View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
552. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

    54 9.78%
  • Deluxe

    218 39.49%
  • Omnibus

    222 40.22%
  • Absolute

    123 22.28%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1197 of 1206 FirstFirst ... 197697109711471187119311941195119611971198119912001201 ... LastLast
Results 17,941 to 17,955 of 18088
  1. #17941
    Astonishing Member Captain Craig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    3,075

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by T.D. View Post
    This is an intriguing one. I'm holding off on the Moore/Veitch Absolutes until the inevitable Omnibus, but I didn't expect to see an entirely different Swamp Thing run collected in that format in the meantime. And one that's never been collected before, no less! That's gotta be pretty rare-- an entire run going straight from monthly to Omnibus format after a nearly 30 year gap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    SWAMP THING BY NANCY A. COLLINS OMNIBUS
    written by NANCY A. COLLINS
    art by TOM MANDRAKE, SHAWN McMANUS, JAN DUURSEMA, SCOT EATON and others
    cover by MICHAEL ZULLI
    In these 1990s tales written by critically acclaimed Bram Stoker Award-winning horror novelist Nancy A. Collins, a mad priest has come to Houma to test his followers with a fatal poison, and Swamp Thing must stop him before things go too far. Then, Swamp Thing finds himself a surprise candidate for governor of Louisiana. And when Swamp Thing must save Abigail Arcane and their daughter, Tefť, from the murderous dream-pirates of Dark Conrad, who’s he gonna call? John Constantine! Collects SWAMP THING #110-139 and ANNUAL #6 and #7, BLACK ORCHID #5, and a story from VERTIGO JAM #1, plus never-before-published behind-the-scenes material.
    ON SALE 01.08.19 | $125.00 US | 968 PAGES


    I spot read Swamp Thing in the 90s. I probably read a few of these but I wasn't buying the title with any regularity.
    If this makes it to market I'll buy it for sure.
    I agree about the monthly to Omni format with a 30yr gap observation. The only possible exception would be the material in the current volumes of the Batman/Superman/WonderWoman Golden Age Omnis that were never collected in the Archives editions I suppose.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

  2. #17942
    Mighty Member Vilynne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    1,443

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    This book is a prime candidate for cancellation, so be sure to pre-order if you want it to actually see print!
    You are sadly correct. But these days, is anything outside the reprints/Batman safe from cancelation?

    Its still surprising they would release this in Omni form, instead of fat TPBs. They still have yet to collect Wheeler's ST as well. I hope for the new DCTV they also rerelease Andy Diggle's run.

  3. #17943
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vilynne View Post
    You are sadly correct. But these days, is anything outside the reprints/Batman safe from cancelation?
    Sadly, even Batman isn't safe from cancelation Look what happened to The Dark Knight Detectice Vol. 3 TPB or to the Batman In Brave And The Bold Omnibus Vol. 3 ...

  4. #17944
    Reader of Stuff Hilden B. Lade's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one
    Posts
    2,055

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vilynne View Post
    You are sadly correct. But these days, is anything outside the reprints/Batman safe from cancelation?

    Its still surprising they would release this in Omni form, instead of fat TPBs. They still have yet to collect Wheeler's ST as well. I hope for the new DCTV they also rerelease Andy Diggle's run.
    Well Doug Wheeler's run wasn't very popular or well-regarded (according to a retrospective interview with Nancy A. Collins a few years back, she was brought onto the book with the aim of stopping the readership bleed Wheeler caused), and Doug Wheeler himself is a mega obscure writer whose biggest writing credit (possibly only?) of significance is his Swamp Thing run, so I can imagine why it wouldn't be high trading priority for DC.

    (though given DC's erratic trading behavior, considering the solicited trades of fairly popular/well-regarded/written by big industry names material they've cancelled, who can predict anything they do)
    Last edited by Hilden B. Lade; 04-16-2019 at 08:06 AM.

  5. #17945
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    607

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    BATMAN: BLACK AND WHITE OMNIBUS
    stories and art by NEAL ADAMS, BRIAN AZZARELLO, LEE BERMEJO, BRIAN BOLLAND, ED BRUBAKER, JOHN BUSCEMA, CLIFF CHIANG, DARWYN COOKE, PAUL DINI, WARREN ELLIS, HARLAN ELLISON, NEIL GAIMAN, DAVE GIBBONS, ADAM HUGHES, GEOFF JOHNS, DAVE JOHNSON, JIM LEE, DWAYNE McDUFFIE, SEAN MURPHY, DENNIS OíNEIL, PAUL POPE, ALEX ROSS, WALTER SIMONSON, RYAN SOOK, BRUCE TIMM and others
    cover by JIM LEE and SCOTT WILLIAMS
    Presented in stark black and white, these tales delve into the darkest corners of Batmanís psyche, while pitting him against his greatest foes. With stories and art by a stellar lineup of comics talent including Neil Gaiman, Jim Lee and dozens of others, this title collects stories from Black and White #1-4, Batman: Black and White #1-6 and stories from Batman: Gotham Knights #1-49.
    ON SALE 01.22.20
    $125.00 US | 912 PAGES | B&W

    Opinions on the material in this? Is it all one story? Iím going to guess it may not be considering the amount of creators in it.. I also dislike black and white art but what do people think of this stuff?

  6. #17946
    Spectacular Member Dr Hank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    US
    Posts
    132

    Default

    Got my copy of the new Death and Return of Superman today. Really nice looking book, dustjacket is the same style as the Exile omni. Binding is tight but I haven't flipped through it yet, it's about the size of the Infinite Crisis omni.

    I'm glad I never paid secondary market prices for the last edition, got rewarded with this.

  7. #17947
    Astonishing Member Clark_Kent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Smallville, KS
    Posts
    2,047

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheTemp View Post
    Opinions on the material in this? Is it all one story? I’m going to guess it may not be considering the amount of creators in it.. I also dislike black and white art but what do people think of this stuff?
    Batman B&W is fantastic. They're basically 2-4 (maybe 5) page stories, little anthologies similar to what you'd find in Detective 1000. As with most anthology books, not every story is a homerun but I found more great stories than disappointing ones in the series. I'm tempted to pick this up even though I already own the tpb's.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

    Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

  8. #17948
    Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    San Jose, CA USA
    Posts
    3,814

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hilden B. Lade View Post
    Well Doug Wheeler's run wasn't very popular or well-regarded (according to a retrospective interview with Nancy A. Collins a few years back, she was brought onto the book with the aim of stopping the readership bleed Wheeler caused), and Doug Wheeler himself is a mega obscure writer whose biggest writing credit (possibly only?) of significance is his Swamp Thing run, so I can imagine why it wouldn't be high trading priority for DC.

    (though given DC's erratic trading behavior, considering the solicited trades of fairly popular/well-regarded/written by big industry names material they've cancelled, who can predict anything they do)
    Great interview, thanks for posting! I can't believe Collins passed up the chance to write Animal Man!? We would have been spared Jerry Prosser's mess, and the book probably wouldn't have gotten the axe...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009
    7,869

    The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

  9. #17949
    Mighty Member LordJulius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,008

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheTemp View Post
    Opinions on the material in this? Is it all one story? I’m going to guess it may not be considering the amount of creators in it.. I also dislike black and white art but what do people think of this stuff?
    Now THIS is actually something that would warrant an Absolute, in contrast to some other material that has recently been given the nod.

  10. #17950
    Spectacular Member doolittle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Greensburg, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    183

    Default

    JoshuaHeM, I see you have your AIM listed. I'll hit you up on there.

  11. #17951
    Mighty Member Vilynne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    1,443

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Great interview, thanks for posting! I can't believe Collins passed up the chance to write Animal Man!? We would have been spared Jerry Prosser's mess, and the book probably wouldn't have gotten the axe...
    They need to bring back Animal Man.

    Was Prossers run truly that bad?

  12. #17952
    I am the law Judge Dredd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Mega-City One
    Posts
    1,663

    Default

    Justice League Of America: The Bronze Age Vol 1 trade paperback have been cancelled and will be replaced with Justice League Of America: The Last Survivors Of Earth! collecting the same content. I wonder why they soured on the Bronze Age title really hope they still keep the omnibus on track, but sounds like the whole line is mess and DC does not even know what they are doing. Really makes me not want to support them and just buy Marvel Omnibus because they do not randomly get cancelled a couple months before release.

  13. #17953
    Amazing Member Seeker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    AR, USA
    Posts
    76

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
    Justice League Of America: The Bronze Age Vol 1 trade paperback have been cancelled and will be replaced with Justice League Of America: The Last Survivors Of Earth! collecting the same content. I wonder why they soured on the Bronze Age title really hope they still keep the omnibus on track, but sounds like the whole line is mess and DC does not even know what they are doing. Really makes me not want to support them and just buy Marvel Omnibus because they do not randomly get cancelled a couple months before release.
    It is most definitely, a mess. A company/brand of this size should have strategy/message/marketing in place before making wholesale changes. Want to kill the line but have already solicited? Do smaller print runs to fulfill the commitment while you spread the word that you're moving in a different direction. DC has been mismanaged on many fronts for a long while, in my opinion, and has continually squandered every opportunity for growth of the brand.

  14. #17954
    I am the law Judge Dredd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Mega-City One
    Posts
    1,663

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
    It is most definitely, a mess. A company/brand of this size should have strategy/message/marketing in place before making wholesale changes. Want to kill the line but have already solicited? Do smaller print runs to fulfill the commitment while you spread the word that you're moving in a different direction. DC has been mismanaged on many fronts for a long while, in my opinion, and has continually squandered every opportunity for growth of the brand.
    Yeah the lack of plan shows poor management it seems like they randomly decided this does not work, and then just started cancelling stuff with no plan is place moving forward. I know they let some people go recently, but they should probably have had a plan in place before letting people go so things run smoothly instead of this mess.

  15. #17955
    All-New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    16

    Default

    With so much content heading to the DC Universe APP, I bought the big iPad Pro over the weekend and I'm now making the switch to digital. I thought I wouldn't like it, but with the size of the screen, it's perfect. Whether this is what DC wanted or not, my next move was to take Bronze Age Doom Patrol out of April DCBS order along with a couple other collected editions.

    I will still buy Absolute Swamp Thing if it ever gets printed, but I think that's it for collected editions. Now I'm eyeballing my shelves to see what I should sell. What a paradigm shift for me in only a few days, but I think I'm more at peace with the switch.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •