View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I just started reading Seven Soldiers and it is so good. It's the best Kirby riff out there and if you loved Multiversity, I don't see how you wouldn't love this as well. It reads like Multiversity with third helpings of all the good stuff. I think the Art alone makes this a must read book. I would visit the library for this book!

Incredible Member Graphic Autist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    I just started reading Seven Soldiers and it is so good. It's the best Kirby riff out there and if you loved Multiversity, I don't see how you wouldn't love this as well. It reads like Multiversity with third helpings of all the good stuff. I think the Art alone makes this a must read book. I would visit the library for this book!
    I tried, but couldn't get into it. And I didn't finish, so maybe there was a pay-off. I understand Morrison can be erratic. I've read some his stuff and love it, and other stuff hate.

I did like Multiversity, though (for the most part...)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    I'm about 1/3 through the omnibus. I find it somewhat similar to Morrison's run on New X-Men in that I love certain aspects of it, but there are certain segments of the book I don't care for....With Seven Soldiers, so far I love the Zatanna & Klarion storylines, but don't care for the Manhattan Guardian storyline at all.....While Shining Knight's storyline is average at best. I'm only 2 chapters into each of those storylines, though. I'm assuming there'll be a pay-off toward the end.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

ComicShopNews #1628

Flipping through this after my return home from getting my books yesterday I noticed some bummer news.

Shazam!: The Monster Society of Evil Deluxe HC has officially been cancelled, again, after two prior solicits.
    Cancelled due to "concerns over its contents". DC adds there is no hope this will ever again be solicited.

Question: what contents are now suddenly a concern?
    I've not read this.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    ComicShopNews #1628

Flipping through this after my return home from getting my books yesterday I noticed some bummer news.

Shazam!: The Monster Society of Evil Deluxe HC has officially been cancelled, again, after two prior solicits.
    Cancelled due to "concerns over its contents". DC adds there is no hope this will ever again be solicited.

I've not read this.
    This was noted a little while ago. There was a thread about this over on the masterworks forum with some examples of racist content from the book.

Robin Reborn volume 1

The solicit for the CoIE Companion Deluxe Vol. 1 has changed completely. I knew something was off as several issues were also mentioned in the contents of Vol. 2.

So instead of
    JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #244, JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA ANNUAL #3, GREEN LANTERN #194, WONDER WOMAN #327-328, THE LOSERS SPECIAL #1, INFINITY INC. #18-20, DC COMICS PRESENTS #87-88, OMEGA MEN #31, BLUE DEVIL #17-18, NEW TEEN TITANS #13-14, ALL-STAR SQUADRON #50-51 and FURY OF FIRESTORM #41-42.

we will now get
    DC COMICS PRESENTS #78, ALL-STAR SQUADRON #50-60, THE FURY OF THE FIRESTORM #41-42, GREEN LANTERN #194-198.

which is fine by me as it will be much less of a hodgepodge of issues but rather at least two longer runs.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/08...nges-contents/

Quote Originally Posted by RamblingMan View Post
    This was noted a little while ago. There was a thread about this over on the masterworks forum with some examples of racist content from the book.
    Really? The content in question was not deemed as racist in 2007?
    I feel I need to see panels and if necessary surrounding context.
    This is bizarre sounding.

Quote Originally Posted by LordJulius View Post
    The solicit for the CoIE Companion Deluxe Vol. 1 has changed completely. I knew something was off as several issues were also mentioned in the contents of Vol. 2.

So instead of
    JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #244, JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA ANNUAL #3, GREEN LANTERN #194, WONDER WOMAN #327-328, THE LOSERS SPECIAL #1, INFINITY INC. #18-20, DC COMICS PRESENTS #87-88, OMEGA MEN #31, BLUE DEVIL #17-18, NEW TEEN TITANS #13-14, ALL-STAR SQUADRON #50-51 and FURY OF FIRESTORM #41-42.

we will now get
    DC COMICS PRESENTS #78, ALL-STAR SQUADRON #50-60, THE FURY OF THE FIRESTORM #41-42, GREEN LANTERN #194-198.

which is fine by me as it will be much less of a hodgepodge of issues but rather at least two longer runs.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/08...nges-contents/
    11 straight issues of All Star Squadron? Wah-Huh!? That would be the most issues of that series ever collected, am I right? I wasn't gonna get that book, but that many All Star Squadron I just might (BTW, I almost shorted All Star Squadron to its first letters, but, well, that spells something that's not very nice... ) ;-)
    "Boomerang arrow, Kate... It comes back to you in the end. Boomerang. Respect it." - Clint
    "Why the hell do you need an arrow that comes back to you after you shoot it, Clint?" - Kate
    "Because... Boomerangs." - Clint.

Quote Originally Posted by Rimmer View Post
    11 straight issues of All Star Squadron? Wah-Huh!? That would be the most issues of that series ever collected, am I right? I wasn't gonna get that book, but that many All Star Squadron I just might (BTW, I almost shorted All Star Squadron to its first letters, but, well, that spells something that's not very nice... ) ;-)
    What do you have got against Morrison‘s All Star Superman? But seriously, that is actually how most people here have shortened All Star Supes for years.

But yes, an oversized collection of All Star Squadron issues is awesome. I still have the first 20 or so floppies of the series and they‘re great Bronze Age fun.

Afaik the problem isn‘t that the content is racist per se, but - and this is what many people are guessing - that WB doesn‘t want to get the internet pitchfork community up in arms when they‘re about to release a major motion picture of Shazam around the same time, even though the book would surely have had some editorial remarks or essays explaining the racism and putting it into context.

ComicShopNews #1628

I've not read this.
    I posted this a really long time ago, and it got zero attention. So I wonder if people even care if it will not be released.

Quote Originally Posted by LordJulius View Post
    Afaik the problem isn‘t that the content is racist per se, but - and this is what many people are guessing - that WB doesn‘t want to get the internet pitchfork community up in arms when they‘re about to release a major motion picture of Shazam around the same time, even though the book would surely have had some editorial remarks or essays explaining the racism and putting it into context.
    True and sad. Add the death of this book to having to be hyper aware of the hyper critical over emotional crowd that has ruined social media.
    Knee-jerks reign supreme on the internet.

Incredible Member

The thread over on masterworks forum has examples people posted.
    https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/marv...120.html?amp=1
    Last edited by RamblingMan; 08-30-2018 at 01:44 PM.

^^^^
    The panels I saw i that link were from the 40s.
    I got the impression it was the Jeff Smith Shazam MSE books from 2007.

Yes, that 40s material is for sure racist, it was a different time. Is society going to from henceforth just censor anything without a historical prism? The only context that matters is that of the present? If so I fear for our society.