View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Spectacular Member RickyMeister's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rimmer View Post
    I would love for them to release these in the collected fat TPBs, ala the Kyle Jordan run, etc... they just put the 3 Flash omnis from Johns in TPB form, and they're doing it for his Titans run and his JSA run, so I would think/hope that GL would be coming as well. I love this run, only read pieces of it, but those omnis are HUGE and I'd rather have them in more readable format (or reprint them in 4-5 smaller omnis), although i'm sure my opinion is in the minority.

Man, I just got the Fourth World omni from someone off ebay (front cover cut off, so it's got the few minor defects, but I knew this going in and am 100% fine with it - nabbed it for ~$35!) - anyways, HOLY COW that is the biggest book I have ever owned! OUtside of Sin City and Colossal Conan, that might be the biggest book ever (probably not...) Again, I would have preferred them to split this among 2 books, but I can see why they wanted a 'done in one' version. Personally I don't care about a few pages being wonky, I can't wait to read it in its oversized, crazy Kirby glory!
    Since i have started collecting they are the first hardcovers i wanted to buy but have put them off due to the size. I would love if they released them as trades as i would probably go and pick up all his other big trades to go with them. Same thing with the infinite crisis omni, i can get it for a really good price but the size of that thing is off putting.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Cpn Craig, or others, anyone know what numbers Green Arrow GA omni pulled in its first month? Was it comparable to ~700-750 range? I would think if it was, that bodes well for other non-bats/Supes/WW GA omnis for the future.
    Raffi has the line on this. I tried going to the comichron site but couldn't locate it.
    I seem to recall it sold in the 600 range. There was a thread just for the Green Arrow Golden Age Omni and a link was posted to mapping of DC GA Omnis.
    If GA Green Arrow were to be completed it would only be 3 volumes. So come on DC, just do that!

There was rumor of a Golden Age Aquaman Omni that never materialized. What the rumor was based upon I don't know. Probably just the upcoming movie but instead we are getting the Johns Aquaman Omni, that's my guess.

As a side whoever did that mapping did a good job. The solicit for GA WW vol.3 is only off by 1 issue.
    Same with GA Batman vol.6
    Last edited by Captain Craig; 07-18-2018 at 09:01 AM.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Graphic Autist View Post
    Why is there no Byrne Supes Omnibus? I’d buy that.
    For some reason I have a feeling one might be in the works (based on nothing at all but my own intuition!).

As has been pointed out, the nine volume run of trades doesn't necessarily read all that well, so hopefully DC is addressing that rather than just slapping a few of those together between hard covers can calling it an omni. I'm sure the sales on the Exile omni are being taken into account as well, as a gauge for interest in material from that era.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Incredible Member Graphic Autist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    For some reason I have a feeling one might be in the works (based on nothing at all but my own intuition!).

As has been pointed out, the nine volume run of trades doesn't necessarily read all that well...
    Is that due to all the crossovers? I never read these in trades.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Graphic Autist View Post
    Is that due to all the crossovers? I never read these in trades.
    There are actually relatively few crossovers until the last few volumes. A lot of the stories run in only one of the three titles, but they're not collected that way. For instance - and this is just an example, I don't have any of the books in front of me: say a story ran between Superman #8-10, you might get the chronological order of Superman #8, Adventures #430, Action Comics #591, Superman #9, etc. The fact that the covers are reprinted all in the back as opposed to with their respective issues doesn't help either.

Hope this long winded explanation makes some sort of sense. I'm sure someone else can explain more succintly.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Wow, pleasantly surprised to see that this did so well. Can't remember if the first two were as successful...?

Now if only they'd finish off the new editions of the Rucka TPB's...
    What the heck happened there? I know Johns Flash was delayed a bit...but it eventually came out. (Last week I believe). Why the wait here? I loved every page of the series! Don't they need just one more fat trade to finish it off??

I agree with you. Marvel has been putting quite a few Byrne-centric omnis over the past year or two, and DC is sort of doing the same thing (at least with Wonder Woman). Perhaps the big two are giving him some love because (A) they sell and (B) maybe there's something else going on - royalties or contractual shenanigans or who knows.

Anyways, I agree, I would think/hope some Byrne Superman would be coming in the future. Which would be all kinds of awesome.
    "Boomerang arrow, Kate... It comes back to you in the end. Boomerang. Respect it." - Clint
    "Why the hell do you need an arrow that comes back to you after you shoot it, Clint?" - Kate
    "Because... Boomerangs." - Clint.

Incredible Member

I would love for them to release these in the collected fat TPBs, ala the Kyle Jordan run, etc... they just put the 3 Flash omnis from Johns in TPB form, and they're doing it for his Titans run and his JSA run, so I would think/hope that GL would be coming as well. I love this run, only read pieces of it, but those omnis are HUGE and I'd rather have them in more readable format (or reprint them in 4-5 smaller omnis), although i'm sure my opinion is in the minority.
    As they've this week just released the final Johns Flash TPB I wouldn't be surprised if his GL run was next (possibly even in the next batch of solicits)

[/QUOTE]Man, I just got the Fourth World omni from someone off ebay (front cover cut off, so it's got the few minor defects, but I knew this going in and am 100% fine with it - nabbed it for ~$35!) - anyways, HOLY COW that is the biggest book I have ever owned! OUtside of Sin City and Colossal Conan, that might be the biggest book ever (probably not...) Again, I would have preferred them to split this among 2 books, but I can see why they wanted a 'done in one' version. Personally I don't care about a few pages being wonky, I can't wait to read it in its oversized, crazy Kirby glory![/QUOTE]

I know what you mean, my brother got me this omni for my birthday and its a monster of a book! And I'm still barely a quarter of a way through it

Spectacular Member RickyMeister's Avatar

Do you think the flash from rebirth to flashpoint will be collected in a trade? Either as volume 6 or with a different name?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    I have been reading the Infinite Crisis Omnibus and it is a big book, expensive, but I love all the events leading up to the main series. I am so surprised how much I enjoy those old big events after complaining so much about them. Rann Thanagar, Days of Vengeance, Villains United, Crisis of Conscience, and the main series all deliver.
    Yeah, totally. AND Even though I own the original printing of the Omnibus, I kinda wanna buy the new printing just because I like it so much!

Incredible Member

This weeks trades:

Batman & Robin Adventures Vol 3
    Batman & Robin Adventures 19-25
    Batman & Robin Adventures Annual 2

Flash by Geoff Johns Vol 5
    Flash 1/2
    Flash 214-225
    Wonder Woman 214
    Extras: Secret of Barry Allen TPB Cover

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by RickyMeister View Post
    Do you think the flash from rebirth to flashpoint will be collected in a trade? Either as volume 6 or with a different name?
    I hope they do, there's 22 issues remaining of Flash volume 2 after the 5x Geoff Johns TPB's so they could easily do two trades of 11 issues each (along with a reprint of the 13 issue Flash: The Fastest Man Alive series) then Flash Rebirth happens followed by Flash Vol 3 which is only 12 issues before Flashpoint/Nu52 occurs

Quote Originally Posted by JAG2045 View Post
    I hope they do, there's 22 issues remaining of Flash volume 2 after the 5x Geoff Johns TPB's so they could easily do two trades of 11 issues each (along with a reprint of the 13 issue Flash: The Fastest Man Alive series) then Flash Rebirth happens followed by Flash Vol 3 which is only 12 issues before Flashpoint/Nu52 occurs
    It’s more convoluted than that - after the initial Johns run, Flash Vol 2 goes until Infinite Crisis (#226-230); following the events of Infinite Crisis, there’s the Fastest Man alive series. Then Wally comes back in the JLA/JSA crossover Lightning Saga (collected separately), followed by All-Flash #1, and the remainder of the Flash Vol 2 series (#231-247).

Then Barry returns in Final Crisis, plus the Revenge of the Rogues by Johns (collected already separately), then Flash: Rebirth, Blackest Night: Flash, THEN the series up to Flashpoint.

So it’d be easy enough to do Flash: Rebirth through to Flashpoint (including the Blackest Night issues as a bonus maybe? Not sure they work out of the context of Blackest Night), but the post-Johns Flash Volume 2 up to Rebirth isn’t quite as cut and dried, at least if you want a coherent reading experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Grayson View Post

So it’d be easy enough to do Flash: Rebirth through to Flashpoint (including the Blackest Night issues as a bonus maybe? Not sure they work out of the context of Blackest Night), but the post-Johns Flash Volume 2 up to Rebirth isn’t quite as cut and dried, at least if you want a coherent reading experience.
    I always thought this would make a nice final omnibus for Johns' Flash run although it also could be included in one big Flashpoint omnibus with the Flashpoint mini-series.

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    I always thought this would make a nice final omnibus for Johns' Flash run although it also could be included in one big Flashpoint omnibus with the Flashpoint mini-series.
    Agreed, seems like a no-brainer to make a Barry Allen Flash by Johns omni. It’s got Johns’ name on it, so I expect it’s a matter of time.