View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    ^^^^
    The panels I saw i that link were from the 40s.
    I got the impression it was the Jeff Smith Shazam MSE books from 2007.

Yes, that 40s material is for sure racist, it was a different time. Is society going to from henceforth just censor anything without a historical prism? The only context that matters is that of the present? If so I fear for our society.
    As far as I know it was the 40s book cancelled.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RamblingMan View Post
    As far as I know it was the 40s book cancelled.
    Check, thanks for the clarification.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Incredible Member Graphic Autist's Avatar

I noticed the binding on V1 of Geoff Johns’ GL Omni is much tighter than the bind on V2. Seems durable otherwise.

I have many more Marvel Omnis as opposed to DC, but it seems DC builds their books better than Marvel and also has better paper quality.

I think they both have there ups and downs.
    Marvel tend to lay flat more and D C tend to have better paper .
    I ask only five things in an omnibus

1- strong binding that is sewn and very little glue
    2- quality printing and paper that ink don't bleed through
    3- pages that stay open and lay flat through majority of the book
    4- no missing or switched panels or words
    5- consistency in cover dressing for run (more of a wish)

As for number 4, should we have to ask?

Still love my JLI Omni...

Amazing Member

I really like the paper DC has been using in some of their more recent omnibus. Flash by Manapul Omni, Morrison Batman Omni and Seven Soldiers all have a really nice paper stock. The Manapul Flash omnibus is beautiful and after a bit has almost no gutter loss, which makes it amazing considering all the 2 page spreads in that run.

Quote Originally Posted by HuggyBear View Post
    I really like the paper DC has been using in some of their more recent omnibus. Flash by Manapul Omni, Morrison Batman Omni and Seven Soldiers all have a really nice paper stock. The Manapul Flash omnibus is beautiful and after a bit has almost no gutter loss, which makes it amazing considering all the 2 page spreads in that run.
    I like the paper quality, especially the Deluxe Editions. Uncoated stock for material that came out when it did.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I am so bummed that "Seven Soldiers" doesn't stick the landing for some people. For my money, it reads like Jack Kirby's 4th World in execution and ambition. The art alone makes the series worth reading, but the story works. I like it more than Animal Man, Doom Patrol, and the Invisibles. Maybe that says something about my tastes, but I might even like it more than his JLA run. And that says something!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    I am so bummed that "Seven Soldiers" doesn't stick the landing for some people. For my money, it reads like Jack Kirby's 4th World in execution and ambition. The art alone makes the series worth reading, but the story works. I like it more than Animal Man, Doom Patrol, and the Invisibles. Maybe that says something about my tastes, but I might even like it more than his JLA run. And that says something!
    I'm more than halfway through and I've started enjoying it more (Which doesn't surprise me). It's a pretty good book, so far. I'll make a post on this omni after I finish it, likely tomorrow as I relax on my day off due to the American Day of Labor.

Quote Originally Posted by Graphic Autist View Post
    I noticed the binding on V1 of Geoff Johns’ GL Omni is much tighter than the bind on V2. Seems durable otherwise.

I have many more Marvel Omnis as opposed to DC, but it seems DC builds their books better than Marvel and also has better paper quality.
    Marvel quality is going down a bit over recent years, or at least getting more inconsistent, but their bindings still lay more flat in general than DC books. That being said, DC's bindings are good enough (sometimes great) to consider their increase in paper quality over Marvel as the bigger difference.

Just finished Seven Soldiers.....It was certainly a unique storyline to read. Definitely one of my favorite Morrison books, but not at the top.

The segments I liked most from the first half of Seven Soldiers are still Klarion & Zatanna.....Shining Knight blasted off with issue #3, whereas Manhattan Guardian I still didn't care for until issue #4 (That was a great pay-off, I loved that issue).

The Mister Miracle segment was likely my least favorite, which is odd considering I remember a lot of people raving about that one back in the day. Bulleteer was cool, especially with the twist regarding her nemesis.

The fashion with which Morrison wove his web with these separate storylines, intricately connecting them in ways you wouldn't expect, was exhilarating.....And his spin on Roanoke was hilarious and came completely out of nowhere. I also like how Morrison connected various forms of folklore into the plot.

I must mention the paper quality on this omnibus is great. If I wasn't a stickler for keeping my books in pristine shape, I would tear out each page and lather them against my naked body so the ink can seep into my skin, thus giving me the writing ability of Grant Morrison, himself, so that one day, I, too, could craft work such as this. Like a modern day male version of Countess Bathory, if only such mental acuity could be bestowed upon my humble form.

It'll be interesting to see how I view this book when I eventually dive in for a re-read. I can only imagine, similar to television series like Game of Thrones and Westworld, or even films such as 12 Monkeys and The Zero Theorem, things which went unnoticed during my original sojourn shall be seen during my return....And I eagerly anticipate this event to occur. But, alas, I have other books to read first, lest they remain unmolested on my bookshelf for too long.
    Last edited by Ramsay Snow; 09-03-2018 at 06:30 PM. Reason: typo

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I was surprised how consistently good the entire series was throughout. Frankenstein reminded me of Swamp Thing and Hellboy. (I wish Jeff Lemire had more time with the character and did a Black Hammer level run on him.) The Mr. Miracle series sets up Final Crisis but I found the last couple of issues really good. I loved the Bulleteer, that one worked a lot better upon re-reading. I feel like the whole series is such a great showcase of talent. The final issue with the Kirby send up is just sublime! I enjoyed the Guardian too! i happened to flip through the old Bronze Age Justice League of America that features the 7 Soldiers and Morrison takes designs, characters, and he re-works them in such an original way.

According to Comiclist.com, DC has already gone to a second printing on the Batman by Grant Morrison Omnibus. Now, DC keeping something in print isn't exactly news, but I didn't expect this to sell out within two months.

I'm seeing more this "DC Essentials" line with this new Darksied War tpb. Honestly, is DC THAT embarrassed by the N52? I doubt we'll ever see an I, Vampire Essential Edition. That was a great series.

Quote Originally Posted by Vilynne View Post
    I'm seeing more this "DC Essentials" line with this new Darksied War tpb. Honestly, is DC THAT embarrassed by the N52? I doubt we'll ever see an I, Vampire Essential Edition. That was a great series.
    DC are marketing these as standalone books, and I think Essentials conveys that better than trying to work a defunct branding into the title somehow.

That said, they've entitled the upcoming Deathstroke omnibus as The New 52 Omnibus, so they're not afraid to use it when they think it'll work to their advantage.