View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeGuy View Post
    I believe the "House of Mystery omnibus" is out in January & "DC showcase House of secrets volume 3" might not have been released or is cancelled.
    Thank you Joe for the info I can call the hounds off now. I love the collected horror editions but it is very hard to find out what is coming out in the near future from any of the publishers.
    Hail Hydra!

Last edited by JoeGuy; 10-22-2019 at 03:16 PM.

Spectacular Member

I hope we don't have to wait until 2020 to complete the Morrison Batman omnis

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crossfist View Post
    I hope we don't have to wait until 2020 to complete the Morrison Batman omnis
    Well, DC has solicited data for the first 3 months of 2019. Plenty of time but even still 2020 is very close and DC has to allot for other collections.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by The Cheat View Post
    I'm glad the Infinite Crisis omni has the covers in the right places, but I wish they'd identify the issues somehow. Ideally I'd love it if they reprinted the covers exactly as was, but I can understand why some people would prefer to see the unblemished art. At least print the issue # on the next page with the story title and creator credits though.
    Yes it's absurd that there is no table of contents for this omnibus.

Fantastic Member

Anyone have recommendations for gold or silver age omnibus volumes for someone who hasn’t read much from those eras. I do have the Doom Patrol silver age omnibus but struggled through it and gave up 1/3 of the way through. But the idea of cheesy or fun Batman/Superman/JLA stories does intrigue me.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by soundsci View Post
    Anyone have recommendations for gold or silver age omnibus volumes for someone who hasn’t read much from those eras. I do have the Doom Patrol silver age omnibus but struggled through it and gave up 1/3 of the way through. But the idea of cheesy or fun Batman/Superman/JLA stories does intrigue me.
    You should download some issues before buying anything else or check out the trades. A lot of the golden/silver age stuff is in trade format. For silver age , I have read chunks of Flash, Doom Patrol (which I found pretty decent), Green Lantern and Adam strange. I have only read a handful of Batman/Supeman silver age so cant comment too much except that they were sort of silly. The Flash is the best of the bunch although I must add that anything to do with Wally West in the silver age is not as interesting as he usually deals with lesser crimes. Green Lantern while having high points would be at my bottom.

I got volume 1 of Silver Age Green Lantern omnibus and volume 3 of Silver Age Flash omnibus and both are difficult to take seriously.
    I doubt I will ever finish either or that I will buy any more volumes.
    For me (and in all honesty) there are to many other books from the past forty years I would rather be reading and so can only
    give these and other Silver Age stories a few minutes every now and than.
    I can read a modern story even if my mind is not in it, but with Silver Age, and some Bronze, I need to be focused or else the many
    words and editorial descriptions become a blur.
    Silver Age Justice League of America is cringe worthy while Bronze Age Justice League Of America is actually fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    Yeah, that works for me too. Although, I sometimes like to sit on an easy armchair with my feet on a pouffet. I become an easy target for our cats then also as they like to make themselves comfortable on my legs.
    You're all doing it wrong! Youre supposed to raise and lower your omni with one arm. So then you can get pumped and muscular, while you read.

In a seriousness, it does hurt my neck.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by soundsci View Post
    I'd recommend Bob Haney's The Brave and the Bold, which is being collected in two Bronze Age omnibus collections (one out now, one out soon).

Haney's stories are completely insane; he didn't care about continuity and wrote all the Batman team-up stories with no regard for the way any other character was being written anywhere else; and he did the weirdest stories, like Batman selling his soul to Hitler and a bad guy threatening to kill the artist of the story unless he makes Batman lose. But the stories are fun because they're so crazy, and they have a lot of good art from Neal Adams and then, for most of the run, with Jim Aparo doing probably his best work.

So it's Silver Age style insanity with more sophisticated Bronze Age art.

Incredible Member Graphic Autist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    I'd recommend Bob Haney's The Brave and the Bold, which is being collected in two Bronze Age omnibus collections (one out now, one out soon).

Batman selling his soul to Hitler
    I need to read this.

So I am sure this has been talk about to death so sorry to flog the dead horse.

What do you guys think would be collected in a Morrison JLA omnibus or two if we get them and what should be the mapping ?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post

Haney's stories are completely insane; he didn't care about continuity and wrote all the Batman team-up stories with no regard for the way any other character was being written anywhere else; and he did the weirdest stories, like Batman selling his soul to Hitler and a bad guy threatening to kill the artist of the story unless he makes Batman lose. But the stories are fun because they're so crazy, and they have a lot of good art from Neal Adams and then, for most of the run, with Jim Aparo doing probably his best work.

So it's Silver Age style insanity with more sophisticated Bronze Age art.
    I like Brave and the Bold a lot. I have the first volume and the second on pre-order. Great stuff. It takes a few issues to pick up as the first few feel more like straight up silver age which for Batman is not a good thing for me. It does smooth over into bronze age material. The only downside is that it just makes me want a proper bronze age Batman omnibus all the more.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by My Two Cents View Post
    I got volume 1 of Silver Age Green Lantern omnibus and volume 3 of Silver Age Flash omnibus and both are difficult to take seriously.
    I doubt I will ever finish either or that I will buy any more volumes.
    For me (and in all honesty) there are to many other books from the past forty years I would rather be reading and so can only
    give these and other Silver Age stories a few minutes every now and than.
    I can read a modern story even if my mind is not in it, but with Silver Age, and some Bronze, I need to be focused or else the many
    words and editorial descriptions become a blur.
    Silver Age Justice League of America is cringe worthy while Bronze Age Justice League Of America is actually fun.
    They aren't for everyone. Modern scripting is less wordy. Some of that is due to the era and target audience.
    You get props for trying another era at least.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Morrison's Batman omni is out of stock again.

What's the deal with this thing? I've never seen a book go out of stock so soon, and so frequently - even similarly popular titles.