View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.

DC 52 Vol.1 and Vol.2 (the 52 issue weekly series) was re-released in 26 issue TPB in 2016.

Any word on these? Are they glossy paperstock? They seem like a lot of pages (26 issues) for a DC TPB and quality paper.

Thanks!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by AstonishingXMan View Post
    DC 52 Vol.1 and Vol.2 (the 52 issue weekly series) was re-released in 26 issue TPB in 2016.

Any word on these? Are they glossy paperstock? They seem like a lot of pages (26 issues) for a DC TPB and quality paper.

Thanks!
    I just got volume 1 in an order the other day. Decent glossy paper and its the exact thickness of a Marvel epic I compared it with.
    I find very thin glossy paper will go instantly wavy when it comes into my house (and will flatten out later). The 52 volume didnt go wavy at all.
    Last edited by RamblingMan; 08-11-2018 at 05:56 AM.

Got Batman by Doug Moench and Kelley Jones today. It is a very nice book
    Nice glossy paper with colors that jump out. I read the first story and enjoyed it
    very much.

Quote Originally Posted by AstonishingXMan View Post

Thanks!
    For 52 you want to stick with the original 4-volume tpb's over the omnibus or the newer 2 volume tpb's (because DC collected editions dept is incompetent).

Probably been asked before but which out of Tomasi and Synders Batman runs are thought of as the best? Or do they both have their moments

I enjoyed Scott Snyder's Detective Comics run the most.
    I don't think Scott is top tier when it comes to building a story and hitting the landing,
    but I do feel he among the small elite when it comes to solid character writing.
    He draws you into the story and than you look forward to the next and again you
    are drawn in and than again and again, until you reflect on what has come before and where
    the story stands and suddenly realize nowhere, that everything is just puffing up book
    after book to fill a trade and the ending will never be worthy of the long wait.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    For 52 you want to stick with the original 4-volume tpb's over the omnibus or the newer 2 volume tpb's (because DC collected editions dept is incompetent).
    What's wrong with the omnibus?

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboydce View Post
    Probably been asked before but which out of Tomasi and Synders Batman runs are thought of as the best? Or do they both have their moments
    I prefer Tomasi but since you are ready to take a flamethrower to your collection I don't think I would recommend that.
    I genuinely really liked his B&R omnibus outside of a couple of issues that were either annuals or tie ins to other events and also (I've mentioned this before so sorry if I'm repetitive) I think his plans got screwed over by Morrison's Batman INC.
    But the tone, storytelling and character portrayals were really entertaining to me.
    Buuuuut, I really like Morrison's Batman too and I know you didn't care for that.

Off topic: have you maybe thought of stepping away from the hobby for a moth or two? Maybe you've just need some space and then come back and see how you really feel?

Quote Originally Posted by Crossfist View Post
    What's wrong with the omnibus?
    it doesn't have the extras the 4 trades had. I'm usually not that interested in extras but in 52 they had comments from the writers about the development of the series and they are really interesting. I understand the exclusion from the omnibus, that books is thick enough as it is but they really should have added them to the 2 new chunky trades.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post

Off topic: have you maybe thought of stepping away from the hobby for a moth or two? Maybe you've just need some space and then come back and see how you really feel?
    Trouble is I have a massive backlog of stuff to get through, I think I just want a clear out, still enjoying some stuff, the last James Bond book, just started Grendel vs The Shadow, man i fuckin love the Shadow, maybe it’s just Superhero stuff I’m bored with

Incredible Member

I like both Tomasi and Snyder and think they are both decent Batman runs. I felt Snyders run sort of fell off a bit after Death of the Family although I still enjoyed what came after. Like going from A grade material early on to B grade the rest of the way.

Incredible Member

Trouble is I have a massive backlog of stuff to get through, I think I just want a clear out, still enjoying some stuff, the last James Bond book, just started Grendel vs The Shadow, man i fuckin love the Shadow, maybe it’s just Superhero stuff I’m bored with
    Tastes change over time. I used to love Jimi Hendrix. Now I never listen to him. You may want to take a break before you clear out stuff.

Are you hurting for money? If not why not just wait and get back to that backlog later?
    I think your current mood influences your reading experience. I have periods like this too.
    But I agree the Shadow is awesome especially written by Wagner. Sadly there aren't many great series with him.

Grendel vs Shadow is a return to form for Wagner...his best book in years.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Grendel vs Shadow is a return to form for Wagner...his best book in years.
    What’s his Green Hornet and Zorro like?