View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.

I've not read any Animal Man before, but I do like Lemire and judging from what others have said, it sounds good. I'll definitely be getting it.
    Pull List: Daredevil, Radiant Black, Rogue Sun, No One, Time Before Time

“We never lose our demons. We only learn to live above them"

Was actually considering picking up the Morrison Animal Deluxe Book 1 since the omnibus seems to be out of print.

In regards to Animal Man, would Morrison & Lemire be considered the best runs? Are there other runs?

Walking into this one blind.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    More cancellations, via the folks over at the MMW forums:

Titans Book 2 (from the 2008 Titans series)
    Batman: The Dark Knight Vol 3 (post COIE/Year One)

I've also noticed that the Black Label reprints of the Miller Dark Knight books have been cancelled as well, but that might have been mentioned before.
    At this point, over half the DC collections I pre-ordered in the past 6 months have now been cancelled. I don't want to rag on DC, but they're the only publisher I've seen that does this.

Amazing Member

Very good news! But they canceled the Absolute Dark Knight reprint...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    More cancellations, via the folks over at the MMW forums:

Batman: The Dark Knight Vol 3 (post COIE/Year One)
    This is crazy, I was planning to buy the first two soon...

So disappointed with DC recently, I hope this will get re-solicated.

It's hard to keep getting excited about a book when so many are getting canceled. I know they are 'restructuring' but still.........
    "When you have to shoot...shoot, don't talk" Tuco

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    Was actually considering picking up the Morrison Animal Deluxe Book 1 since the omnibus seems to be out of print.

In regards to Animal Man, would Morrison & Lemire be considered the best runs? Are there other runs?

Besides Morrison and Lemire, there are really only three other notable runs - Tom Veitch, Jamie Delano and Jerry Prosser (Peter Milligan immediately followed Morrison, but it was just a 6 issue fill-in arc).

Veitch and Delano's runs are both collected in tpb, and readily available. The former is ok... pretty slow in parts, but with a satisfying ending. Delano is probably my favorite; his run was dark as hell and an emotional roller coaster. Lemire's tone borrowed heavily from Delano. Prosser's 10 (12?) issues remain uncollected, and I don't think you'll find many people lamenting that fact.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Besides Morrison and Lemire, there are really only three other notable runs - Tom Veitch, Jamie Delano and Jerry Prosser (Peter Milligan immediately followed Morrison, but it was just a 6 issue fill-in arc).

Veitch and Delano's runs are both collected in tpb, and readily available. The former is ok... pretty slow in parts, but with a satisfying ending. Delano is probably my favorite; his run was dark as hell and an emotional roller coaster. Lemire's tone borrowed heavily from Delano. Prosser's 10 (12?) issues remain uncollected, and I don't think you'll find many people lamenting that fact.
    I've read all of the Animal Man runs with the exception of Lemire's (this is on my to read list and nay be a factor in me purchasing the upcoming Omnibus). I really only took to Morrison's run and take that as the gold standard.

And yes, Delano's run was brutally dark. Personally, I'm not a fan.

Btw, I have a sealed Animal Man Omnibus which I'm selling. If anyone is interested, send me a pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    I've read all of the Animal Man runs with the exception of Lemire's (this is on my to read list and nay be a factor in me purchasing the upcoming Omnibus). I really only took to Morrison's run and take that as the gold standard.

And yes, Delano's run was brutally dark. Personally, I'm not a fan.

Btw, I have a sealed Animal Man Omnibus which I'm selling. If anyone is interested, send me a pm.
    I do love me a brutally dark story. �� must remember to investigate further.

And I already have the Morrison AM omni. The Lemire omni would look killer next to it. Anyone selling their Absolute Sandman V.2?! ��

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Hank View Post
    Good to hear this from a long-time reader. I'm not sure why WW comics never really interested me much, but Perez' "origin" treatment just seems so fresh and unique, I'm truly blown away. I love Spidey by Lee/Ditko and Batman: Year One is probably my favorite origin story, but this run by Perez might become my favorite.

Not only is the art just incredible but his characterization of WW has her being so nice, innocent, peace-loving, almost naive, it's impossible not to love her. But she's also not dumb, so she's reallly not naive about her role in history and who she is and represents. Great stuff!
    When you're done with the Perez WW, you should follow it up with the newly released WW omnibus by Phil Jimenez - if you like Perez's WW you'll like Phil's, as he worships George Perez (his art is very similar), and he does Perez's Diana justice.

All-New Member

Hopefully this isn't asked too often. I looked back through the thread a little ways in advance:

The Superman Golden Age Omnibus Vol 1 is OOPt. Is this the type of thing they're likely to reprint, or are the high prices pretty much what to expect now? It's normally hard to tell if collections will be put back in print, but in this case, I'm sure Vol 1 sells better than any later volumes, and that people that would be interested in later ones might hold off until they get #1. So, it seems like a possibility. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Gar-El View Post
    Hopefully this isn't asked too often. I looked back through the thread a little ways in advance:

The Superman Golden Age Omnibus Vol 1 is OOPt. Is this the type of thing they're likely to reprint, or are the high prices pretty much what to expect now? It's normally hard to tell if collections will be put back in print, but in this case, I'm sure Vol 1 sells better than any later volumes, and that people that would be interested in later ones might hold off until they get #1. So, it seems like a possibility. Thanks.
    I've read that it was already reprinted once and a supposed DC insider said it won't be reprinted again. I came into collecting just as it went OOP and ended up biting the bullet at $150 for a clean used copy. I've seen it go north of $200 since.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
    I've read that it was already reprinted once and a supposed DC insider said it won't be reprinted again. I came into collecting just as it went OOP and ended up biting the bullet at $150 for a clean used copy. I've seen it go north of $200 since.
    Yeah, I might do roughly that amount, but they're definitely about 200+ now. Oh well. Might just get the 2x standard size paperbacks or stick to digital. This has gotten me to take the plunge on Batman vol 1, though, while it's $40! Looks like that one is in its second printing, too.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Gar-El View Post
    Yeah, I might do roughly that amount, but they're definitely about 200+ now. Oh well. Might just get the 2x standard size paperbacks or stick to digital. This has gotten me to take the plunge on Batman vol 1, though, while it's $40! Looks like that one is in its second printing, too.

Thanks!
    I almost sold off 2-5 in my frustration but held out. Seller had it listed at $200 and I offered $150 delivered. Just be patient and watch eBay.
    Definitely get the Batman! If I had to sell one or the other, I'd definitely hang on to my Batman books.

Amazing Member

I wąted to start Shadow of the Bat but I guess this might get cancelled too...

DC's Cancelled Collections Cavalcade Continues!

The first LoSH: Five Years Later hardcover has been cancelled according to the Edelweiss listing.

Doom Patrol The SIlver Age Vol 2 is also cancelled, but that may have already been mentioned. I'm finding it hard to keep track.

According to the Edelweiss website, that's 25 titles cancelled from the Summer 2019 catalogue so far. That's nearly twice as many as were cancelled in the Spring 2019 catalogue. A lot of the cancelled summer books were never solicited to comic shops though, so I don't think it's just down to orders. We know DC are reviewing their collected editions programme, so some of these books might make a re-appearance down the line.