View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    Dang. That's disappointing
    Anybody gonna write a complaint to DC or something???

Quote Originally Posted by Nab432 View Post
    I’m reading the Superman Exile omnibus right now. Just finished Superman #450. Superman banishing himself from Earth and saying goodbye to his parents and Lana had me tearing up a bit. I’ll admit Supes is my favorite but didn’t expect to react as strongly as I did to that sequence. Love this stuff. Holds up pretty well considering it’s late 80s material. Makes me even more disappointed that the Byrne Omni was cancelled. Really hope we get that eventually.
    Yeah I really liked that omni, some great stories and art in there. I read the Death/Return omni after that and it was fantastic too.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Hank View Post
    Yeah I really liked that omni, some great stories and art in there. I read the Death/Return omni after that and it was fantastic too.
    Glad you liked Death/Return as well. I read the first tpb and wasn’t feeling it. I’ll go back to it at some point. I could definitely see why many consider it as DC just using it to jumpstart sales. It read as very cheesy to me. The Exile Omni has been much more readable. I’m a third of the way through and I haven’t felt like I’m forcing myself to go along at all the way I was with death/return. But I don’t want to judge that period until I’ve read the whole thing. Maybe will make my way to it after finishing exile.

I mean yeah it's really gimmicky, it certainly was when it was originally released too (if you're old enough to remember that). But once you get past that stuff and into the Reign of the Supermen issues, which I'd never read, I absolutely loved the rest of the book. I enjoyed that omni way more than I thought I would I highly recommend it.

It also helps that I bought some of the TPBs of issues between the two omnis, since it'll probably be forever until they release omnis conn citing the two.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Hank View Post
    I mean yeah it's really gimmicky, it certainly was when it was originally released too (if you're old enough to remember that). But once you get past that stuff and into the Reign of the Supermen issues, which I'd never read, I absolutely loved the rest of the book. I enjoyed that omni way more than I thought I would I highly recommend it.

It also helps that I bought some of the TPBs of issues between the two omnis, since it'll probably be forever until they release omnis conn citing the two.
    That’s good to know. I didn’t make it that far before so will give it another try. Also, not too familiar with the gap between exile and death/return. Just did some quick research and looks like I need to collect the following issues unless I’m mistaken: Action Comics 647-683, Action Comics Annual 3-4, Superman 38-73, Adventures of Superman 461-494, Superman: The Man of Steel 1-17. That comes out to 126 issues which is enormous. Man they need an omnibus collecting all this. No idea why Superman has such few omnis especially when compared to Batman. I can’t imagine that all this has been collected in trades. I’ll do further research on it. I’m right now in the process of collecting all nine Byrne trades. Have four of the nine but some go for a lot on the secondary market. Thanks for the info. Will look into this more.
    Last edited by Nab432; 12-22-2019 at 11:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
    I think it had to do more with the actual state of the comicbook market than with a more expensive paper. Marvel have been charging 3.99 for years without a better quality in their floppies. DC resisted many years with the 2.99 tag. I've touched the new paper in tradepaperbacks and it's also of a worse quality than before, but still better than what they used in the 4th volume of the Batman Rebirth Deluxe Edition. Just to be clear, I don't think this paper is bad per se, but it doesn't fit the style nor the coloring of modern comicbooks. The glossy paper doesn't work well with comics from the 80s or older in contraposition. I have noted the lessen in quality in other books I collect, like the Amazing Spider-Man Epic Collection, but none so jarring as the Deluxe case
    But, again, a few lingering DC books after the main paper stock switch remained at $2.99 and continued to use the glossy paper until they switched to the thicker matte stock, at which point they switched to $3.99.

And a lot of people love the new paper stock. I certainly do. I've heard plenty of creators say they love it. It's thick, less reflective, and colors look amazing on it. I think it's way better than the thin wrinkly glossy stock they had before.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nab432 View Post
    I just bought the three Johns Flash omnis used for about $114 on eBay. Would you say it’s worth it to get these new editions and try to sell off the old ones?
    For myself that is the impression I’ve got from what they’ve said. Considering the first new one already contains one and a half of the previous 3 (unless something’s changed) it’s not hard to come to the conclusion that they’d be collecting a lot more of the story in subsequent volumes!

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheTemp View Post
    For myself that is the impression I’ve got from what they’ve said. Considering the first new one already contains one and a half of the previous 3 (unless something’s changed) it’s not hard to come to the conclusion that they’d be collecting a lot more of the story in subsequent volumes!
    Amazon described it as “extended recut” release so I think you’re right. Bad timing on my part. I guess I’ll sell off the old vol 1 and buy the new vol 1 while I wait for the other releases.

Brek Zarith

BATMAN VOL. 12: CITY OF BANE PART ONE HC
    Why a hardcover edition in a paperback collection?
    Last edited by Brek Zarith; 12-24-2019 at 12:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brek Zarith View Post
    BATMAN VOL. 12: CITY OF BANE PART ONE HC
    Why an hardcover edition in a paperback collection?
    Probably to milk more dough out of people. I've never really understood that either.

Amazing Member

Can someone point me to a list of Justice League books and best way to collect them from New52/Rebirth onward. Ideally in oversized HC but regular HC is cool too. I got too excited and double dipped at a recent LCS clearance sale ($5 HC box, woohoo) and now I’m just confused on Justice League, Justice League America and Justice League United (any others?). Seems like some titles are collected in HC and some not (I only ever found justice league dark in TPB).

These recent buys were inspired by the JLI Omnibus 2 announcement, lol. Thanks in advance.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by JCinOntario View Post
    Can someone point me to a list of Justice League books and best way to collect them from New52/Rebirth onward. Ideally in oversized HC but regular HC is cool too. I got too excited and double dipped at a recent LCS clearance sale ($5 HC box, woohoo) and now I’m just confused on Justice League, Justice League America and Justice League United (any others?). Seems like some titles are collected in HC and some not (I only ever found justice league dark in TPB).

These recent buys were inspired by the JLI Omnibus 2 announcement, lol. Thanks in advance.
    I would say if you’re waiting on New 52 Justice League, it was done by Geoff Johns just wait for the omnibuses, but if you really want to read it, I think they’ve only done regular sized hardcovers. Maybe an absolute or two of one of the arcs.

Quote Originally Posted by ShooCat View Post
    Nice spine. (Not my pic.)

Wait, when does this come out? Amazon has it listed in stock and released on the 17th of Dec...but I don't remember InStockTrades having it, and CheapGraphicNovels has it listed for the 21st of Jan.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheTemp View Post
    I would say if you’re waiting on New 52 Justice League, it was done by Geoff Johns just wait for the omnibuses, but if you really want to read it, I think they’ve only done regular sized hardcovers. Maybe an absolute or two of one of the arcs.
    Is the Johns series the on JL series during New 52? Any recs on other writers/runs? I saw the rebirth run by Hitch is collected in deluxe HC.

Quote Originally Posted by ER Prest View Post
    Wait, when does this come out? Amazon has it listed in stock and released on the 17th of Dec...but I don't remember InStockTrades having it, and CheapGraphicNovels has it listed for the 21st of Jan.
    Yes, for some odd reason this was released by Amazon earlier than the direct market. They shipped it to me over a week ago.