View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Quote Originally Posted by Rimmer View Post
    If you've seen the original 3 omnis, the first is very small, then the 2nd and 3rd are larger and equivalent sizes. You would think with the added material in this new vol 1, that the 3 volumes will be more the same size.
    They could also put in Johns' second run (Barry's return), that goes up to (and hopefully including) Flashpoint. I don't think that has been verified, but it would be great if they did that.
    The first new omni covers a little less than half of what the original 3 books collected, so feasibly a second new omni would take us up to Flash #225. Using the page counts of the various trades as a guide, a third new omni would need to include Flashpoint to be similar in size to the first two. So, fingers crossed!

Spectacular Member

I’m new here but been following this site for a while as I’ve quickly amassed my collected editions collection. So disappointed to find out that the Man of Steel Omni is no more. Superman has been my favorite hero since I was a child. I first got into it because of him and considering how many quality omnis Batman has, really needed this one for the Boy Scout. Sucks to find out. We can only hope that we get this within the next two years.

Quote Originally Posted by Nab432 View Post
    I’m new here but been following this site for a while as I’ve quickly amassed my collected editions collection. So disappointed to find out that the Man of Steel Omni is no more. Superman has been my favorite hero since I was a child. I first got into it because of him and considering how many quality omnis Batman has, really needed this one for the Boy Scout. Sucks to find out. We can only hope that we get this within the next two years.
    Welcome on board!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    The first new omni covers a little less than half of what the original 3 books collected, so feasibly a second new omni would take us up to Flash #225. Using the page counts of the various trades as a guide, a third new omni would need to include Flashpoint to be similar in size to the first two. So, fingers crossed!
    I've been waiting to see if and when the Flash by Johns v7 comes out to see if it has Flashpoint in it. I figure that'll be a good leading indicator (it stands to reason v7 will exist and come out before we get to a new omni v3) of what'll be in the omnibus
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Welcome on board!
    Thank you sir

Amazing Member

Thanks for the heads up on the flash Omni. I’m pulling the trigger on it along with animal man and I’ll cross the original 3 off my “wanted” list. Here’s hoping the next volume covers the rest of the run.

Incredible Member

As someone who owns the original 3 flash by Johns Omniboo, and will be getting the new ones and have already traded in my first two, When they announced the new set they said it would collect all of Johns stuff, I can’t recall where it was but it will collect more then what the original three collected. I think that’s already evidenced by the fact that this new volume 1 collects all of volume 1, and pretty much half of volume 2 and I think extra stuff As well, I would suspect volume 2 will collect the rest of the original 2 omni’s and then some. Maybe leading into a flashpoint omnibus?

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Did anyone get glossy paper on their JL Deluxe? Mine is not. Paper quality is terrible.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    Did anyone get glossy paper on their JL Deluxe? Mine is not. Paper quality is terrible.
    I was collecting Batman Rebirth Deluxe Edition until the latest book, volume 4, changed the paper for one of a lesser quality that doesn't match up with today's comicbook art. Maybe DC decided to do the same on every Deluxe Edition (which doesn't justify the "Deluxe" title anymore). After this, and since there wasn't even a reduction in price, I decided to continue the collection with the spanish edition of the current Batman run. A shame, since I was really enjoying the Deluxe format
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheTemp View Post
    As someone who owns the original 3 flash by Johns Omniboo, and will be getting the new ones and have already traded in my first two, When they announced the new set they said it would collect all of Johns stuff, I can’t recall where it was but it will collect more then what the original three collected. I think that’s already evidenced by the fact that this new volume 1 collects all of volume 1, and pretty much half of volume 2 and I think extra stuff As well, I would suspect volume 2 will collect the rest of the original 2 omni’s and then some. Maybe leading into a flashpoint omnibus?
    I just bought the three Johns Flash omnis used for about $114 on eBay. Would you say it’s worth it to get these new editions and try to sell off the old ones?

Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
    I was collecting Batman Rebirth Deluxe Edition until the latest book, volume 4, changed the paper for one of a lesser quality that doesn't match up with today's comicbook art. Maybe DC decided to do the same on every Deluxe Edition (which doesn't justify the "Deluxe" title anymore). After this, and since there wasn't even a reduction in price, I decided to continue the collection with the spanish edition of the current Batman run. A shame, since I was really enjoying the Deluxe format
    If you look at singles, they changed to this new paper in correlation with a price increase. $2.99 books continued to have glossy paper until they switched to this new paper stock and the book changed to $3.99. This leads me to believe it's a more expensive paper.

Also, plenty of deluxe editions have used this paper over the years. DC The New Frontier, JSA The Golden Age, The Atlantis Chronicles, Superman: Secret Identity, and Cosmic Odyssey to name a few.

Last edited by JoeGuy; 08-24-2020 at 07:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by VanWinkle View Post
    If you look at singles, they changed to this new paper in correlation with a price increase. $2.99 books continued to have glossy paper until they switched to this new paper stock and the book changed to $3.99. This leads me to believe it's a more expensive paper.

Also, plenty of deluxe editions have used this paper over the years. DC The New Frontier, JSA The Golden Age, The Atlantis Chronicles, Superman: Secret Identity, and Cosmic Odyssey to name a few.
    I think it had to do more with the actual state of the comicbook market than with a more expensive paper. Marvel have been charging 3.99 for years without a better quality in their floppies. DC resisted many years with the 2.99 tag. I've touched the new paper in tradepaperbacks and it's also of a worse quality than before, but still better than what they used in the 4th volume of the Batman Rebirth Deluxe Edition. Just to be clear, I don't think this paper is bad per se, but it doesn't fit the style nor the coloring of modern comicbooks. The glossy paper doesn't work well with comics from the 80s or older in contraposition. I have noted the lessen in quality in other books I collect, like the Amazing Spider-Man Epic Collection, but none so jarring as the Deluxe case
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
    Dang. That's disappointing
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Spectacular Member

I’m reading the Superman Exile omnibus right now. Just finished Superman #450. Superman banishing himself from Earth and saying goodbye to his parents and Lana had me tearing up a bit. I’ll admit Supes is my favorite but didn’t expect to react as strongly as I did to that sequence. Love this stuff. Holds up pretty well considering it’s late 80s material. Makes me even more disappointed that the Byrne Omni was cancelled. Really hope we get that eventually.