View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1039 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 395399399891029103510361037103810391040104110421043104910891139 ... LastLast
Results 15,571 to 15,585 of 21671

Quote Originally Posted by bob/.schoonover View Post
    I think Monday (or Tuesday if they observe President's Day) for the May solicits from DC. Probably another month before the fall guide from Hachette
    I forgot all about Presidents Day. I love the fall guide too, thanks for the heads up

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rtk79 View Post
    The Wild West portion of the Return of Bruce Wayne was a full-on fill-in as well (Cameron Stewart backed out, if memory serves). It looks atrocious. A redraw would be fantastic but I'd never bet on DC doing the right thing.
    My god it was bad. One of the best cases ever of fill-in art so bad that it makes you resent an otherwise good written issue.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Incredible Member Graphic Autist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    My god it was bad. One of the best cases ever of fill-in art so bad that it makes you resent an otherwise good written issue.
    While I am unfamiliar with the material, I’d prefer a shittily drawn good story than a beautifully drawn shitty story.

That said, bad art looks like crap.

I'm starting to think that DC might be ready to do a big push on omnibus collections and start publishing more and more or at least upping the ante.

A couple reasons:

Bendis, when he left Marvel, noted that DC would take over publishing his creator-owned stuff and actually start pushing and advertising it (Something Marvel didn't appear to do). I suspect this means a Powers 2 omnibus and maybe some other OHCs.

DC recently has made good on its misprints and screw-ups and is willing to bite the bullet and cover replacement costs.

DC also advertised for a new collections editor (or whatever that job was).

The company is finally starting to publish some "most wanted" collections, like the OHC stuff for David's Aquaman and Morrison's Batman. In the past these seemed to be no-brainers but they were never published.

The company also continues to published the Golden Age stuff and we're now into stories that weren't previously collected.

I know it's all anecdotal and maybe I'm reading too much into it but still.

My only concern is that DC has no problem killing a run due to poor sales (i.e. Starman, Sandman, the Unwritten, etc.).

Admittedly I have not looked at how many omnibus/OHCs collections have been published for each of the past few years, so I don't know if there is currently a pattern. But, I suppose, this is more of a prediction.

Thoughts?

Spectacular Member

My thoughts? I better finish off my Powers OHC collection...

=============================
    Just trying to work it out from Amazon, think I've covered it all? No wonder I gave up on this collection though!
    I have those marked (***) and showing HC format...

***Batman: And Son (7 x 10.5): 655-658, 663-666
    ***Batman (7 x 10.5): The Black Glove: 667-669, 672-675 <===== the deluxe edition collects both these two.
    ***Batman RIP (7.4 x 11.2):
    Final Crisis (7 x 10.5): 682-683 Final Crisis 1-7, Superman Beyond 1-2, Submit 1
    Batman: Time and the Batman (7 x 10.5):700-703 <===== is there a deluxe?
    ***Batman & Robin (7.4 x 11.2): Reborn: 1-6
    ***Batman & Robin (7.4 x 11.2): Vs: 7-12
    Batman: The Return of Bruce Wayne (7.5 x 11.2): 1-6
    ***Batman & Robin (7.4 x 11.2): Must Die!: 13-16 & The Return
    ***Batman Incorporated (7.4 x 11.2): 1-8 & Leviathan Strikes
    Batman Incorporated Vol. 1: Demon Star (7 x 10.5): 0-6 <===== is B.I.2 collected in deluxe?
    Batman Incorporated Vol. 2: Gotham's Most Wanted (7 x 10.5): 7-13 & special

Supplementary
    Damian: Son of Batman Deluxe Edition (7.5 x 11.2): 1-4 & 666
    Batman: The Resurrection of Ra's Al Ghul (7 x 10.5): 670-671+annual 26, Robin 168-169+annual 7, DC 838-839, Nightwing 138-139

And for further reference:
    Act 1: Batman by Grant Morrison Omnibus Vol. 1: #655-658,663-683, stories from 52 #30,47 & DC Universe #0
    Act 2: Batman & Robin Absolute: Batman & Robin #1-16, Bruce Wayne The Return #1
    Act 3: Batman Incorporated Absolute: #1-8, Leviathan Rises #1, vol. 2 #1-13, special #1
    Last edited by koonfasa; 02-19-2018 at 04:18 AM.

Last edited by JoeGuy; 10-22-2019 at 03:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeGuy View Post
    I think that would leave off Time and the Batman & The Return of Bruce Wayne. How necessary are those to Morrison's run?
    Very important. RoBW and Batman #700-702 have key revelations about Hurt, Darkseid, Batman's past, future, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by koonfasa View Post
    Batman: Time and the Batman (7 x 10.5):700-703 <===== is there a deluxe?
    Batman: The Return of Bruce Wayne (7.5 x 11.2): 1-6
    Batman Incorporated Vol. 1: Demon Star (7 x 10.5): 0-6 <===== is B.I.2 collected in deluxe?
    Batman Incorporated Vol. 2: Gotham's Most Wanted (7 x 10.5): 7-13 & special
    No Deluxe for any of these. And those particular Inc trades have unfinalized fill-in art that Absolute Incorporated redoes/fixes. That finalized art is only in the Absolute so far, nowhere else.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 02-19-2018 at 06:54 AM.

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Last edited by JoeGuy; 10-22-2019 at 03:38 PM.

JBat, I can probably fit RoBW in the custom bind. Would it make sense in that? What would you do with #700-702?
    My custom bind of B&R, RoBW, and #700-702 used the order artist Chris Burnham, a self-described Morrison superfan (and Morrison collaborator), believed in...which is the order I really deeply believe in given how B&R and RoBW did come out amidst each other and have little mysteries and revelations that bounced off each other:
    BR 1-9
    B700
    BR 10
    ROBW 1
    BR11
    ROBW2
    BR12
    ROBW3
    B701
    B702
    BR13
    ROBW4
    BR14
    ROBW5
    BR15
    ROBW6
    BR16

(If DC doesn't use this order in their Omnibus Vol 2, I'm not purchasing it, I will just rely on my custom bind volume)
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 02-19-2018 at 07:38 AM.

Last edited by JoeGuy; 10-22-2019 at 03:38 PM.

Okay cool, thank you. I ordered those 2 trades. Is it viable to break up a tpb, or should I place RoBW & TatB between B&R vol. 2 & vol. 3?
    You can break up tpbs and move issues around with comic binding. I myself would only do what the order is above. No other option is really acceptable for me at least (I've put a lot of thought into the matter, so I thought there were other viable orders, I'd say so).
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 02-19-2018 at 08:30 AM.

huh, you reminded me that i probably sell Black Glove and R.I.P. OHC. Guess i'll sell time and batman too. Guess i'll also stay with absolute editions even if they reprint them in omni. I love art in second half of Morrison run too much.
    Last edited by bearded_adam; 02-19-2018 at 08:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    I'm starting to think that DC might be ready to do a big push on omnibus collections and start publishing more and more or at least upping the ante.

A couple reasons:

Bendis, when he left Marvel, noted that DC would take over publishing his creator-owned stuff and actually start pushing and advertising it (Something Marvel didn't appear to do). I suspect this means a Powers 2 omnibus and maybe some other OHCs.

DC recently has made good on its misprints and screw-ups and is willing to bite the bullet and cover replacement costs.

DC also advertised for a new collections editor (or whatever that job was).

The company is finally starting to publish some "most wanted" collections, like the OHC stuff for David's Aquaman and Morrison's Batman. In the past these seemed to be no-brainers but they were never published.

The company also continues to published the Golden Age stuff and we're now into stories that weren't previously collected.

I know it's all anecdotal and maybe I'm reading too much into it but still.

My only concern is that DC has no problem killing a run due to poor sales (i.e. Starman, Sandman, the Unwritten, etc.).

Admittedly I have not looked at how many omnibus/OHCs collections have been published for each of the past few years, so I don't know if there is currently a pattern. But, I suppose, this is more of a prediction.

Thoughts?
    Its possible. We really have to wait and see. I said it before, but the inclusion of an Impulse omni was a real shock to me. If they would stop reprinting DKR, Year One and. Watchmen, and took the time to look at some deeper cuts, then I'd be impressed. I definitely agree they're on the right track though. Id be blown away if they ever print the entire Amethyst series in color...oh hell, I'll take a Vext collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Vilynne View Post
    Its possible. We really have to wait and see. I said it before, but the inclusion of an Impulse omni was a real shock to me. If they would stop reprinting DKR, Year One and. Watchmen, and took the time to look at some deeper cuts, then I'd be impressed. I definitely agree they're on the right track though. Id be blown away if they ever print the entire Amethyst series in color...oh hell, I'll take a Vext collection.
    Ha ha, they'll never stop reprinting these. They're bestsellers. It would be like telling King's publishing company to quit putting out The Stand or Disney to stop Cinderella. Also, there's a clause in Moore's contract with DC that if Watchmen isn't published annually, then the rights revert back to him.

I need to read Amethyst. Everyone talks about it but it's a series I never looked into.

The Impulse omnibus is an immediate buy for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Vilynne View Post
    If they would stop reprinting DKR, Year One and. Watchmen, and took the time to look at some deeper cuts, then I'd be impressed.
    Actually i'm waiting year one gallery edition)