View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by bob/.schoonover View Post
    Because the BoP movie has Harley's name in it?
    I get that but my question is why are they specifically making a "new edition" without any changes if the "old edition" is still readily available compared to just doing a second printing of the original omnibus

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Have any of the Batman Golden Age Omni's had a reprint, stealth or otherwise?
    My copy of "Golden Age Batman vol 1" is a second printing dated june 2016 (the book originally came out in 2015)

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JAG2045 View Post
    My copy of "Golden Age Batman vol 1" is a second printing dated june 2016 (the book originally came out in 2015)
    Thanks for the info!
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

I see Brave and the Bold Bronze Age Omnibus volume 3 is back up on Amazon with a September release... Don’t see why they cancelled it in the first place.
    Would be great if they brought out one that contained the issues before Batman was on it.

Quote Originally Posted by JAG2045 View Post
    I get that but my question is why are they specifically making a "new edition" without any changes if the "old edition" is still readily available compared to just doing a second printing of the original omnibus
    This is just a second printing of the original omnibus.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by NeathBlue View Post
    I see Brave and the Bold Bronze Age Omnibus volume 3 is back up on Amazon with a September release... Don’t see why they cancelled it in the first place.
    Would be great if they brought out one that contained the issues before Batman was on it.
    It's not back; they just forgot to remove it from amazon.co.uk. It has completely disappeared from amazon.com and has a release year of 2080 on amazon.de (like all releases that get cancelled, but not removed). I bet there'll be no Brave and the Bold Bronze Age Omnibus volume 3 in 2019.

I kinda wish I hadn't bought the Sandman Absolute editions, then I would've just gotten the new Omnibuses instead, and gotten more content.

Also, Absolutes are more about the art, and as great as Sandman was (one of the greatest comic book series of all time), a lot of it's art was mediocre to just plain bad (some good art here and there, but that was the exception), IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by shaboo View Post
    It's not back; they just forgot to remove it from amazon.co.uk. It has completely disappeared from amazon.com and has a release year of 2080 on amazon.de (like all releases that get cancelled, but not removed). I bet there'll be no Brave and the Bold Bronze Age Omnibus volume 3 in 2019.
    It definitely got removed from amazon.co.uk because they cancelled my order of it when they did it.

Quote Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
    I kinda wish I hadn't bought the Sandman Absolute editions, then I would've just gotten the new Omnibuses instead, and gotten more content.

Also, Absolutes are more about the art, and as great as Sandman was (one of the greatest comic book series of all time), a lot of it's art was mediocre to just plain bad (some good art here and there, but that was the exception), IMO.
    I think i agree, I had the first two omnibuses but I sold them and got the Absolutes, and I probably shouldn’t have bothered.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by slop101 View Post

What material are you missing that the Omnibus version has? Omnibus Three, from my understanding, is essentially Absolute Sandman Volume 5, Absolute Death, and Absolute Sandman Overture. So a full set of either version should have the same material.

Generally I'd agree that if the art isn't spectacular, an absolute edition is overkill. But I love the Sandman enough that for me the Absolute versions are still warranted. That and Absolute Sandman Overture is just jaw dropping. J.H. Williams art in Absolute format is unreal.

Last edited by JoeGuy; 10-22-2019 at 02:54 PM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by JoeGuy View Post
    I'm going to say something blasphemous, but sometimes the art engaged me more than the story in Sandman. I loved a lot of it and Death is really likeable. Tbh I've only read the first omni so far,so my opinion is based on that.

It's just, it kind of meanders sometimes or feels stretched out. The characters and story rotate a lot. Maybe my taste is wrong and Gaiman didn't want to do a monthly so rigidly.

But my point was, the art was always changing because of the scenarios or giving new looks to the characters, but the story or characters didn't have that "serial" rhythm to it, like arc-to-arc-to-arc.
    First, your tastes are never wrong. You like what you like, and that's fine. Not everything is going to be for everyone!

Secondly, you are right that the story does meander a lot. There's a lot of shifting focus throughout the series. I will say that Gaiman does a good job of bringing back disparate characters from the first half of the story again in the second half. So by the end you do see more a throughline with how he tells the story. But Gaiman's style definitely takes detours and winding pathways, so if you're not super keen on that kind of storytelling, Sandman won't be totally for you.

Quote Originally Posted by fillmont View Post
    What material are you missing that the Omnibus version has? Omnibus Three, from my understanding, is essentially Absolute Sandman Volume 5, Absolute Death, and Absolute Sandman Overture. So a full set of either version should have the same material.

Generally I'd agree that if the art isn't spectacular, an absolute edition is overkill. But I love the Sandman enough that for me the Absolute versions are still warranted. That and Absolute Sandman Overture is just jaw dropping. J.H. Williams art in Absolute format is unreal.
    I'm missing Absolute Death & Overture, and I already have Death and Overture in their own hardcovers, so that seems unnecessary. But it would be cooler to have them collected together in an omni.
    Last edited by slop101; 05-28-2019 at 01:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Graphic Autist View Post
    Looks to have the exact same page count as the 30th Anniversary Deluxe, so I'm guessing it has the exact same material.

And I'm wondering about the Final Crisis Omni they announced...didn't the 10th Anniversary Omni come out a few months ago? What's up with that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    Yes, this is a strange one. It came out around October 2018 IINM. DC have been known to put out "stealth" 2nd prints. Maybe they are now including them in the solicitations. For example, I believe the Superman Golden Age Vol. 1 Omnibus already had a 2nd printing which wasn't "announced". This "new" Superman Omni printing is at least its third printing. Morrison's Animal Man Omnibus also had an "undercover" 2nd and possible 3rd printing and still managed to go OOP.
    Thanks for the info guys. After the altered new printing of Death and Return of Superman, I'm on the lookout for "improved" reprints.

Incredible Member

The cover for Golden Age Superman vol 6 has finally been revealed
    https://www.amazon.com/Superman-Gold...gateway&sr=8-1