View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1067 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 6756796710171057106310641065106610671068106910701071107711171167 ... LastLast
Results 15,991 to 16,005 of 21662
    Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    DC needs to revive Superman: The Man of Tomorrow Book One.

I'm just not excited for the Exile omnibus.
    Yeah, it's going to need to come with a warning - "Lift w/ Your Knees, Not Your Back".

I'm sure they'll break it up into 3 or 4 chunky trades in a couple years, like they did with the Death/Return omni. And like that project, I'm sure the new trades will be expanded and include additional issues.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    What I find most interesting about the FC Omni is how it will effectively be Batman by Morrison Omnibus Vol 1.5 because, make no mistake, FC (which Morrison made clear "Last Rites" BATMAN #682 – 683 is part of) is critical to following and fully taking in Morrison's Batman run. It's even uncannily coming out before Vol 2, as if DC is doing so deliberately.

DC I think found a win-win opportunity here to both recollect FC AND avoid having to put FC in the Morrison Batman Omnibuses. Batman 701-702 weren't released immediately after RIP and in fact spoil parts of RoBW if DC foolishly attempted to move it to being an RIP-B&R/RoBW bridge (it is a bridge, but you can't move it IMHO).
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 04-05-2018 at 02:22 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Last edited by JoeGuy; 10-22-2019 at 03:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeGuy View Post
    Would people on here recommend grabbing the Infinite Crisis & Final Crisis Omnibus'? They would both be the most I have spent on an omnibus, so I'm just wondering if event omnibus with all the tie-ins can hold a certain level of consistency and quality?
    I would absolutely buy the Infinite Crisis Omni if I didn't already have it. Others will disagree, but I found it to be a nearly perfect event, and it's collected sensibly. It holds up upon re-read like no other event I can think of.

Final Crisis, I'll let someone else speak to.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    I would absolutely buy the Infinite Crisis Omni if I didn't already have it. Others will disagree, but I found it to be a nearly perfect event, and it's collected sensibly. It holds up upon re-read like no other event I can think of.

Final Crisis, I'll let someone else speak to.
    I agree with you. The layout of the book is great and the series and minis leading into it are good which is usually a rarity for events.

I enjoy both, but Final Crisis is not for everyone I would suggest getting it in trade form and trying. I love it and excited it is getting an omnibus and also have the absolute my favorite Crisis.

Infinite Crisis Omnibus is definitely worth getting. Most of the tie-ins and lead-ups are great and it is supposed to be in a good reading order. I can't wait for it.

I loved the Final Crisis event, and Legion of Three Worlds is amazing (though felt completely disconnected to Final Crisis), but most of the tie-ins and lead-ups I have not read. And if a lot of them are as disconnected as Legion of Three Worlds is, I have no idea how it's going to read as one big book.

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    DC needs to revive Superman: The Man of Tomorrow Book One.

I'm just not excited for the Exile omnibus.
    Was Man of Tomorrow Book One solicited to have content that isn't in the Exile Omnibus?
    Last edited by VanWinkle; 04-05-2018 at 06:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by VanWinkle View Post

Was Man of Tomorrow Book One solicited to have content that isn't in the Exile Omnibus?
    No, it was solicited as what will be approximately the first 1/3 (give or take?) of the Omni.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

Last edited by JoeGuy; 10-22-2019 at 03:31 PM.

I’ve also a question about the 10th anniversary Final Crisis Omnibus...
    I’ve preordered it today off Amazon as it’s reduced to £70, from £107 the other day... It looks good value seeing as it’s over 1500 pages, but my question is are all these pages considered necessary or would picking up Absolute Final Crisis (which I can get for about £40) be better value and in regards the story, be just as good even though it’s over a 1000 pages less?
    Thanks in advance for any recommendations...

Did anyone buy the House of mystery and Secrets and what are they like, thanks in advance.
    Hail Hydra!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by JoeGuy View Post
    Thank you for all the feedback (even if my wallet isn't happy).

I have one question that's maybe more about market expectation or price history. As far as I understand, Infinite Crisis is a reprint, maybe with a new graphic cover & binding. While Final Crisis is a new collection.

So my question is, why does the newer book with 100's of more pages cost less than the reprint? It sounds like the preferable book, so I don't mind the price. I'm just wondering.
    I see both titles at $150. That doesn't technically answer your question, though - I imagine that $150 is sort of the ceiling DC thinks they can sell omnibii at before they price too many collectors out of the purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by NeathBlue View Post
    I’ve also a question about the 10th anniversary Final Crisis Omnibus...
    I’ve preordered it today off Amazon as it’s reduced to £70, from £107 the other day... It looks good value seeing as it’s over 1500 pages, but my question is are all these pages considered necessary or would picking up Absolute Final Crisis (which I can get for about £40) be better value and in regards the story, be just as good even though it’s over a 1000 pages less?
    Thanks in advance for any recommendations...
    Unless you have a strong sense of completionism, I'd stick w/the Absolute Edition (I have it; it's glorious). The tie-ins range from very good to poor, but none of them (that are not in the Absolute Edition) add to the story or really explain what happened during some sort of cut-away scene. The three main minis - Crisis on 3 Worlds, Revelations, and Rogues Revenge - are better understood as continuations of other ongoing stories. Crisis on 3 Worlds is the follow up to The Lightning Saga and Superman and the Legion (both by Johns). Revelations is the next step in the saga of Renee Montoya (following from the Five Books of Blood mini). Rogues Revenge is another Flash by Johns story, following up on the conclusion from the Bart Allen-led Flash: Fastest Man Alive series. If you're simultaneously interested in all three of those minis and Final Crisis, sure, get the omnibus.

Anyone who is on the fence between the FC and the IC omnibuses I would say go for IC. As others said basically the whole omnibus is a cohesive and satisfying read unless you are against Johns' style and updates he brought to superhero comics (lot of people don't like how much violence he uses).
    I LOVE Final Crisis but it's not an easy read and Morrison didn't really care for any of the tie ins he didn't write himself and those are all included in the new ed. trade or the Absolute. I would definitely buy FC first in a cheaper format and see if you like it and want to read it again or maybe read more material even if they are just loosely connected.

Quote Originally Posted by soundsci View Post
    Anyone have recommendations for DC Absolutes? I've been looking to try this format but can't decide on which title to get.

Some I'm considering:

All-Star Superman (upgrade over TPB)
    Batman Hush (only own digitally)
    Absolute Authority v1 (haven't read this yet but it's been on my list)
    Justice League: The World's Greatest Superheroes (no idea what this is but it's cheap and oversized Alex Ross art is appealing)
    Absolute Sandman v1 (upgrade over TPB)

...but I'm not aware of all Absolutes, so any suggestions would be welcome! Also, are there any titles I should stay away from? I've read that not all art benefits from this format.
    I am a big Absolute Edition fan (prefer them over Omnibus) and I have a suggestion for you. You are going to get a lot of good replies for various books and you probably can't go wrong. But for your first couple purchases, I think you should consider upgrades of comics you LOVE. That way you will really appreciate the increase in size, and proudly look at it when it's sitting on your shelf. I don't believe your first purchase should be something you've never read before.