View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    DC are marketing these as standalone books, and I think Essentials conveys that better than trying to work a defunct branding into the title somehow.

That said, they've entitled the upcoming Deathstroke omnibus as The New 52 Omnibus, so they're not afraid to use it when they think it'll work to their advantage.
    A lot of these aren't really stand alone. For example, the Darksied War is the culmination of Johns run. Would have preferred a different name/title for these then.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Graphic Autist View Post
    Still love my JLI Omni...
    Same here.

I have a bad feeling it might be awhile before we see vol. 2, considering how many JLE issues Gerard Jones co-wrote...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Spectacular Member

So who's gonna take the plunge and buy this off Amazon and hope for good packaging?

https://www.amazon.com/Infinite-Cris...crisis+omnibus

Astonishing Member

Some new Amazon fishes:

Absolute Batman: The Black Mirror Hardcover – May 28, 2019
    by Scott Snyder (Author), Jock (Illustrator), Francesco Francavilla (Illustrator) $99.99
    Scott Snyder's #1 New York Times bestseller is now available in this oversize slipcase Absolute edition, complete with behind-the-scenes scripts, design sketches and other bonus material!

For years, Batman and Commissioner Gordon have stared into the unyielding black abyss that is Gotham City. Time after time, they've saved their beloved city from itself, not allowing it to be swallowed by a pit of violence and corruption. But even after a crime-fighting lifetime of confronting what they thought was the worst humanity had to offer, an even darker and more dangerous evil pushes Batman and Gordon to their limits.

As the conflict comes closer to its resolution, they find that the truth behind this murderous crime spree isn't just careening toward their doorstep--it has in fact emerged from it. Can two of Gotham's proudest protectors bring justice to this malevolent threat in Commissioner Gordon's most personal battle to date?

Eisner Award-winning writer Scott Snyder launches into comics superstardom with his #1 New York Times best-selling debut work on the Dark Knight. This Absolute edition collects Detective Comics #871-881 and other bonus material.

Justice League of America: The Bronze Age Omnibus Vol. 3 Hardcover – May 28, 2019 $125.00
    One of the greatest eras in the history of the Justice League of America is collected here in Justice League of America: The Bronze Age Omnibus Vol. 3. These cosmic tales turned the Justice League of America into the legends of the DC Universe that they are today, and are gathered in this expansive collection.

The beginning of the 1970s saw the heroes of the JLA trading in their secret New England cave hideout for the Earth-orbiting Satellite HQ. Plus, the League started expanding its lineup to include even more characters, such as the Elongated Man and the Red Tornado! Throw in team-ups with the classic Justice Society of America and the returned Seven Soldiers of Victory, and it's easy to see why these stories became fan-favorite epics.

Collects Justice League of America #147-181.

The Outsiders by Judd Winick Book One Paperback – May 28, 2019 $24.99
    The Justice League is a bunch of pushovers. The Teen Titans are just kids. When the DC Universe calls for a more...aggressive approach, they call Nightwing, Arsenal and company: the Outsiders.

A renegade Superman Robot goes on the rampage, and a long-standing member of the Teen Titans...dies. Stricken with grief, old allies Nightwing and Arsenal decide that enough is enough: a more proactive approach to justice isn't just needed, it's necessary.

Calling on established heroes like Jade, as well as newcomes like Shift and Indigo, this new group will find the threats before they become real, no matter what the cost.

Writer Judd Winick's run on this classic title is now back in print with The Outsiders by Judd Winick Book One. Collects Titans/Young Justice: Graduation Day #1-3, Teen Titans/Outsiders Secret Files #1 and Outsiders #1-7.

Wonder Woman by Brian Azzarello & Cliff Chiang Omnibus Hardcover – May 21, 2019 $125.00
    The entire run of writer Brian Azzarello (100 BULLETS) and artist Cliff Chiang's (PAPER GIRLS) bold new imagining of one of comics' most iconic characters is now collected in its entirety in his giant-size omnibus edition!

Raised as a daughter by the Queen of the Amazons, the warrior princess called Diana is different from the rest of her countrywomen. They've all heard the legend of how she was formed from clay to give the childless queen the daughter she dreamed of--and they treat her like an outsider and outcast because of it. But Diana is different than everyone else, just not for the reasons everyone thinks.

It's because she's the daughter of Zeus.

With a new cadre of brothers and sisters as allies and enemies, Wonder Woman's world is rocked to its core when her eldest brother, the First Born, was freed from his slumber. Her newfound family is in ruins and her friends scattered, she must turn to Orion and the New Gods of New Genesis to save herself, her newborn brother Zeke and his mother Zola from the First Born's wrath.

WONDER WOMAN BY BRIAN AZZARELLO $ CLIFF CHANG OMNIBUS collects this powerhouse creative team's entire acclaimed run, including issues #0-35 and their story from SECRET ORIGINS #6.

Suicide Squad Vol. 8: Legerdemain Paperback – May 21, 2019 $19.99
    Members of the Justice League come calling when faced with the death of one of their own. However, it's not like the Suicide Squad to cooperate completely. John Ostrander's legendary series continues here in Suicide Squad Vol. 8: Legerdemain!

Batman, Superman and Aquaman suspect that Amanda Waller had a hand in the death of Ray Palmer, but when they seek to question the Squad, they find resistance from the Jihad and Hayoth. Can the world's most dangerous criminals take on a trio of the most powerful Justice League members? Take one guess...

The eighth volume of John Ostrander's classic run of the Suicide Squad is collected here! Collects Suicide Squad #59-66.

Legends of the Dark Knight - Michael Golden Hardcover – June 4, 2019 $29.99
    No content description

Finally, the final trade of Suicide Squad. Now they can focus on Spectre...

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vilynne View Post
    Finally, the final trade of Suicide Squad. Now they can focus on Spectre...
    Aside from Suicide Squad, DC seems to have forgotten Ostrander's massive catalog. So good luck with that!

But yeah, they need to continue with The Spectre and Martian Manhunter (and throw in Hawkworld and Firestorm while they're at it!).
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Aside from Suicide Squad, DC seems to have forgotten Ostrander's massive catalog. So good luck with that!

But yeah, they need to continue with The Spectre and Martian Manhunter (and throw in Hawkworld and Firestorm while they're at it!).
    Don't forget Manhunter! And I'd love to see a Batman by Ostrander collection too.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    Some new Amazon fishes:

Justice League of America: The Bronze Age Omnibus Vol. 3 Hardcover – May 28, 2019 $125.00
    One of the greatest eras in the history of the Justice League of America is collected here in Justice League of America: The Bronze Age Omnibus Vol. 3. These cosmic tales turned the Justice League of America into the legends of the DC Universe that they are today, and are gathered in this expansive collection.

The beginning of the 1970s saw the heroes of the JLA trading in their secret New England cave hideout for the Earth-orbiting Satellite HQ. Plus, the League started expanding its lineup to include even more characters, such as the Elongated Man and the Red Tornado! Throw in team-ups with the classic Justice Society of America and the returned Seven Soldiers of Victory, and it's easy to see why these stories became fan-favorite epics.

Collects Justice League of America #147-181.
    The JLA: Detroit Years Omni picks up at #233
    Would DC do one large Omni of 52 issues to bridge the gap? I'm sure a few relevant cross over issues in other titles might be relevant.
    Still, if we got two smaller($75) Omni's in the form of a vol.4&5 that would be awesome and create a stellar run of consecutive issues Omni'd for this era.
    It is a popular enough title so it could happen.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post

I would say it was because the SS movie was good awful, but theyre making another one...so.

Seriously though, I'm annoyed they don't pay dues to Ostrander. He's a fantastic writer. Make way for Tom King though!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    The JLA: Detroit Years Omni picks up at #233
    Would DC do one large Omni of 52 issues to bridge the gap? I'm sure a few relevant cross over issues in other titles might be relevant.
    Still, if we got two smaller($75) Omni's in the form of a vol.4&5 that would be awesome and create a stellar run of consecutive issues Omni'd for this era.
    It is a popular enough title so it could happen.
    I wondered about that after they put out the "detroit" omni. Why do that? and why then? When it'll happen eventually if they continue? It doesn't make much sense. Akin to Marvel releasing Avengers "The Crossing" omnibus when there's MOUNTAINS more material from Avengers history that's arguably way better.

Detroit seems like someone took a short term view instead of a long-term view. I wonder, like you said, if they'll even bump up to it, or create 3-4 more omnis of the material, going from "bronze age" to whatever the 80's is technically called ("Copper age"??)

Short term views like this can bring up problems in the future, but the counter argument is "we might never get there. Line might get cancelled, so let's put it out now" Another example is Marvel's Cap line. If/when they release vol 3 of silver age, it'll bump up against the Kirby-Cap omni. Would they ever reprint that, or just release a vol 4 with that material and more, with better reproduction? Who knows. We're years away from all the above, unfortunately.
    "Boomerang arrow, Kate... It comes back to you in the end. Boomerang. Respect it." - Clint
    "Why the hell do you need an arrow that comes back to you after you shoot it, Clint?" - Kate
    "Because... Boomerangs." - Clint.

Yes............. YEs................Yes!!!! FINALLY!
    Finally D C is releasing the Azzarello/ Chang Wonder Woman run in Omnibus.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rimmer View Post
    Detroit seems like someone took a short term view instead of a long-term view. I wonder, like you said, if they'll even bump up to it, or create 3-4 more omnis of the material, going from "bronze age" to whatever the 80's is technically called ("Copper age"??)
    I agree with your short term view analysis and the counter point you mentioned(we may never get there). The Detroit Omni, as I see it, was released because so much of the Flash TV show of late is pulling characters from there.

Whomever is in charge of establishing the Comic Book Ages does need to get to it. The status quo has sat idle way, way too long.

The 3 main official ages, as I no doubt know you know are just Golden, Silver & Bronze.
    Copper isn't truly an age. At one point the early/mid 80s was seen by fandom as Copper but when Overstreet/Industry...whomever finally set up Bronze Age those years went to that Age.

We need an official Age for post-1985 because '86 - present covers way too much narrative shift to justly be encompassed as Modern Age.
    I've heard Dark mentioned regularly for various reasons '86 - '00/'01
    Renaissance for the early '00 years to the end of nu52('16).
    Everything from 2017 forward for the next decade + will be Modern Age.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

That all makes perfect sense. And yeah, CW is picking seemingly all these people for Flash and Legends. Love it. I wonder if they're doing that on purpose, i.e. DC movieverse is letting them cherrypick all the C+D listers and letting them (movie-verse) have their pick of A+B listers.

And thanks again, Graham, for your description of the ages. I have heard the "Dark" age thrown around, too, obviously because of the Dark Knight, but also everything was 'dark' for awhile - Miller's DD, Punisher, etc...

As an aside, this is why I love these message boards - fellow fans who are knowledgeable and love to share their knowledge. Not all fans are "fanboys" in the derogatory sense. Thanks!
    "Boomerang arrow, Kate... It comes back to you in the end. Boomerang. Respect it." - Clint
    "Why the hell do you need an arrow that comes back to you after you shoot it, Clint?" - Kate
    "Because... Boomerangs." - Clint.

Amazing Member

Hey I was trying to look up info and pics about the new Green Arrow/Green Lantern Deluxe as I was trying to decide between either getting the Absolute and the Deluxe. Was just wanting to know how the paper quality of the Deluxe is. I really like the style of paper they used in the Crisis on Infinite Earths Deluxe and I see that the Absolute version of this book has a nice thick version of that Matte style paper. So was wondering if the deluxe has that or if it's printed on glossy.

Incredible Member Graphic Autist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HuggyBear View Post
    Hey I was trying to look up info and pics about the new Green Arrow/Green Lantern Deluxe as I was trying to decide between either getting the Absolute and the Deluxe. Was just wanting to know how the paper quality of the Deluxe is. I really like the style of paper they used in the Crisis on Infinite Earths Deluxe and I see that the Absolute version of this book has a nice thick version of that Matte style paper. So was wondering if the deluxe has that or if it's printed on glossy.
    Same paper as COIE 30th Anniversary Deluxe. Not glossy.