View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Golden Age Omnibus Line
    Batman vol.7: June 2019
    Superman vol.6: July 2019

Seems to be a bit of a slow down on these, yes? I know they are niche and sell 400-700 units the initial month so I can understand the slow down, still...
    It would be nice to see Wonder Woman vol.4 and Green Arrow vol.2 solicited, especially the later as it has been longer since the initial volume.
    There was a rumor a year ago that an Aquaman vol.1 was being worked on. With the film a true hit they should bank on that even more now.

At one point the talk was it would take 13-14 volumes to complete the Bats/Supes lines, there was even a link to someone who had done the mapping. In a FB discussion thread I saw a reasoning behind ending GA Bats at a vol.9 due to the demarcation of the Worlds Finest Silver Age. Thoughts on that?
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Incredible Member CrazyOldHermit's Avatar

Took advantage of a boxing day deal to take a leap of faith on my first DC omnibuses: Batman GA Vol 1 and Batman by Morrison Vol 1.

Really excited to get these and get a look over at the other side of the fence. It's been way too long since I've been in the omnibus game (the last one before this year was Stern Spidey almost five years ago), so glad to be back in it.
    Miller was right.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyOldHermit View Post
    Took advantage of a boxing day deal to take a leap of faith on my first DC omnibuses: Batman GA Vol 1 and Batman by Morrison Vol 1.

Really excited to get these and get a look over at the other side of the fence. It's been way too long since I've been in the omnibus game (the last one before this year was Stern Spidey almost five years ago), so glad to be back in it.
    Your wallet won't be as glad to be back into buying omnibus'! I never get tired of getting a new omnibus.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    In a FB discussion thread I saw a reasoning behind ending GA Bats at a vol.9 due to the demarcation of the Worlds Finest Silver Age. Thoughts on that?
    Yeah, it just doesn’t work. The Golden Age ended in 1951 with All-Star Comics #57 (last appearance of the JSA before the Silver Age), and the Silver Age began with Barry Allen’s first appearance in 1956, and in between is this weird interstitial period that no on can decide what to call (Atomic Age, Atlas Age, EC Age, etc). But “World’s Finest: The Weird Interstitial Age Omnibus” doesn’t sound as good, ya know?

Thing is, Superman and Batman don’t have a clear dividing line between their Silver and Golden Ages, since they were published continually. (Wonder Woman actually does, but that’s another story.) It really shouldn’t be any time before Barry Allen appears in 1956. It can’t be Batman’s first “New Look” (yellow oval) issue, because he’d already been appearing with the Justice League (pure Silver Age) for two years by then. But I could see DC compromising and maybe doing a shorter “Atomic Age” rebranding, though I personally hope they don’t.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Lucky One View Post
    Yeah, it just doesn’t work. The Golden Age ended in 1951 with All-Star Comics #57 (last appearance of the JSA before the Silver Age), and the Silver Age began with Barry Allen’s first appearance in 1956, and in between is this weird interstitial period that no on can decide what to call (Atomic Age, Atlas Age, EC Age, etc). But “World’s Finest: The Weird Interstitial Age Omnibus” doesn’t sound as good, ya know?

Thing is, Superman and Batman don’t have a clear dividing line between their Silver and Golden Ages, since they were published continually. (Wonder Woman actually does, but that’s another story.) It really shouldn’t be any time before Barry Allen appears in 1956. It can’t be Batman’s first “New Look” (yellow oval) issue, because he’d already been appearing with the Justice League (pure Silver Age) for two years by then. But I could see DC compromising and maybe doing a shorter “Atomic Age” rebranding, though I personally hope they don’t.
    I would be seriously tempted to pick up a book with that title...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

As long as they keep publishing them and don't abandon the line, they can call it whatever they want as far as I'm concerned!

Quote Originally Posted by RamblingMan View Post
    Your wallet won't be as glad to be back into buying omnibus'! I never get tired of getting a new omnibus.
    It's already unhappy with taking that hit so soon after Christmas but I am sure am happy and that's what counts.
    Miller was right.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lucky One View Post

My thoughts on the dividing line here: https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/marv....html#p1104469

I think Volume 9 will end the Golden Age, and srca1941's volume 10 will actually be Silver Age volume 1. That's where the World's Finest Silver Age omnibus World's Finest issues begin, that's about the time that the CCA kicks in, and it's only a few years away from Barry Allen making his debut appearance, a commonly recognized starting point for the Silver Age. Factor in DC's love for starting over with first issues, and it's a reasonable prediction to make. Any point they pick is going to be somewhat arbitrary anyway since there is no hard and fast dividing line between the ages, but I can't see them waiting until 1964 and the new look.
    Basically, I think DC's going to just have to pick a point and decide that's where they're ending the Golden Age branding, and beginning the Silver Age. The fact that we're facing a very real possibility that they'll have to make that choice at all is very encouraging, because these comprehensive reprint lines have never reached this point before. It's pretty amazing to think that we could potentially have decades of Batman stories in hardback on our bookshelves.

Batman vol. 6 ends with November 1949 issues, so the first full decade is essentially done. That alone is amazing.
    Last edited by andersonh1; 01-07-2019 at 08:17 AM.

I suppose if DC has to pick an arbitrary date/volume to end the Golden Age then my OCD-ness would just as soon be happy with ending the Bats line at 10 completed volumes. Omit any issues that srca has mapped for the Worlds Finest and sub something else in to get the desired page count. Ten volumes is a nice round number, ending on an odd volume would just look/feel odd to me.

Got my Morrison omni and after an initial flip through I am extremely impressed. The build quality and design of the book are both impeccable. Marvel omnis often feel very paint-by-numbers in design, but this feels built from the ground up as a beautiful, cohesive book. Very happy and I haven't even read it yet. If this is the standard then I am definitely in the market for more DC omnis.
    Miller was right.

You should check out the Infinite Crisis Omnibus.

I recently picked up the Flash Silver Age Omni New Edition with the updated dust jacket that matches the rest of the series. Does any one know if there are plans to release a new edition of the Justice League Volume 1 Omni with the Silver Age dust jacket? I am one of those neurotic people that wants all their jackets to match.

Quote Originally Posted by mhanna885 View Post
    I recently picked up the Flash Silver Age Omni New Edition with the updated dust jacket that matches the rest of the series. Does any one know if there are plans to release a new edition of the Justice League Volume 1 Omni with the Silver Age dust jacket? I am one of those neurotic people that wants all their jackets to match.
    No one ever knows with certainty. However, since they've done Green Lantern and now Flash we could conclude a pattern.
    Thus, when they do reprint it, I'd wager it has a corrected dust jacket.

All-New Member

What are people's thoughts on the Aquaman by Geoff Johns omnibus?

Got some spare money to pick up a couple omnibus' this month and I'm considering that and the Batman and Robin omni.

Quote Originally Posted by Faustinooo View Post
    What are people's thoughts on the Aquaman by Geoff Johns omnibus?

Got some spare money to pick up a couple omnibus' this month and I'm considering that and the Batman and Robin omni.
    I haven't read B&R, but I enjoyed Johns Aquaman a lot, great art too, especially some gorgeous coloring.