View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    While it will be nice to have those 9-panel pages in a larger format, the letters pages were an essential part of the 5YL experience. Also, the floppies can be found for less than cover price in most bargain bins. If you're strictly limited to one or the other, I'd actually go with the floppies.

I haven't heard anything about the omni being recolored; I'd be surprised if DC found this collection worthy of the time and attention required for that.
    Thank you for your reply. I think I will go with the floppies. And maybe the omnibus later on. I assume it is going to be recolored -JLI omnibus like recoloring would hurt Giffen's art so much.

Is there a confirmed contents for the Morrison JLA Omni coming ?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Russ840 View Post
    Is there a confirmed contents for the Morrison JLA Omni coming ?
    Yes*: Collects JLA #1-17, #22-26, #28-31, #34, #36-#41, JLA One Million, and JLA: Earth 2

*Probably. That contents doesn't entirely track with the page count (1504). Page count could be wrong, of course, or there are more things in the omni (JLA: Classified 1-3, JLA/WildCATS, maybe Aztec)
    Last edited by bob.schoonover; 08-08-2020 at 12:26 PM.
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Astonishing Member

so New at collecting DC hardcover collection, athough to be honest i only limit to Batman. I mostly collect Marvel like the X-titles, Spider-titles and Hulk with some marvel horror, well I got a section of shelf dedicated to Batman collection, in a span of 2 weeks got myself Year one, Killing Joke, Batman Grant morrison omnibus vol 1 2, Synder/Capullo omnibus 1 and DKR slipcase hardcover with Black mirror coming in the mail this week. gonna grab morrison omni vol 3 once instocktrades has it first day, i was thinking of doing getting Loeb/Sale but with the recent news about Loeb Im less motivated to spend my money and save it for something else like the Paul Dini Omnibus coming soon.

Not sure what the "deal is with Loeb" but I read that omni earlier this year and it's well made. I'd never read the material and even though it didn't live up to what others had told me, still a good read and great art.

But I preordered that Dini omni and am currently reading the first Morrison omni, really enjoying that. I mostly stopped reading Batman comics back when Knightfall started coming out so all this stuff is new to me too.

Spectacular Member

"It is also notable that the Collected Editions department at DC has seen a considerable winnowing, almost as much as DC Direct. Print collections of currently serialised work take a lot less to produce than the remastering, archiving and retrieval of classic work in new and appealing formats."

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/afte...for-dc-comics/

Not good

I'm not interested in the current books so I guess if they discontinue restoration of classic material, I'll have to spend my money elsewhere.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Has anyone else thought "If 2020 gets much worse....."
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by shaboo View Post
    "It is also notable that the Collected Editions department at DC has seen a considerable winnowing, almost as much as DC Direct. Print collections of currently serialised work take a lot less to produce than the remastering, archiving and retrieval of classic work in new and appealing formats."

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/afte...for-dc-comics/

Not good
    Yeah, I read that line and my wallet rejoiced. Me, not so much. I am down to three non-limited-run titles in floppy and three I read in trade right now from DC. A big reset that changes creative teams around could open that up to more titles, but it really could get me to the "stop getting floppies" point, which would be a shame for a number of reasons (not the least of which is how my comic shop will do if I'm not the only one that does that). And most of my DC money is going to archival stuff, some a bit older (GA by Grell and the LoSH 5YL omnis, WW by WML, etc.) and some newer (Flashpoint omni, new cuts of Gail's run on BoP, etc).

It's so stunning to me that the Marvel Epic Collections line just keeps chugging along and DC/WB cannot figure out how to make archival/classic stories profitable enough.
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Some more info from Bleeding Cool

DC Collected Editions have lost their two most senior people. Scott Nybakken, Senior Editor – Collected Editions who has been at DC for over twenty years after working at The Comics Journal. And Jeb Woodard, Production Manager at DC Comics, who has worked there for a 14 years stretch with another three years at the publisher before then.

As Bleeding Cool previously reported, DC Comics' title count is to be reduced, both monthly books and collections. While a relatively few number of editors have gone, almost all assistant editors and associate editors have retained their jobs, and may see promotions.

Those editors still in jobs will now have to edit the collections of the monthly books they already work on, rather than use the Collected Editions department. Archival projects, seen as more labour intensive will be reduced or licenced out to the likes of Scott Dunbier at IDW.
    https://bleedingcool.com/comics/dc-c...ditor-changes/

I wonder where that leaves books that aren't archival projects, but aren't collections of currently published books or characters, eg Starman.

I wonder where that leaves the Ex Machina Compendium vol 2

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by bob.schoonover View Post

It's so stunning to me that the Marvel Epic Collections line just keeps chugging along and DC/WB cannot figure out how to make archival/classic stories profitable enough.
    Agreed, Marvel have Marvel Masterworks of Dazzler & Brother Voodoo in the pipeline, DC meanwhile is still trying to complete the Golden Age Trinity before they start on the Silver Age and there have been no classic Barry Allen Flash collections since the Silver Age Flash volume 3 back in 2018!

Spectacular Member

I really hope Batman In Brave And The Bold Bronze Age Omnibus 3 will not be cancelled again and will actually see its release in January 2021!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by shaboo View Post
    I really hope Batman In Brave And The Bold Bronze Age Omnibus 3 will not be cancelled again and will actually see its release in January 2021!
    Same here!