View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    DC's Cancelled Collections Cavalcade Continues!

The first LoSH: Five Years Later hardcover has been cancelled according to the Edelweiss listing.

Doom Patrol The SIlver Age Vol 2 is also cancelled, but that may have already been mentioned. I'm finding it hard to keep track.

According to the Edelweiss website, that's 25 titles cancelled from the Summer 2019 catalogue so far. That's nearly twice as many as were cancelled in the Spring 2019 catalogue. A lot of the cancelled summer books were never solicited to comic shops though, so I don't think it's just down to orders. We know DC are reviewing their collected editions programme, so some of these books might make a re-appearance down the line.
    Thats still quite a bit of axed comics! I hope we see them soon.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

The first LoSH: Five Years Later hardcover has been cancelled according to the Edelweiss listing.

Doom Patrol The SIlver Age Vol 2 is also cancelled, but that may have already been mentioned. I'm finding it hard to keep track.

According to the Edelweiss website, that's 25 titles cancelled from the Summer 2019 catalogue so far. That's nearly twice as many as were cancelled in the Spring 2019 catalogue. A lot of the cancelled summer books were never solicited to comic shops though, so I don't think it's just down to orders. We know DC are reviewing their collected editions programme, so some of these books might make a re-appearance down the line.
    I'm not even mildly surprised at this point...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Last edited by JoeGuy; 10-22-2019 at 03:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vilynne View Post
    Thats still quite a bit of axed comics! I hope we see them soon.
    Looking through the list in more detail, about 10 of them are Essential Edition/Black Label new editions of material that's still in print in other versions, so it's probably not as bad as it first looks. Still, it reinforces the perception that DC doesn't put much thought into the solicits of its collected editions. I mean, why even think about doing a Black Label edition of Master Race (for example) when the standard version was released 6 months ago?

Quote Originally Posted by JoeGuy View Post
    Looking to a book that seems like it will actually come out, does anyone have a good word or bad for 'The Authority' series? I only just came across the omnibus.
    Like most of the Wildstorm stuff, excellent

Mighty Member

Looking to a book that seems like it will actually come out, does anyone have a good word or bad for 'The Authority' series? I only just came across the omnibus.
    It's excellent. My memory is a bit fuzzy, but I think it's pretty understandable if you just jump right in. However, if you were inclined, the Stormwatch volumes by Warren Ellis that precede The Authority are quite good and worth a read in their own right.
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by bob/.schoonover View Post
    It's excellent. My memory is a bit fuzzy, but I think it's pretty understandable if you just jump right in. However, if you were inclined, the Stormwatch volumes by Warren Ellis that precede The Authority are quite good and worth a read in their own right.
    I would also recommend Picking up Planetary by Warren Ellis.The team investigates strange phenomena and monsters.
    DC,I need Bronze Age Batman,Green Lantern,and Flash collected.Please,and thank you.

It's like the Justice league but everything is super over the top and on steroids. But the art makes it look like a Micheal Bay movie (but in a good way) and it's super kinetic and it's basically usually referred to as the first "widescreen" comic book, that looks and feels like reading a summer blockbuster. It's a huge departure from what came before and what we know as 90s comics and it was the forerunner to the more cinematic books that came after (Ultimates, Bendis DD, USM, etc ).
    But it's not stupid, it has lots of high concepts but it doesn't try to be cerebral.
    Planetary is more low key and science fictiony, with tons of weird, out there ideas and pop cultural references (but the good type) but both series is excellent just in different ways (they take place in the same universe and they had a one shot together but you can read them completely separately. Although if you like your continuity hints I would say read authority first).

Astonishing Member

Not gonna lie, the LoSH: 5 Years Later cancellation hurts.

I'm getting the impression that DC has no interest in publishing anything that isn't current, an evergreen, or from a favorite writer/artist. Even titles that have TV/movie ties like Doom Patrol are getting cancelled.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    Not gonna lie, the LoSH: 5 Years Later cancellation hurts.

I'm getting the impression that DC has no interest in publishing anything that isn't current, an evergreen, or from a favorite writer/artist. Even titles that have TV/movie ties like Doom Patrol are getting cancelled.
    One wonders if their new direction (currently hinted at being longer trades) might involve the LOSH material getting repackaged in tpb at a reasonable price point. It's not like there is or will be current LOSH material on the shelves to be crowded out
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bob/.schoonover View Post
    One wonders if their new direction (currently hinted at being longer trades) might involve the LOSH material getting repackaged in tpb at a reasonable price point. It's not like there is or will be current LOSH material on the shelves to be crowded out
    While I intended to buy the 5YL hardcover, I'm fine with waiting if it means we'll get a more reasonably priced trade - likely with a higher page count.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Looking through the list in more detail, about 10 of them are Essential Edition/Black Label new editions of material that's still in print in other versions, so it's probably not as bad as it first looks. Still, it reinforces the perception that DC doesn't put much thought into the solicits of its collected editions. I mean, why even think about doing a Black Label edition of Master Race (for example) when the standard version was released 6 months ago?
    Exactly! My greatest frustration with DC collected editions is how they will reprint every "big name" book over and over, and wont give the never before collected trades a chance. I get it, money talks, but as you said, we don't need a "new" format every six months for the same content! I just want to read more/newer stuff.

Also the uniformity of trades. They change every six months as well. Drives me bonkers to see the spine for a run go through 3 different changes.

Stay with me for a moment.

I'm kind of happy the FYL LoSH was cancelled. It was standard trim hardcover. I wasn't buying it anyway.

I'm eternally optimistic we'll see it as an omnibus sooner rather than later.

Last edited by JoeGuy; 10-22-2019 at 03:04 PM.

Cheers for the feedback, I'll grab The Authority omni when it's out.
    You probably know this already but it doesn't hurt to mention that Planetary already has an omnibus out