View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
581. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

    57 9.81%
  • Deluxe

    230 39.59%
  • Omnibus

    235 40.45%
  • Absolute

    130 22.38%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1237 of 1266 FirstFirst ... 2377371137118712271233123412351236123712381239124012411247 ... LastLast
Results 18,541 to 18,555 of 18982
  1. #18541
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    564

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DantonR View Post
    Received my Batman by Snyder and Capullo today.

    This may seem like a silly question but is there a safe way to stretch the spine of a DC Omni w/o damaging it?

    I ask b/c this thing does not sit flat. It does not form an "eye" when opened up and the book really has some gutter loss issues.

    I was really looking forward to the oversized presentation but after flipping through today, I'm not sure if I want to keep this or just stick with the smaller hardcovers from a few years back.
    This is what I was worried about. The Invisibles omnibus was way too big and the page count doesnít seem all that far off on this one.

    Iím really hoping theyíll collect a few more arcs of their run in Absolute format. Absolute Court of Owls is the perfect.

  2. #18542
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fillmont View Post
    I almost don't want to get it now because of this. What is with DC and their obsession with recolors?

  3. #18543
    Mighty Member My Two Cents's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    United States of America
    Posts
    1,673

    Default

    Don’t mind the color changes.

  4. #18544
    Secret Wars II Apologist DantonR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Department K, North of 60
    Posts
    169

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnatellodi View Post
    This is what I was worried about. The Invisibles omnibus was way too big and the page count doesn’t seem all that far off on this one.

    I’m really hoping they’ll collect a few more arcs of their run in Absolute format. Absolute Court of Owls is the perfect.
    So, as I make my way through the Owls arc, I'm running my hand down (pressing down) the left page of the book each time I turn the page. It seems to help out a little bit.

    Such a beautiful book in every other way.

  5. #18545
    Incredible Member Graphic Autist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    771

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DantonR View Post
    Received my Batman by Snyder and Capullo today.

    This may seem like a silly question but is there a safe way to stretch the spine of a DC Omni w/o damaging it?

    I ask b/c this thing does not sit flat. It does not form an "eye" when opened up and the book really has some gutter loss issues.
    This has been confirmed in a video I saw from Gem Mint Collectibles. His is exactly the way you describe your copy as. Seems DC is still hit-and-miss when it comes to the binding quality on their big books.

  6. #18546
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    564

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by My Two Cents View Post
    Don’t mind the color changes.
    I’m mixed on them.

    I think they provide a greater sense of atmosphere, but there seems to be a loss in texture, unless that’s just an illusion to my eyes.

    On second thought, I prefer the slime green and fun neon colors of the original, which make it feel more otherworldly, but the new coloring is easier to follow and easier on the eyes.
    Last edited by Johnatellodi; 11-03-2019 at 11:27 AM.

  7. #18547
    Secret Wars II Apologist DantonR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Department K, North of 60
    Posts
    169

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Graphic Autist View Post
    This has been confirmed in a video I saw from Gem Mint Collectibles. His is exactly the way you describe your copy as. Seems DC is still hit-and-miss when it comes to the binding quality on their big books.
    Stings just a little more when he opens the Lucifer omni in that video.

  8. #18548
    Of the O'Sullivan Clan Brian's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    300

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Graphic Autist View Post
    This has been confirmed in a video I saw from Gem Mint Collectibles. His is exactly the way you describe your copy as. Seems DC is still hit-and-miss when it comes to the binding quality on their big books.
    Quote Originally Posted by DantonR View Post
    Stings just a little more when he opens the Lucifer omni in that video.
    And it looks like they were both printed by the same company, which makes this even more peculiar. I thought DC had left binding problems like this behind them long ago.

  9. #18549
    Amazing Member cmcok68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnatellodi View Post
    I’m mixed on them.

    I think they provide a greater sense of atmosphere, but there seems to be a loss in texture, unless that’s just an illusion to my eyes.

    On second thought, I prefer the slime green and fun neon colors of the original, which make it feel more otherworldly, but the new coloring is easier to follow and easier on the eyes.
    Yea I think I agree with this.

    Also it's worth noting that the original colors don't look nearly as loud in print as they do digitized. Here's a comparison of new colors against the original colors as printed:

    https://imgur.com/a/9qdvll7

  10. #18550
    Mighty Member My Two Cents's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    United States of America
    Posts
    1,673

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    And it looks like they were both printed by the same company, which makes this even more peculiar. I thought DC had left binding problems like this behind them long ago.
    The only thing D C left behind was pride in the work they did
    And how it was offered to the public.
    I am just so happy to finally get a Snyder Batman Omnibus.
    I guess when I get to the first page where I can
    Not dig all the words buried into the spine
    Is when The honeymoon will officially be over
    And dishes will start to fly.

  11. #18551
    Fantastic Member slop101's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    281

    Default

    Part of it is that the original colors look better on news-print paper than they do on the glossy Absolute paper, so that has to be taken into account. Newsprint has a dulling effect on those colors, so the original coloring would look too garish on glossy white paper.

  12. #18552
    Spectacular Member VanWinkle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    200

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
    Part of it is that the original colors look better on news-print paper than they do on the glossy Absolute paper, so that has to be taken into account. Newsprint has a dulling effect on those colors, so the original coloring would look too garish on glossy white paper.
    Some Absolute editions use matte paper, though, like Watchmen or Batman The Long Halloween.

  13. #18553
    Spectacular Member T.D.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    169

    Default

    I'd prefer the original colors used, but if they are going to recolor I wish they would maintain fidelity to the original color scheme.

    Even if they're going to update it with modern digital coloring techniques, I'd prefer if the tone and feel of the original was better respected, rather than throwing it out entirely and creating something entirely new. The eerie, psychedelic colors of the original Swamp Thing run are an iconic part of the series; replacing that with naturalistic, realistic colors is such a disappointing choice.

    For comparison's sake, I created a mockup that shows how they might have been able to do that. Here's the original floppy, the TPB/hardcover reprint (which I think came out a bit too bright and pastel), and my own re-colored version:

    SwampThing_0.jpg

    SwampThing_1.jpg

    SwampThing2_Revised.jpg

  14. #18554
    Spectacular Member T.D.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    169

    Default

    And here's Ollif's official recoloring for the Absolute:

    SwampThing_3.jpg

  15. #18555
    Spectacular Member seusilva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Sorocaba, Brasil
    Posts
    177

    Default

    The official recoloring looks like any generic Superhero book today.
    And I didn't know how the originals look like!! I always thought the version from the TPs were the original ones haha thank you T.D.!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •