View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

That Who's Who Omnibus is very exciting!
    I recall getting those 3 hole punch volumes and filling up the binder! Great memories! Geez, I wonder what ever happened to mine?!
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    That Who's Who Omnibus is very exciting!
    I recall getting those 3 hole punch volumes and filling up the binder! Great memories! Geez, I wonder what ever happened to mine?!
    It looks like this book will collect the earlier Who's Who series, as opposed to the hole-punched loose leaf series from the early 90's. I could be wrong though.

Either way, I'm shocked to see it collected at all. Given DC's penchant for rebooting, they've tended to shy away from declaring anything as "definitive" for many years now.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Not to nay say anyone's excitement about this, but when Marvel Announced their 'Official Handbook to the Marvel Universe' omnibus, I was overjoyed. I POURED over those books when I was a kid, before the internet - I'd come across a Cap story where he was fighting Arcade, and not being an X-men fan, I had no clue who that was -> pull out the handbook and read about him.

Anyways, I got it, opened the seal, flipped through it... and haven't looked at it since. I think the IDEA of it excites me more then the actual product. Will you use it as a reference tool? Of course not, the material is mega dated, and the internet is at your fingertips. Is it cool? Hell yes. Will DC's be cool? Hell yes. But just realize that it's not something you're (probably) going to pour over like you did when you were a kid; it's just different now. At least in my experience.
    "Boomerang arrow, Kate... It comes back to you in the end. Boomerang. Respect it." - Clint
    "Why the hell do you need an arrow that comes back to you after you shoot it, Clint?" - Kate
    "Because... Boomerangs." - Clint.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rimmer View Post
    Not to nay say anyone's excitement about this, but when Marvel Announced their 'Official Handbook to the Marvel Universe' omnibus, I was overjoyed. I POURED over those books when I was a kid, before the internet - I'd come across a Cap story where he was fighting Arcade, and not being an X-men fan, I had no clue who that was -> pull out the handbook and read about him.

Anyways, I got it, opened the seal, flipped through it... and haven't looked at it since. I think the IDEA of it excites me more then the actual product. Will you use it as a reference tool? Of course not, the material is mega dated, and the internet is at your fingertips. Is it cool? Hell yes. Will DC's be cool? Hell yes. But just realize that it's not something you're (probably) going to pour over like you did when you were a kid; it's just different now. At least in my experience.
    At the very least they could update it. I won’t get it because it’s very dated. Maybe if something similar was done with all the knowledge that exists currently I’d be open to it but no thanks to this release.

Great post. I was exactly the same as a kid, used to love those Marvel ones so I could study up on characters I didn't know. But I know I'd never read through those now because of the reasons you mentioned. Plus some omnibus have features like that in the back also.

Spectacular Member

Exactly my thoughts. Kinda obscure and much too dated to be of any interest. Give me JLA Bronze Age Omnbinus 3 instead! it is long overdue!

Incredible Member

The Encyclopedia character based ones for Marvel and DC published by DK Books just aren't the same and are just brief summaries.

Mighty Member
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by bob.schoonover View Post
    Cool to see them reprinting Connor Hawke, more 90's Chuck Dixon is always great to have!

be still my heart

Didn’t think we’d ever get the Connor Hawke stuff collected.

More PRH fishing:

Power of Shazam Book 2: http://prhinternationalsales.com/boo...=9781779504708

Connor Hawke Green Arrow v1: http://prhinternationalsales.com/boo...=9781779509192
    Power of Shazam! is a must have, Even though I know DC wont follow through past a volume or two of Connor Hawke I'm tempted. I have a much greater appreciation of Chuck Dixon after reading his Birds of Prey and Robin collections from kindle sales. Hopefully it get's at least a volume 2.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I hate double dipping. However, we can't really be sure this is a possible double dip situation. (My inner monologue for reference)

I love the Connor Hawke era of Green Arrow. Never thought we'd see collections but I largely, very largely only buy Omnis.
    We may never see this era in Omnis so buying these TPBs is ok this time. These, I crack myself up. A volume 2 isn't guaranteed, this is DC of course.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Spectacular Member

http://prhinternationalsales.com/?s=...D9781779509192

Credit to Near Mints fb page

(My bad already mentioned!)

Spectacular Member

Oh man. This made my day. So happy to see a Flashpoint Omni. Really wanted this.

Amazing Member

The Flash by Geoff Johns Omnibus Vol. 2 https://www.amazon.com/dp/177950750X..._DhKfFbYZM1GXB

Wonder if a third one will be printed to include his Rebirth mini and lead up to Flashpoint?