View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Meh, just not into digital comics.
    I don't have cable tv either.
    I could be happy with a flip phone 98% of the time.
    I only "got rid" of my landline cause I moved and the new house didn't have one.

Stay off my lawn.
    How many times do we have to teach you this lesson old man!?! :P

Im not one for digital either. If it's a single issue I can do it, but otherwise I find myself...distracted? Uninterested?

If anyone is planning to upgrade their Death/Return of Superman Omnibus to the new edition, PM me.

I'm thinking I'd rather own the smaller 2nd edition; the 1400+ page size of the new one is a bit too daunting.

I've been re-reading my trades, though, and I forgot how much I enjoy this story. I feel it was unfairly maligned over the years.

I ordered mine Tuesday from IST or I'd help you out. Just finished the Exile book and I'm pretty excited for another Superman omni.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    didn't DC just announce that they will upload A LOT of comics to their new digital platform? Don't know exactly what but apparently it's an overwhelming amount of issues.
    Thanks for mentioning this! I've been waiting for them to start putting some significant runs up before I subscribe. Looks like some good stuff is coming. The first 40 issues of All-Star Squadron, 200 or so issues each of Batman, Detective Comics, Action Comics, Brave and the Bold, Flash, and Wonder Woman.

I'll probably wait for more 70s-90s books to hit before I subscribe, but they're at least getting better.

Quote Originally Posted by T.D. View Post
    If anyone is planning to upgrade their Death/Return of Superman Omnibus to the new edition, PM me.

I'm thinking I'd rather own the smaller 2nd edition; the 1400+ page size of the new one is a bit too daunting.

I've been re-reading my trades, though, and I forgot how much I enjoy this story. I feel it was unfairly maligned over the years.
    I have the last edition of the omni & just saw the new edition with the torn cape cover on IST. Are there any differences in the 2 volumes, or is the new edition just a reprint with a different cover?
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Quote Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
    I have the last edition of the omni & just saw the new edition with the torn cape cover on IST. Are there any differences in the 2 volumes, or is the new edition just a reprint with a different cover?
    The new edition is more complete, as it has a few hundred more pages. There's several more tie-in issues including the Newstime '93 special which is sort of an in-universe magazine featuring articles and such written about Superman's death (kinda like the prose sections included at the end of each issue of Watchmen). There's also another JLA issue, an epilogue issue that marked the "official" end of the Death of Superman event, along with a couple of Annuals that featured the replacement Superman. Most fans seem to agree none of it is essential (and the Annuals seem to be pretty much universally reviled).

The other big change is that it's the first time since the original release to include the intended fold-out 3-page spread when Superman dies. Every other reprint has split it into a separate double page spread. Dan Jurgens posted some pics here:

https://twitter.com/thedanjurgens/st...12020147834882

I think the foldout spread is pretty awesome, but the extra 300-ish pages of material just wasn't enough to sway me to spring for the new edition when I could save some cash and get the 2nd instead.

Also personally, I prefer the brighter colors of the 2nd editions cover and spine. The more solemn black and red looks nice and classy, but it doesn't look as cool to me. And since my books spend 99% of their time on my shelf, the spine design did play a significant factor in deciding to go for the 2nd edition.
    Last edited by T.D.; 04-12-2019 at 02:09 PM.

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

I'm not sure if these have been posted already, but from DC's latest solicits, here's something that may be of interest for Swamp Thing fans - a omnibus edition of Nancy A. Collins' run:
    SWAMP THING BY NANCY A. COLLINS OMNIBUS HC
    written by NANCY A. COLLINS
    art by TOM MANDRAKE, SHAWN McMANUS, JAN DUURSEMA, SCOT EATON and others
    cover by MICHAEL ZULLI
    In these 1990s tales written by critically acclaimed Bram Stoker Award-winning horror novelist Nancy A. Collins, a mad priest has come to Houma to test his followers with a fatal poison, and Swamp Thing must stop him before things go too far. Then, Swamp Thing finds himself a surprise candidate for governor of Louisiana. And when Swamp Thing must save Abigail Arcane and their daughter, Tefé, from the murderous dream-pirates of Dark Conrad, who’s he gonna call? John Constantine! Collects SWAMP THING #110-139 and ANNUAL #6 and #7, BLACK ORCHID #5, and a story from VERTIGO JAM #1, plus never-before-published behind-the-scenes material.
    ON SALE 01.08.19 | $125.00 US | 968 PAGES
    FC | 7.0625” x 10.875”
    ISBN: 978-1-4012-9709-1
    MATURE READERS
    Unless it gets cancelled due to low orders, I believe this will be the first time Nancy A. Collins' Swamp Thing run will be collected.

Some other stuff I saw skimming through the solicits: a Batman Black and White Omnibus, a new printing of the Absolute edition of Neil Gaiman's Death stories, and a trade collecting the entirety of Paul Levitz's 70s All-Star Comics run.

There's a Greatest Hits tp of Hitman, which seems redundant since DC is starting a new collection of trades for the series - unless the upcoming Hitman Vol. 1 got cancelled, I haven't checked yet.

The cancelled Essential Edition of Batman: Death of the Family has also been resolicited.
    Last edited by Hilden B. Lade; 04-12-2019 at 04:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by T.D. View Post
    The new edition is more complete, as it has a few hundred more pages. There's several more tie-in issues including the Newstime '93 special which is sort of an in-universe magazine featuring articles and such written about Superman's death (kinda like the prose sections included at the end of each issue of Watchmen). There's also another JLA issue, an epilogue issue that marked the "official" end of the Death of Superman event, along with a couple of Annuals that featured the replacement Superman. Most fans seem to agree none of it is essential (and the Annuals seem to be pretty much universally reviled).

The other big change is that it's the first time since the original release to include the intended fold-out 3-page spread when Superman dies. Every other reprint has split it into a separate double page spread. Dan Jurgens posted some pics here:

https://twitter.com/thedanjurgens/st...12020147834882

I think the foldout spread is pretty awesome, but the extra 300-ish pages of material just wasn't enough to sway me to spring for the new edition when I could save some cash and get the 2nd instead.

Also personally, I prefer the brighter colors of the 2nd editions cover and spine. The more solemn black and red looks nice and classy, but it doesn't look as cool to me. And since my books spend 99% of their time on my shelf, the spine design did play a significant factor in deciding to go for the 2nd edition.
    Thank you for that, I appreciate it. It sounds like they just took the contents of the latest tpb set (with the interlocking spines, minus the last one with the Doomsday rematches) and used that mapping for the new omni (as well as including the gate fold in S75). I have the 2nd edition omni as well as the newest tpb set, so it looks like I'll probably just stick to what I have.

I knew by looking at the page counts that this new edition was larger than mine, but I had completely forgotten that my omni didn't have the Bloodlines annuals or the Newstime special. That should have been extremely obvious to me before asking lol I do agree on the annuals being poor...I kind of like the Action Comics annual, with Eradicator and the blue cop dude, but the rest are very bad. The Adventures one, with Superboy, even kills the momentum of the final battle in Coast City...in the tpb Return of Superman, it's placed right after Superboy has prevented the rocket from destroying Metropolis...so in the heat of the climax, you take a break for a Bloodlines tie-in, see Superboy get a new jacket, and then you get to continue the main story. Talk about halting momentum...
    Last edited by Clark_Kent; 04-12-2019 at 04:25 PM.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hilden B. Lade View Post
    There's a Greatest Hits tp of Hitman, which seems redundant since DC is starting a new collection of trades for the series - unless the upcoming Hitman Vol. 1 got cancelled, I haven't checked yet.
    According to this report provided by Diamond Distribution, Hitman Vol. 1 is cancelled and will be resolicited at a future date, but now that they solicited this Greatest Hits trade, I'm starting to doubt it's ever coming out.

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

Quote Originally Posted by Starro View Post
    According to this report provided by Diamond Distribution, Hitman Vol. 1 is cancelled and will be resolicited at a future date, but now that they solicited this Greatest Hits trade, I'm starting to doubt it's ever coming out.
    Well, that's some disappointing news, but I suppose it isn't too surprising. Maybe if the Greatest Hits sells well, DC might try collecting the entire series again, assuming that the Greatest Hits itself doesn't get cancelled.

On the slimmest upside, if Hitman never does get collected into shiny new trades, at least that'll save me some money. :P

(FWIW Edelweiss still has Hitman Vol. 1's status as forthcoming so I guess we'll have to wait and see)
    Last edited by Hilden B. Lade; 04-12-2019 at 09:49 PM.

I really want the Paul Levitz 1970’s All Star Comics trade to happen

Quote Originally Posted by Hilden B. Lade View Post
    I'm not sure if these have been posted already, but from DC's latest solicits, here's something that may be of interest for Swamp Thing fans - a omnibus edition of Nancy A. Collins' run:

Unless it gets cancelled due to low orders, I believe this will be the first time Nancy A. Collins' Swamp Thing run will be collected.
    You are correct. It has never before been collected. Im also surprised they included the Black Orchid issue right off the bat, and Vertigo Jam. They did some homework on this one.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by My Two Cents View Post
    I really want the Paul Levitz 1970’s All Star Comics trade to happen
    Are the original trades out of print, I guess?

Looking at Amazon it says Levitz and Conway
    As authors and the book is 448 pages
    So I have to imagine it will collect the whole
    1970 run. Get to enjoy these stories again
    And (once again) experience the Growth of
    Power Girl issue to issue via the legend
    Him self Wally Wood

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by My Two Cents View Post
    Looking at Amazon it says Levitz and Conway
    As authors and the book is 448 pages
    So I have to imagine it will collect the whole
    1970 run.
    Get to enjoy these stories again
    And (once again) experience the Growth of
    Power Girl issue to issue via the legend
    Him self Wally Wood
    It sure looks that way:

ALL-STAR COMICS: ONLY LEGENDS LIVE FOREVER TP
    written by PAUL LEVITZ and GERRY CONWAY
    art by JOE STATON, BOB LAYTON, WALLACE WOOD, KEITH GIFFEN and others
    cover by JOE STATON and DICK GIORDANO
    The classic 1970s run of the Justice Society of America is now collected in a single volume from the pages of ALL-STAR COMICS #58-74, ADVENTURE COMICS #461-466 and DC SPECIAL #29! Witness the continuing adventures of the Flash, Green Lantern, Hawkman, Doctor Fate and Wildcat as they’re joined by younger heroes Robin, Power Girl and Star-Spangled Kid to battle the Psycho-Pirate, the immortal Vandal Savage, the Injustice Society and more.
    ON SALE 08.28.19
    $34.99 US | 448 PAGES