View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 103 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 35393991001011021031041051061071131532036031103 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,545 of 21662
    Spectacular Member

Well, I just asked Gail Simone on Twitter about a Secret Six Omnibus and got this response...

https://twitter.com/GailSimone/statu...58906830835713

It's either a confirmation that it's coming, or Gail agreeing that it'd be cool to see it someday. It's almost definitely the latter, but we can always hope it's the former

BANNED

Secret Six is having a tpb reprint on bigger scale, maybe if the sales are good or DC wants to promote anything "Suicide Squad"-ish related.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpio View Post
    Secret Six is having a tpb reprint on bigger scale, maybe if the sales are good or DC wants to promote anything "Suicide Squad"-ish related.
    I crave more Suicide squad by Ostrander! Ostrander is one of my favorite 80s/90s writers and I need more than just one tpb of his Suicide squad. An omnibus would be amazing but I would be statisfied with just more tpb's.
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

I received my second Absolute recently, and even though I love them, I don't know if I want to purchase another one again due to their impracticality. They're great to admire (and show off to others ), but I don't think I could read them in my normal reading position (lying in bed). I'm so pessimistic that that's going to be a horrid experience that I don't even want to try (and possibly damage the book). My eyes probably won't even be able to focus on the far-end of the page, lol. And I'm only saying that half-joking. If I do keep buying them, I may need to double-dip and also purchase a HC or TPB for easier reading. But then what's the point? Wait until I want to read it on a coffee table?
    An unabashed DC Fanboy (who gives Marvel credit where credit is due).

Fantastic Member The_Dark_Knight's Avatar

I'd give it a shot. I seriously doubt you'll damage the book by trying to read it in bed. Personally, I've never had a problem reading Absolutes. In fact, my problem comes from reading an Absolute and then going back to a standard trim or even oversized trim book. It's sort of like watching the Nolan Dark Knight flicks in IMAX - the IMAX scenes are spectacular, but then it's a bit of a jarring let down when the aspect ratio returns to normal.

Absolutes, to me, are the comic medium's equivalent of IMAX. All detail, subtlety, and dynamism are enhanced and enlarged (though I'll grant you "enhanced" or "enlarged" subtlety is a bit of an oxymoron, but look at the facial expressions in Rags Morales' art in Absolute Identity Crisis and you'll see what I mean), leading to an enhanced reading experience - for me at least. The only issue I would anticipate from reading one in bed may be the diminished lighting of a nightstand lamp just doesn't illuminate all of the wonderful detail and beauty on the page to a satisfactory level. Again, that's just been my personal experience.

By the way, which ones do you have?
    Last edited by The_Dark_Knight; 08-10-2014 at 12:35 PM.

Final Crisis and Watchmen. Watchmen was not just my first Absolute, but my first online comic book purchase ever. Talk about taking off in style! I never read it since I bought it, because after reading it twice before the purchase, and later having more appreciation for the movie's ending, the book has kinda fallen by the wayside for me. I said after that that I'd never buy another Absolute unless the visuals were enhanced because of it, AND if the story was something I'd return to over and over.

Final Crisis accomplishes both of those things. I'm going through a Morrison-phase at the moment, and no one can deny Jones' artwork for those first few issues.

I initially thought about buying Identity Crisis in Absolute format, but I remember not being so blown away by the story the first time (it had its moments), and the artwork was good but, well, it's not Jim Lee at his finest. That being said, I went through the trade last month and now have more appreciation for it, though it's still not a classic in my eye. I'm only slightly interested to see it in Absolute form now that you've pointed out that it enhances the visuals.

On your recommendation, I'll try reading Final Crisis in bed and hoping I can still breathe and that there's still blood pumping throughout my body by the end of the session. If it works and I find the experience pleasant, perhaps I'll get the only three other Absolutes that interest me: All-Star Superman, All-Star Batman & Robin, and Rebirth.
    An unabashed DC Fanboy (who gives Marvel credit where credit is due).

BANNED

Ardian Syaf teases Superman Earth One vol.3 cover

Quote Originally Posted by ohmshalone View Post
    Final Crisis and Watchmen. Watchmen was not just my first Absolute, but my first online comic book purchase ever. Talk about taking off in style! I never read it since I bought it, because after reading it twice before the purchase, and later having more appreciation for the movie's ending, the book has kinda fallen by the wayside for me. I said after that that I'd never buy another Absolute unless the visuals were enhanced because of it, AND if the story was something I'd return to over and over.

Final Crisis accomplishes both of those things. I'm going through a Morrison-phase at the moment, and no one can deny Jones' artwork for those first few issues.

I initially thought about buying Identity Crisis in Absolute format, but I remember not being so blown away by the story the first time (it had its moments), and the artwork was good but, well, it's not Jim Lee at his finest. That being said, I went through the trade last month and now have more appreciation for it, though it's still not a classic in my eye. I'm only slightly interested to see it in Absolute form now that you've pointed out that it enhances the visuals.

On your recommendation, I'll try reading Final Crisis in bed and hoping I can still breathe and that there's still blood pumping throughout my body by the end of the session. If it works and I find the experience pleasant, perhaps I'll get the only three other Absolutes that interest me: All-Star Superman, All-Star Batman & Robin, and Rebirth.
    I only have Absolute All Star Superman, but it's not a heavy book, I didn't have a problem reading it.

Quote Originally Posted by ohmshalone View Post

I find an Absolute way easier to read than big omniboo, even in bed. I'm now reading Big Damn Sin City and I'm telling you, that one's impossible to read in bed (I guess it works if you don't plan to get out of bed for at least 30 minutes after you stopped reading, my legs were never so numb)
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    I find an Absolute way easier to read than big omniboo, even in bed. I'm now reading Big Damn Sin City and I'm telling you, that one's impossible to read in bed (I guess it works if you don't plan to get out of bed for at least 30 minutes after you stopped reading, my legs were never so numb)
    Anyone know anywhere that sells good adjustable easels or similar constructs that would help read the bigger volumes while sitting? Was brainstorming about the best materials/mechanism to maybe build one myself, wondered if anyone had attempted anything similar?

Quote Originally Posted by The Cheat View Post
    Anyone know anywhere that sells good adjustable easels or similar constructs that would help read the bigger volumes while sitting? Was brainstorming about the best materials/mechanism to maybe build one myself, wondered if anyone had attempted anything similar?
    I know Martin once brought up these Taschen bookstands
    http://www.taschen.com/pages/en/cata..._bookstand.htm

If you want to build one yourself I think you can use maybe plexiglass?

BANNED

Superman Earth One vol 3 & Batman Earth one vol 2 covers!!!

Spectacular Member

Hey for anyone whos boughtany of the tales of insert artist here books, I was wondering do any of them tell any complete stories? I like good artists dont get me wrong but if its a jarring reading experience ill pass. I was particularly interested in the jh williams one.

On a related note are the original ohcs or neal adams Batman work as atrociously colored as some reviews indicate? If so ill wait till the omni drops to see if its any better

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpio View Post
    Superman Earth One vol 3 & Batman Earth one vol 2 covers!!!
    Volume 2 does exist!!! Yay!!

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cheat View Post
    I bought this one off of amazon.ca. Best purchase I've made for reading omnibus' or any book in general.

http://www.amazon.ca/Natural-Living-...cookbook+stand