View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Quote Originally Posted by rtk79 View Post
    I thought that the Return of Bruce Wayne, in particular, had spectacular bits of writing that don't necessarily jump out of at you. I'm very impressed by the "caveman" speech in #1 for instance. It's simple, beautiful in its way and a far cry from the grunting most writers would have used. And this sort of clever use of voice occur throughout volume 2.
    I also love the interweaving going on. Which is both very original and thoroughly sympathetic to the nature of monthly comics.
    Finally, I don't think there's any dumbing down at work in Batman & Robin, only a different, more energetic, focus, taht's also borne by the 3-part story structure used during the run. I think the final 4 issues of B&R, especially, are amanzingly manic.
    That said, we do agree that these are all high-class books, bound to be appreciated diffrently by each and every reader.

I don't disagree with you, and I completely agree about the final 4 issues of B&R being great stuff. From my perspective, it was a return to form to what Morrison did in volume 1.

Dumbing down might've been the wrong choice of words. What I probably should've said was B&R (Before the final 4 issues) came across as more accessible or simplistic in its writing, in comparison to the crazy stuff Morrison did with RIP. At the time, I got the impression DC may have mandated for Morrison to tone it down, due to all the fan complaints, but who knows.....I will say I don't remember complaints about not understanding what's going on from B&R, upward. Either the writing became more accessible to the people who made complaints, or they may have jumped ship.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    ^^^^^
    Also, the Joker Bronze Age Omni, allegedly cancelled, is still(or back on) track it would seem.
    However, please tell me this cover showing on Amazon isn't real? Surely DC Collections Dept wouldn't drastically alter their cover scheme for this book or start doing it on others going forward?

It's DC - I wouldn't put anything past them. And since this will be a one-off, yeah, that may very well be.

This one was never cancelled, though - we did fear for its fate after what happened to JL3 and TBATB3, but it was only slightly delayed.
    Last edited by ShooCat; 06-26-2019 at 12:08 PM.

I plan on grabbing the Hex book, but in general I would think that JL3 and BB3 would be better sellers DC really needs to clean up this mess a bit.

image.jpg
    I found this cover over at Tales of wonder.I know it's not the cover,but it should have BA art for the cover.
    Last edited by bob fett; 06-26-2019 at 01:38 PM.
    DC,I need Bronze Age Batman,Green Lantern,and Flash collected.Please,and thank you.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsay Snow View Post
    I don't disagree with you, and I completely agree about the final 4 issues of B&R being great stuff. From my perspective, it was a return to form to what Morrison did in volume 1.

Dumbing down might've been the wrong choice of words. What I probably should've said was B&R (Before the final 4 issues) came across as more accessible or simplistic in its writing, in comparison to the crazy stuff Morrison did with RIP. At the time, I got the impression DC may have mandated for Morrison to tone it down, due to all the fan complaints, but who knows.....I will say I don't remember complaints about not understanding what's going on from B&R, upward. Either the writing became more accessible to the people who made complaints, or they may have jumped ship.
    I just finished re-reading (just got the omnibus) and I think a lot of it has to do with setting up a new status quo. Volume 1 started with your basic Batman status quo from the previous 15 years - Tim was Robin, Bruce was Batman, Dick was Nightwing, the Joker was crazy. Gordon basically says "Nice crime blitz putting everyone away" and we're off to the races. It didn't take much to jump in to the three Batmen and space medicine experiments. In volume 2, Damian's character growth needed some straightforward stories around it to stand out. We also needed to see how Dick functioned as Batman, and with a very inexperienced Robin. I wish we'd gotten another year of Dick and Damian from Morrison before they brought Bruce back, even if that was never realistic.

Even then, though, I think the first 9 issues if B&R do have a lot going on that set the stages for the completely bug nuts final 7+ issues - Sexton, Pyg's virus, the new wave of criminals, the dominoes. It's just not as outwardly mysterious as "what is Zurr en Arrh?" or "who is the Black Glove?" and you only see the pictures in retrospect - more of your standard detective story where you see all the clues once you've learned the identity of the murderer.
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
    I plan on grabbing the Hex book, but in general I would think that JL3 and BB3 would be better sellers DC really needs to clean up this mess a bit.
    I agree about Justice League Bronze Age Omnibus 3, we need that.

Bronze Age original Hex is ridiculously uncollected in color, it feels like more than any DC character ever.

So, I think is Hex Omnibus is hugely important. And I think many Bronze Age fans are super hungry for it.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

The Zero Hour 25th Anniversary Omnibus is getting a price bump from $125 to $150 with its page count jumping from 976 pages to 1,096 pages. It adds Damage #0, Superman: Man of Steel #0, the Zero Month Sampler, and other material.
    https://www.newsarama.com/45786-zero...f-release.html

ZERO HOUR 25TH ANNIVERSARY OMNIBUS HC
    written by DAN JURGENS and others
    art by DAN JURGENS, JERRY ORDWAY and others
    cover by DAN JURGENS and JERRY ORDWAY
    Celebrating the 25th anniversary of the time-warping event, this massive collection features collects Action Comics #703, Adventures of Superman #516, Anima #7, Batman #511, Batman: Shadow of the Bat #31, Catwoman #14, Damage #0 and #6, Darkstars #24, Detective Comics #678, The Flash #0 and #94, Green Arrow #90, Green Lantern #0 and #55, Guy Gardner: Warrior #24, Hawkman #13, Justice League America #92, Justice League International #68, Justice League Task Force #16, L.E.G.I.O.N. '94 #70, Legionnaires #18, Legion of Super-Heroes #61, Outsiders #11, Robin #10, Steel #8, Superboy #8, Superman #93, Superman: Man of Steel #0 and #37, Team Titans #24, Valor #23, Zero Hour #4-#0, and Stories from Showcase '94 #8-#10, along with a foreword by Dan Jurgens, afterword by series editor KC Carlson, the Zero Month Sampler and an extensive gallery of promotional and behind-the-scenes material.
    ON SALE 09.25.19 | $150.00 US | 1096 AGES
    FC | 7.0625” x 10.875”
    Interesting. That trademark dispute with Sony over the name 'Zero Hour' has not been resolved yet. I wonder if they're close to settling.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

^ ^ ^

Superman: MoS #0 was part 1 of a 4 part story; it's a pointless addition if they aren't adding the other 3 books. I don't recall what was important enough about Damage #0 to warrant it's addition.

I'd have rather paid $125 and kept it as it was...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I am super excited about the Jonah Hex book. Next on my wish list of books would be a Sgt. Rock Omnibus and a Bronze Age Superman book.

Incredible Member Graphic Autist's Avatar

Did the Superman Golden Age Omnibus v6 get delayed? IST had it advertised as a July 3rd release on the DM (which would show as being available to order by the afternoon of the 2nd on their website), but IST has it listed as unavailable.

Anyone hear anything?

All-New Member

Why are the most recent Batman Omnis so much more expensive than the early ones?

($70-$80 vs. $40)

Quote Originally Posted by Bound_Tales View Post
    Why are the most recent Batman Omnis so much more expensive than the early ones?

($70-$80 vs. $40)
    If you're refering to the Golden Age books, I've heard it's because that material hasn't been reprinted before so it cost more. But I'm hardly the expert about this.......
    "When you have to shoot...shoot, don't talk" Tuco

Incredible Member

Yeah, if you’re talking about the “___ Age” line, much of the price depends on whether the material has already been cleaned up and restored. For the first few GA volumes for each of the Big 3, that material had previously been reprinted in the Archives and Chronicles volumes over the years, so DC could charge less for it. Once they got past where those lines ended, they needed to start cleaning and restoring new material, which adds to the cost to produce, thus resulting in a price increase.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Graphic Autist View Post
    Did the Superman Golden Age Omnibus v6 get delayed? IST had it advertised as a July 3rd release on the DM (which would show as being available to order by the afternoon of the 2nd on their website), but IST has it listed as unavailable.

Anyone hear anything?
    Yes, delayed, but only a couple of weeks, from July 3rd to July 31st.

Incredible Member Graphic Autist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shaboo View Post
    Yes, delayed, but only a couple of weeks, from July 3rd to July 31st.
    Thank you!