View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Yeah I'm thinking about getting that Loeb/Sales omni also. I've never read any of that material but interested in The Long Halloween, and this omni seems like a good way.

Anyone else going to take advantage of the extra 3% at IST this weekend? I'm going to pick up WW by Perez omni 1, maybe something else. Debating on the Dark Knight Detective TPB cause I want to start reading post-Crisis Batman, wish they'd do an omni instead. But I already have Year One and I'd probably get the Deluxe of Year Two...seems pretty scattershot though. Anybody else have that tpb (DKD) yet?

Incredible Member Graphic Autist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by My Two Cents View Post
    Two omnibuses coming out next week that look like they could be fun to read.
    I have not read either, but I would like to know if both or one is good from people who have read the stories.
    I am referring to Loeb and Sales Omnibus and Universe X Alpha Omnibus
    I thought the Loeb Omni comes out first week of September...

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    What are peoples thoughts on the Jeph Loeb & Tim Sale Batman Omnibus vs. the absolutes that contain the same material?

I have The Long Halloween Absolute, but I think I might prefer the omnibus instead. However, I do appreciate the "unfinished" paper in the Absolute.

Anyone trading them out, sticking with the Absolute, or keeping both?
    I have Long Halloween and Dark Victory in Absolutes. I have no interest in Haunted Knight. I'll be sticking with the Absolutes as I think these stories work well in this format. Normally, I would go with the Omnibus as it's my favourite format.

I have not read either, but I would like to know if both or one is good from people who have read the stories.
    The Long Halloween and Dark Victory are my personal favorite Batman stories. If you have any interest in Batman at all they are must read.

I'll be picking up the Loeb/Sale omnibus, only because I never bought the absolutes. This has been on my wishlist for awhile.

Incredible Member Graphic Autist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OldManBrian View Post
    The Long Halloween and Dark Victory are my personal favorite Batman stories. If you have any interest in Batman at all they are must read.
    Definitely ordering this.

Quote Originally Posted by Graphic Autist View Post
    I thought the Loeb Omni comes out first week of September...
    Yes it does.

This week Fantastic Four omnibus vol.1
    John Byrne Fantastic Four Omnibus vol.1
    Batman Brave And The Bold Bronze Age Omnibus vol.2
    all come out.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ER Prest View Post
    I'll be picking up the Loeb/Sale omnibus, only because I never bought the absolutes. This has been on my wishlist for awhile.
    Same here.

Also hoping for a Miller Omnibus (including The Last Crusade).

I think Long Halloween is overhyped as it's just OK. It's definitely worth a read as it's a solid inclusion to the Batman-mythos, but I don't see it as being anything noteworthy, other than that.....Dark Victory I couldn't get into.

I'm not a big fan of Loeb's writing, so that might be a part of it. That said, Long Halloween is better written than the majority of his works.

Asked this in the DC threads, but did not get much feedback...

Trying to build up my DC Collection.

Was hoping to get some feedback on The Crisis Events and how new reader friendly they are or aren't...

I have read some DC...mostly Batman, Superman, & Wonder Woman. However, I want to expand a bit further.

I was looking into Crisis on Infinite Earths, Infinite Crisis, & Final Crisis.

I know the basis of each event, but wanted to get some feedback from people who have actually read the events and are very familiar with DC.

As a sidebar, I did read & enjoy 52 (which I know is somewhat of a follow-up to Infinite Crisis). While I did not know who every character was going into it, I was able to learn quite quickly while progressing through the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    Asked this in the DC threads, but did not get much feedback...

Trying to build up my DC Collection.

Was hoping to get some feedback on The Crisis Events and how new reader friendly they are or aren't...

I have read some DC...mostly Batman, Superman, & Wonder Woman. However, I want to expand a bit further.

I was looking into Crisis on Infinite Earths, Infinite Crisis, & Final Crisis.

I know the basis of each event, but wanted to get some feedback from people who have actually read the events and are very familiar with DC.

As a sidebar, I did read & enjoy 52 (which I know is somewhat of a follow-up to Infinite Crisis). While I did not know who every character was going into it, I was able to learn quite quickly while progressing through the story.
    I think you should definitely check out Infinite crisis, preferably the omnibus since it's the most comprehensive collection. Final crisis is weird and requires a lot of background knowledge but if you like challenging reads that reward multiple rereads and don't mind some unconventional storytelling it's pretty good too. (don't wait for the omnibus though, the absolute or the new edition tpb is perfectly fine, the tie ins don't really add anything essential.)
    CoIE is dense as hell and pretty old school. It's a good read but it's exhausting and I kinda feel like it would have been stronger with half as many issues.

For new readers I would recommend most things Geoff Johns wrote: Green lantern, Flash, JSA. They all use a lot of DC history but he explains everything well and brings you up to speed.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    I think you should definitely check out Infinite crisis, preferably the omnibus since it's the most comprehensive collection. Final crisis is weird and requires a lot of background knowledge but if you like challenging reads that reward multiple rereads and don't mind some unconventional storytelling it's pretty good too. (don't wait for the omnibus though, the absolute or the new edition tpb is perfectly fine, the tie ins don't really add anything essential.)
    CoIE is dense as hell and pretty old school. It's a good read but it's exhausting and I kinda feel like it would have been stronger with half as many issues.

For new readers I would recommend most things Geoff Johns wrote: Green lantern, Flash, JSA. They all use a lot of DC history but he explains everything well and brings you up to speed.
    I may end up buying the new omnibus just so I can have a physical version of Legion of 3 Worlds. I love Perez's art and it seems like the TBP is out of print and it's not been included in the absolute.

Incredible Member

I am about 9-10 issues into COIE and I really like it and don’t find it dense at all but it depends on how much you like Bronze Age type material. All the ones Balakin recommended are great. For Flash, I found I liked Waids a bit more than Johns.
    For Infinite Crisis I would recommend reading some quick info on Adam Strange, Hawkman, Captain Marvel/Shazam and Spectre who form chunks of the backbone of the leading up to stories. You won’t be lost if you don’t but I found my knowledge of these
    characters added to my enjoyment.

Quote Originally Posted by Author View Post
    Same here.

Also hoping for a Miller Omnibus (including The Last Crusade).
    I think this is a fair bet for a future release. If they work something out with Image, it could include, in reading order:

-Batman #404-407
    -Spawn/Batman
    -All Star Batman and Robin the Boy Wonder #1-? (this was never finished as far as I know)
    -The Dark Knight Returns: The Last Crusade
    -Batman: The Dark Knight Returns #1-4
    -Batman: The Dark Knight Strikes Again #1-3
    -The Dark Knight III: The Master Race #1-9

But I see them releasing a Dark Knight by Miller omni with just the three DK limited series plus The Last Crusade.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post

Quote Originally Posted by RamblingMan View Post
    I am about 9-10 issues into COIE and I really like it and don’t find it dense at all but it depends on how much you like Bronze Age type material. All the ones Balakin recommended are great. For Flash, I found I liked Waids a bit more than Johns.
    For Infinite Crisis I would recommend reading some quick info on Adam Strange, Hawkman, Captain Marvel/Shazam and Spectre who form chunks of the backbone of the leading up to stories. You won’t be lost if you don’t but I found my knowledge of these
    characters added to my enjoyment.
    Thank you both very much!