View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Incredible Member

Is there any recommended reading before getting into the Infinite Crisis omnibus?

Quote Originally Posted by RamblingMan View Post
    Is there any recommended reading before getting into the Infinite Crisis omnibus?
    Identity crisis but only for continuity. Many don't care for that story but it also has many fans too (kinda divisive although I think in recent years it gained more "haters")
    But it's just as fine if you skip it.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by RamblingMan View Post
    The omnibus is pretty well complete - there is nothing you'd *have* to read, I don't think, to understand the story. That having been said, Adam Strange: Planet Heist is pretty entertaining and leads into Rann-Thanagar War (the machinations under which the Green Lantern Corps is reborn is not necessary to understand R-T War, but it's relevant to know Green Lantern: Rebirth was right before). Identity Crisis, as mentioned above, is the foundation for some of the conflict in JLA 115-119 and The OMAC Project. There are all sorts of other things you could read just for flavor (e.g. Teen Titans to understand Connor Kent's situation just before IC), but I don't think any of it is necessary.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by bob/.schoonover View Post
    The omnibus is pretty well complete - there is nothing you'd *have* to read, I don't think, to understand the story. That having been said, Adam Strange: Planet Heist is pretty entertaining and leads into Rann-Thanagar War (the machinations under which the Green Lantern Corps is reborn is not necessary to understand R-T War, but it's relevant to know Green Lantern: Rebirth was right before). Identity Crisis, as mentioned above, is the foundation for some of the conflict in JLA 115-119 and The OMAC Project. There are all sorts of other things you could read just for flavor (e.g. Teen Titans to understand Connor Kent's situation just before IC), but I don't think any of it is necessary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    Identity crisis but only for continuity. Many don't care for that story but it also has many fans too (kinda divisive although I think in recent years it gained more "haters")
    Thanks. Sounds like I can jump right in. It's big enough on its own regardless! Finishing up some books first (trying to not leave too many books not yet completed) and wanted to read this one soon.

Mighty Member

Got my Batman by Morrison Omnibus today. Gave it a quick flip through and was pretty happy with it (I have read these issues a dozen or more times, so a flip through really does pop the memory). The two bonus pages by Chris Burnham are pretty solid - one page after 670 fills in the gaps between it and 671, then one page after 671 explains the conclusion to The Resurrection of Ra's al Ghul. There are also Final Crisis recap pages before and after 682 and 683 - these aren't redrawn, they just take a few panels from FC + some supporting text so that the Last Rites story has some context. The page after 683 does a decent job of covering the Batman's showdown with Darkseid (although it's far less poetic than Morrison's writing, natch), so I think one can read the three (presumably) Morrison omnibii back to back to back w/o needing to jump out for FC.

Speaking of Morrison Batman omni, I was just coming here to say that IST has them in stock again. I got the UPS tracking email that it had shipped, and low and behold it's on their site again. Get it while it's hot! ;-)
    "Boomerang arrow, Kate... It comes back to you in the end. Boomerang. Respect it." - Clint
    "Why the hell do you need an arrow that comes back to you after you shoot it, Clint?" - Kate
    "Because... Boomerangs." - Clint.

Extraordinary Member

Does anyone know what approach the Infinite Crisis omnibus takes to the credits? I assume it's the old DC approach of eliminating the credits from the main story and printing them on a separate page, but I wanted to check.

Speaking of credits, I got the new Teen Titans volume 3 omnibus and while it's not perfect it's nice to finally see "The Judas Contract" reprinted with all the credits and titles and "next issue" tags intact, after so many reprints that screwed around with them. With an old comic there's just no excuse for trying to make the comics look like they're anything but monthly stories - they simply don't read like graphic novels and there's no point in pretending.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by bob/.schoonover View Post
    The page after 683 does a decent job of covering the Batman's showdown with Darkseid (although it's far less poetic than Morrison's writing, natch), so I think one can read the three (presumably) Morrison omnibii back to back to back w/o needing to jump out for FC.
    Careful. Don't want to raise the ire of certain board members who insist any and everything must be included and properly placed

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I really enjoyed Infinite Crisis and it really is a love letter to the big wacky endless expanse of the DC universe. I had to read the 52 Omnibus afterward and it is a murderer's row of talent. Breakdowns by Keith Giffen, Rucka, Waid, Morrison, and Johns on the main story. D.C was on fire back then!
    Last edited by Johnny Thunders!; 07-29-2018 at 07:06 AM.

Spectacular Member

Wish they would release Infinite Crisis and 52 in a couple of Deluxes. I find the Omnibus too big and unwhieldy to read comfortably. In the end I skipped both because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Suriel View Post
    Wish they would release Infinite Crisis and 52 in a couple of Deluxes. I find the Omnibus too big and unwhieldy to read comfortably. In the end I skipped both because of it.
    I believe you can get the Infinite Crisis storyline in an Absolute edition (or it's supposed to be released soon as I recall). It obviously doesn't have the tie-ins but it will look nice and it's easier to read.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    I really enjoyed Infinite Crisis and it really is a love letter to the big wacky endless expanse of the DC universe. I had to read the 52 Omnibus afterward and it is a murderer's row of talent. Breakdowns by Keith Griffen, Rucka, Waid, Morrison, and Johns on the main story. D.C was on fire back then!
    It was a creative high point for sure. When the N52 Futures End and Batman Eternal was released, I thought for sure it would result in the same level of superb...I was mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    It hasn‘t. They‘re just more vocal now and in general people tend to hold a grudge longer - particularly if someone „messes“ with a perceived status quo or what some think is „their“ character or world. See what developed out of the initial criticism of Zack Snyder‘s Superman and the latest Star Wars or (though on a different level altogether) Gamergate.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    I believe you can get the Infinite Crisis storyline in an Absolute edition (or it's supposed to be released soon as I recall). It obviously doesn't have the tie-ins but it will look nice and it's easier to read.
    I already have the Absolute Edition and was looking forward to read it all. Sadly there is only the trade route or the Omnibus route. Would have wished for a Deluxe treatment like The Invisibles ....

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Default Batman Morrison Omnibus - amazon.co.uk

I got this email from amazon.co.uk:

Hello,

Please be advised that we have a revised delivery date for the items you ordered on July 11 2018 (Order #).

Grant Morrison "Batman By Grant Morrison Omnibus Vol. 1"
    Estimated arrival date: July 31 2018 - August 02 2018

For more details, please visit the Your Account section of our web site :

You have not yet been charged for this item. We do not debit money from your payment card until just before your items are dispatched. We will send you a dispatch confirmation email on the date of dispatch.