942, BATMAN #356, BATMAN ANNUAL #10 and BATMAN: GOTHAM KNIGHTS #8-11.
    On sale APRIL 18 • 240 pg, FC, $19.99 US • ISBN: 978-1-4012-7470-2

BATMAN: THE DARK KNIGHT DETECTIVE VOL. 1 TP
    Written by MIKE W. BARR
    Art by ALAN DAVIS, NORM BREYFOGLE and others • Cover by ALAN DAVIS
    In these stories that immediately follow BATMAN: YEAR ONE, the Dark Knight must rescue Catwoman from the clutches of the Joker, contend with a newly paroled Mad Hatter and deal with the maddening double crimes of Two-Face! While this might seem like a normal week for Batman, he also jets over to London to work on an unsolved Sherlock Holmes mystery with the Elongated Man and Slam Bradley.
    Collects DETECTIVE COMICS #568-574 and #579-582.
    On sale APRIL 4 • 304 pg, FC, $29.99 US • ISBN: 978-1-4012-7108-4

DARK NIGHTS: METAL: THE RESISTANCE TP
    Written by SCOTT SNYDER, JOSHUA WILLIAMSON, ROBERT VENDITTI, BENJAMIN PERCY, TIM SEELEY, ROB WILLIAMS, JAMES TYNION IV and JEFF LEMIRE
    Art by HOWARD PORTER, ETHAN VAN SCIVER, LIAM SHARP, TYLER KIRKHAM, MIKEL JANIN, DOUG MAHNKE, BRYAN HITCH and others
    Cover by WHILCE PORTACIO
    In this DARK NIGHTS: METAL tie-in, the Justice League has scattered around the world to find artifacts that can stand against the invasion of the Dark Multiverse. Plus, an S.O.S. from Dick Grayson sends Robin back to Gotham City to find Batgirl, Harley Quinn, Killer Croc, Black Canary and Green Arrow trapped in a labyrinth of madness and death!
    Collects TEEN TITANS #12, NIGHTWING #29, SUICIDE SQUAD #26, GREEN ARROW #32, BATMAN: LOST #1, THE FLASH #33, HAL JORDAN AND THE GREEN LANTERN CORPS #32, JUSTICE LEAGUE #32-33 and HAWKMAN: FOUND #1.
    ADVANCE SOLICITED • On sale JUNE 13 • 248 pg, FC, $24.99 US • ISBN: 978-1-4012-7735-2

THE DC UNIVERSE BY BRIAN K. VAUGHAN TP
    Written by BRIAN K. VAUGHAN and others
    Art by CULLY HAMNER, SCOTT KOLINS, STEVE SCOTT, NORM BREYFOGLE, TREVOR McCARTHY, CARY NORD and others
    Cover by CARY NORD and MARK LIPKA
    These tales of Titans, the Justice League, Green Lantern and many other heroes of the DC Universe are beautifully told by superstar writer Brian K. Vaughan (Y: THE LAST MAN, Saga).
    This hardcover includes TITANS #14, SINS OF YOUTH: WONDER GIRLS #1, JLA ANNUAL #4, GREEN LANTERN: CIRCLE OF FIRE #1-2, GREEN LANTERN/ADAM STRANGE #1, GREEN LANTERN/THE ATOM #1 and a story from YOUNG JUSTICE #22.
    On sale APRIL 11 • 248 pg, FC, $19.99 US • ISBN: 978-1-4012-7827-4

THE FLASH: THE SILVER AGE VOL. 3 TP
    Written by JOHN BROOME and GARDNER FOX
    Art by CARMINE INFANTINO, JOE GIELLA and others
    Cover by EVAN “DOC” SHANER
    In these adventures from the early 1960s, Abra Kadrabra transforms the Flash into a puppet! Plus, the Scarlet Speedster meets the Elongated Man to take on Captain Cold, gets help from Kid Flash against an alien invasion and travels to Earth-2 to help the Justice Society battle Vandal Savage! And don’t miss appearances by Rogues including Pied Piper, Reverse-Flash, Heat Wave, the Trickster, Weather Wizard and Mr. Element in these stories from THE FLASH #133-147.
    On sale APRIL 4 • 400 pg, FC, $29.99 US • ISBN: 978-1-4012-7826-7

THE FLASH BY MARK WAID BOOK FOUR TP
    Written by MARK WAID and others
    Art by MIKE WIERINGO, SALVADOR LARROCA, CARLOS PACHECO, ROGER ROBINSON and others
    Cover by MIKE WIERINGO and JOSE MARZAN
    After the events of ZERO HOUR, the Flash—a.k.a. Wally West—gets a glimpse of the future and doesn’t like what he sees! Meanwhile he and Impulse have a rematch with Kobra’s forces. But something seems off about Wally’s speed, which leaves him looking not quite like himself. But even as he tries to deal with his own personal problems, issues with Impulse begin to arise and Wally must seek out the help of Max Mercury.
    Collects THE FLASH #0 and #95-105 and THE FLASH ANNUAL #8.
    On sale APRIL 4 • 368 pg, FC, $34.99 US • ISBN: 978-1-4012-7821-2

GREEN LANTERN: THE SILVER AGE VOL. 3 TP
    Written by GARDNER FOX and JOHN BROOME
    Art by GIL KANE, JOE GIELLA and SID GREENE
    Cover by EVAN “DOC” SHANER
    In these tales from the early 1960s, Hal Jordan faces new dangers as the Green Lantern of Earth, including Star Sapphire, the Tattooed Man, Hector Hammond, Black Hand, Sonar, the Shark and others, then visits a planet called Green Lantern!
    Collects GREEN LANTERN #23-35.
    On sale APRIL 18 • 344 pg, FC, $29.99 US • ISBN: 978-1-4012-7847-2

HAWKMAN BY GEOFF JOHNS BOOK TWO TP
    Written by GEOFF JOHNS
    Art by RAGS MORALES, JOSE LUIS GARCIA-LOPEZ, SCOT EATON, DON KRAMER and others • Cover by JOHN WATSON
    Shayera Thal, the Thanagarian Hawkwoman, returns to the world of Hawkman! But her motives for seeking out Carter and Kendra aren’t exactly filled with good intentions… Hawkgirl isn’t exactly happy to see her…or to learn about the customary Thanagarian greeting! Hawkwoman has finally tracked down the final fate of her ex-partner and what it means to the world of the Animal Avatars. But an unexpected tagalong will send Shayera’s life in an entirely new direction! Guest-starring Animal Man, Black Adam and Headhunter.
    Collects HAWKMAN #15-25 and JSA #56-58.
    On sale APRIL 11 • 344 pg, FC, $29.99 US • ISBN: 978-1-4012-7834-2

JSA: THE GOLDEN AGE TP NEW EDITION
    Written by JAMES ROBINSON • Art and cover by PAUL SMITH
    DC’s first generation of superheroes have been driven into retirement, hiding, or madness—except for a few who are willing to change with the times. But behind the scenes, something even more sinister is unfolding—a subtle plot that may engulf the planet and remake it in one man’s image.
    Collects THE GOLDEN AGE #1-4.
    On sale APRIL 25 • 216 pg, FC, $19.99 US • ISBN: 978-1-4012-7843-4

SLEEPER BOOK ONE TP
    Written by ED BRUBAKER
    Art by COLIN WILSON and SEAN PHILLIPS
    Cover by SEAN PHILLIPS
    In these classic stories by writer Ed Brubaker, Grifter is investigating the attempted murder of his friend John Lynch, while covert operative Holden Carver has been placed undercover in a villainous organization led by TAO. As Holden and Grifter cross paths, will cooler heads prevail? Hell no.
    Riddled with noir undertones and the action of a spy thriller, SLEEPER BOOK ONE collects POINT BLANK #1-5, SLEEPER #1-12.
    On sale APRIL 25 • 424 pg, FC, $29.99 US • MATURE READERS • ISBN: 978-1-4012-7844-1

WONDER WOMAN BY GEORGE PEREZ VOL. 3 TP
    Written by GEORGE PEREZ, KEITH GIFFEN, J.M. DeMATTEIS and CARY BATES
    Art by CHRIS MARRINAN, WILL BLYBERG, TOM GRUMMETT and others
    Cover by GEORGE PEREZ
    In these 1980s tales written by comics legend George Pérez, Wonder Woman is attacked by her old foe Cheetah. Then, Diana discovers a tribe of Egyptian Amazons, which leads to a battle between the two groups of women warriors.
    Collects WONDER WOMAN #25-35.
    On sale APRIL 11 • 264 pg, FC, $29.99 US • ISBN: 978-1-4012-7832-8

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Because Absolutes should be for one-and-done books. Omnibus is the obvious choice for Moore's Swamp Thing.
    The "obvious" choice collects a beautifully drawn (and written) series in the best format possible, which is an Absolute. By your logic, we should also have those mousetrap Sandman omnibus collections rather than the Absolute set. Also, the earliest - if not the first - Absolute collections contained the Authority series - a series - not "one-and-done" books.

Why do you insist on patronizing people here who actually contribute to the board?

One more oversized HC but no definite cover:

THE FLASH: THE SILVER AGE OMNIBUS VOL. 3 HC
    • Written by JOHN BROOME, GARDNER FOX and others
    • Art by CARMINE INFANTINO, ROSS ANDRU, GIL KANE and others
    • Cover by EVAN “DOC” SHANER
    The Flash and Kid Flash team up in these stories from THE FLASH #164-199, featuring their battles against Reverse-Flash, Gorilla Grodd, Captain Cold and Heat Wave, Abra Kadabra, Dr. Light and more! Includes guest-appearances by Green Lantern, the Golden Age Flash and Superman!
    On sale JULY 18 • 800 pg, FC, $99.99 US • ISBN: 978-1-4012-8104-5

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboydce View Post
    I reckon DC don't want to give any money to Moore so we will never see Swampy in Absolute of Omni format (and my preference would be two Absolutes)
    I mean, most of his ABC stuff is in Absolute format. DC is usually a lot better with royalties than Marvel - DC pays up for Moore's work, he just refuses it sometimes(like the Watchmen film royalties).

I don't think they mind paying him at all, his work sells.

I just want an omnibus of ST because I'm greedy and impatient and want to buy one book, not wait for two Absolutes to come out
    Last edited by ER Prest; 12-20-2017 at 04:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    The "obvious" choice collects a beautifully drawn (and written) series in the best format possible, which is an Absolute. By your logic, we should also have those mousetrap Sandman omnibus collections rather than the Absolute set. Also, the earliest - if not the first - Absolute collections contained the Authority series - a series - not "one-and-done" books.

Why do you insist on patronizing people here who actually contribute to the board?
    I agree. I love the prestige format for such a fine quality book. I also wouldn't mind the wait, being as ive ready the series twice over already. Its more for a collection than a rereading.

Moore won't receive anything from ST reprints. He divided his share of 'rights' between Rick Veitch and other guys a long time ago.

Even though ST is my fav north-american comic book run, I don't care for ST omni or absolute. TPBs with newspaper-quality paper are ideal – a little bit murky and they actually add so much to the overall atmosphere. But... to each his own, I guess

Spectacular Member Cerd the nerd's Avatar

Honestly, I think it will happen in the next 6-9 months.

I mean, we've just had the Bronze Age Omnibus (including the, let's face it, not very good Martin Pasko run).

I think the next step is clearly an Alan Moore Swamp Thing Omnibus (but it won't say that because...)

Anybody who has those original issues knows that the newsprint actually augments the artwork, the colouring is both delicate and diffuse and it somehow absorbs into the paper itself and produces something of subtlety and wonder.

The omnibus, while oversized, will not reproduce this effect.

The hardcovers already released do have a newsprint type paper and do reproduce that effect to a degree.

But hey, I will get the omnibus (and double dip), because it's just one of the best comic runs ever.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cerd the nerd View Post
    Honestly, I think it will happen in the next 6-9 months.

I mean, we've just had the Bronze Age Omnibus (including the, let's face it, not very good Martin Pasko run).

I think the next step is clearly an Alan Moore Swamp Thing Omnibus (but it won't say that because...)

Anybody who has those original issues knows that the newsprint actually augments the artwork, the colouring is both delicate and diffuse and it somehow absorbs into the paper itself and produces something of subtlety and wonder.

The omnibus, while oversized, will not reproduce this effect.

The hardcovers already released do have a newsprint type paper and do reproduce that effect to a degree.

But hey, I will get the omnibus (and double dip), because it's just one of the best comic runs ever.
    I think I would definitely prefer Absolute Editions for Swamp Thing. All the terrific artwork around the pages would look great on as big a page as possible, but I agree about the coloring and the effect of newsprint. I am feeling somewhat the same about the New Gods Omnibus, after so many years, the slick pages change the experience. The photo collage pages are where I notice it the most. I bet the Moore Swamp Thing Omnibus is coming though to match the Bronze Age already issued. I want a Tom Strong and Promethea Omnibus while they're at it.