View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 114 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 14641041101111121131141151161171181241642146141114 ... LastLast
Results 1,696 to 1,710 of 21672
    Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

I recently finished reading Absolute All Star Superman. For those of you who were worrying at the readability of such a “big” book, I had no problems at all reading it, the majority of the time in my bed.

The Frank Quitely art is simple stunning in such a large format and I would suspect is best appreciated this way. Grant Morrison is extremely creative bringing in new ideas and characters and interesting at that, which I personally believe is not an easy thing in the Superman “world”. Although, I’m not a fan of Morrison’s philosophies and ideas on “spiritual” issues which he subtly brings into this story, I found the book an enjoyable and very good reading experience. Recommended.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    I recently finished reading Absolute All Star Superman. For those of you who were worrying at the readability of such a “big” book, I had no problems at all reading it, the majority of the time in my bed.

The Frank Quitely art is simple stunning in such a large format and I would suspect is best appreciated this way. Grant Morrison is extremely creative bringing in new ideas and characters and interesting at that, which I personally believe is not an easy thing in the Superman “world”. Although, I’m not a fan of Morrison’s philosophies and ideas on “spiritual” issues which he subtly brings into this story, I found the book an enjoyable and very good reading experience. Recommended.
    Are Absolute Editions in the same size as Marvel OHCs or Omnibusses?

Incredible Member CrazyOldHermit's Avatar

I just think it's neat that DC is releasing a second volume of Batman Adventures. 20 issues down, 16 to go.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by GAMEPROFF View Post
    No deluxe editions are the same size as Marvels OHC/Omnibuses. Absolutes are bigger.

Amazing Member

Regarding the Perez Wonder Woman omnibus when were these stories first released? I expect it is another old title eg pre 2000 with old artwork.

Would like to at last pick up a wonder woman book but if it is an old title I will wait for when the New 52 WW gets collected. I still do not know anything about WW or her origins.

Quote Originally Posted by GAMEPROFF View Post
    No, they're actually bigger. Not necessarily thicker but taller.

Below is a pic I posted a while ago of some of my DC books when I was comparing the Wednesday Comics HC.

The Superman Golden Age Omnibus is the same height as the Marvel OHCs and Omnibuses. The second book from the right is the Absolute Edition of Crisis on Infinite Earths.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by silkcuts View Post
    Great news about The Filth Deluxe, on top of the great story, Chris Weston & Gary Erskine did a great job in the art department. Definitely deserves better paper and oversized format.
    What pisses me of is Transmetropolitan Absolute. I've been waiting this **** in deluxe/omnibus for a long time now, and I'll be damned if I overpay stupid absolute.
    Might pick up The Filth thanks to the deluxe.

I somewhat agree about Transmetropolitan. While not pissed, I find it a bit strange that it's getting collected as an Absolute instead of Deluxe or Omnibus. Wonder if it'll be 5 books with 12 issues in each.

Quote Originally Posted by ukbondraider View Post
    Regarding the Perez Wonder Woman omnibus when were these stories first released? I expect it is another old title eg pre 2000 with old artwork.

Would like to at last pick up a wonder woman book but if it is an old title I will wait for when the New 52 WW gets collected. I still do not know anything about WW or her origins.
    I'm not sure what "old" artwork is, but George Perez drew it, and I've never heard any complaints about his pencils. It was released in 1987 and part of DC's reboot after Crisis.

It's a good place to start but WW's origins have since been tweaked under the New 52. I'm enjoying the current series by Brian Azzarello but it's a different WW and it's not for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by borntohula View Post
    Might pick up The Filth thanks to the deluxe.

I somewhat agree about Transmetropolitan. While not pissed, I find it a bit strange that it's getting collected as an Absolute instead of Deluxe or Omnibus. Wonder if it'll be 5 books with 12 issues in each.
    Damn, I hope it's 3 books, but I suspect it will be 4, since there are those Winter Edge tales and a couple of one-shots. I don't think DC will milk it for 12. I don't think the audience is there to pay that much.

Fantastic Member

First Absolute Transmet will have first 21 issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    There's a full listing on the distributors website here.
    Well if anyone wants to have a crack at listing those feel free, hopefully when I'm back next week the blog will have them up.

Absolute Transmet for $125US? F#@$ that.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    There's a full listing on the distributors website here.
    Ooh, informative. Thanks.

Batman by Adams Omni - June 2nd '15
    GL by Johns vol 2 - August 4th '15
    WW by Perez - August 25th '15

^ Those are my big three for next year thus far, I suppose. Be nice to get a Swan or Byrne Superman Omni to go with all this deliciousness...

Quote Originally Posted by vark View Post
    Thanks for the link, the Batman noir DKR seems to be similar to this year French edition (same cover)
    It's a beautiful cover (assuming it remains the same until release) but I still just don't get the point of black and white editions. Unwrapped Edition? Sure, I'd hit that. But black and white? I'm 50/50 on it so far, maybe a bit less...

Quote Originally Posted by johnsme View Post

I see "Top Ten" on the list with no details on it. Wondering what that is?
    Quote Originally Posted by titansupes View Post
    I don't know anything about this, but could it be a deluxe of the Alan Moore Top Ten?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Wisdom View Post
    That Top 10 is not a hardcover.
    A TPB at $24.99 with 352 pages.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    No, they're actually bigger. Not necessarily thicker but taller.

Below is a pic I posted a while ago of some of my DC books when I was comparing the Wednesday Comics HC.

The Superman Golden Age Omnibus is the same height as the Marvel OHCs and Omnibuses. The second book from the right is the Absolute Edition of Crisis on Infinite Earths.

Thanks for posting the picture. Now I can compare the sizes better^^

Incredible Member CrazyOldHermit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by titansupes View Post
    It's a beautiful cover (assuming it remains the same until release) but I still just don't get the point of black and white editions. Unwrapped Edition? Sure, I'd hit that. But black and white? I'm 50/50 on it so far, maybe a bit less...
    Agreed. I really want to see the art in black and white but to buy a hardcover edition in black and white? Seems a little much, especially when the book features some of the best coloring ever.