View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    "The best possible format" Dan, you were doing that. What I think you meant to say was 'most cautious, risk averse format'. I'm not buying several smaller trades or hard covers to fill in that material. That will be my f-you to Dan.

Resolicit
    Exactly.

Giffen/DeMatteis' JLI is another good example. They've reprinted the same chunk of issues (the first 1/3-1/2 or so?) in how many formats now? And now we have a chunky, re-cut trade coming up instead of a second omnibus that would (almost!) finish the damn run. Finally.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Exactly.

Giffen/DeMatteis' JLI is another good example. They've reprinted the same chunk of issues (the first 1/3-1/2 or so?) in how many formats now? And now we have a chunky, re-cut trade coming up instead of a second omnibus that would (almost!) finish the damn run. Finally.
    Doesn't that omnibus have print errors ? that's why i passed on it. Waiting for corrected second print news or something.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gurz View Post
    Doesn't that omnibus have print errors ? that's why i passed on it. Waiting for corrected second print news or something.
    There's already a second printing available - they stealth released it. Only way to know which printing you're getting though is to remove the shrinkwrap and check inside.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    There's already a second printing available - they stealth released it. Only way to know which printing you're getting though is to remove the shrinkwrap and check inside.
    What was the printing error? I'm pretty sure I have the 1st printing and I can't remember noticing anything.

Quote Originally Posted by bob/.schoonover View Post
    I think the argument that DC abandoned the trademark would be hard to make w/the HC that came out last year and the omni coming out this year. It's massively unlikely that, whatever the resolution, the omni's release will be affected, though.
    The name was also used in conjunction with 2 Convergence tpb's as well. I'd think that should also count.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Incredible Member Graphic Autist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    What was the printing error? I'm pretty sure I have the 1st printing and I can't remember noticing anything.
    A couple pages transposed and at least one blank thought bubble from Guy Gardner. I have the one with errors, but I still love it. It was the first Omnibus I ever purchased, and one of my favorite series from my youth. Fun stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by bob/.schoonover View Post
    I think the argument that DC abandoned the trademark would be hard to make w/the HC that came out last year and the omni coming out this year. It's massively unlikely that, whatever the resolution, the omni's release will be affected, though.
    I'm not really familiar with how trademarks work. Is that considered new content even though it's technically repackaging old content?

Quote Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
    The name was also used in conjunction with 2 Convergence tpb's as well. I'd think that should also count.
    I did not know this. Maybe that counts too. When was this? 2015? I'm not sure how long it takes for a tm to be considered abandoned.

Quote Originally Posted by Lirica View Post
    I'm not really familiar with how trademarks work. Is that considered new content even though it's technically repackaging old content?

I did not know this. Maybe that counts too. When was this? 2015? I'm not sure how long it takes for a tm to be considered abandoned.
    I mean, everyone likes to forget everything about Convergence anyway. I don't even mean it in a bad way, like so many other "never be the same, universe shattering event!" It will be left to ve consumed by obscurity.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
    That is awesome at least the Joker will live on, but hopefully JLA and B&B fall into the same category as they both need one more volume to complete the run.
    JLA needs at least two volumes to complete the run, because Vol. 3 would've ended with #181 and the Detroit Omnibus starts with #233, still leaving the 51 issues #182-232 to be released in Omnibus format.

One problem of JLA Omnibuses Vol. 3 and Vol. 4 is that, if you combine these with the other omnibuses and the COIE companion books, they are making that big expensive Crisis Box DC has announced for November completey redundant. Perhaps they've cancelled the Omnibus to make sure people are buying this overpriced monstrosity:

https://www.amazon.com/Crisis-Infini...gateway&sr=8-1

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gurz View Post
    The printing errors are really minor ones. There are two pieces of missing text on

page 245: "He found the ... um ... the bathroom! And, boy, was he surprised by that state-of-the-art plumbing!" and on
    page 267: "-- They're such a great bunch of jokers!"
    and pages 638/639 are printed in wrong order. Not a big deal, if you ask me.

What's more annoying is that the printing quality is subpar when compared with other Omnibuses and that it is actually inferior to the digital versions of the comic books contained.

As the second printing only corrects the printing errors, but not the printing quality, you really don't gain that much. And if you order this Omnibus online (for example at amazon or booksetc) be prepared to still receive the first printing!

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
    That is a good point, anyone know sales on JLA and B&B vs what HOS did. Glad Joker is at least surviving looking forward to that one.
    JLA BA Vol. 1 - 929 (Mar 2017)
    JLA BA Vol. 2 - 891 (Mar 2018)

Very decent figures.

BM: B&B BA Vol. 1 - 786 (Jan 2017)
    BM: B&B BA Vol. 2 - 391 (Aug 2018)

Low result for Vol. 2 BUT it also shifted 609 units in the following month of Sep 2018, possibly it was a late August release. Therefore 1000 units ordered in the first two months.

House of Secrets BA Vol. 1 - 940 (Feb 2018)
    House of Mystery BA Vol. 1 - 893 (Jan 2019)

One has to say that the figures for the Bronze Age Omnibuses seem very healthy indeed. I see no good reason for cancelling any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    One has to say that the figures for the Bronze Age Omnibuses seem very healthy indeed. I see no good reason for cancelling any of them.
    Agreed. Any idea what the total number for an average printing looks like? (Total number of books printed rather than sold)

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
    Agreed. Any idea what the total number for an average printing looks like? (Total number of books printed rather than sold)
    Not sure, I would be guessing at around 2500+ or so. I recall someone once posted some numbers and they varied from title to title.

BANNED

just order Wonder Woman by Phil Jimenez Omnibus.

Incredible Member

Seems as though the new Flash by Geoff Johns Volume 1 Omnibus is up on amazon... sigh. Looks like I’ll have to take a big loss on all 3 at my LCS in order to get these new ones.