View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Just picked up both HC's of Jurgen's original Booster Gold series. I passed on the first book because I was certain it would be orphaned, but I'm happy that today's release proved me wrong!
    These are standard trim, correct?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by ER Prest View Post
    I don’t have these in my hands yet but yes they are standard trim and not oversized

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Nab432 View Post
    I don’t have these in my hands yet but yes they are standard trim and not oversized
    And correct.

Now that they actually completed the series, I'm glad they went with two $40 hardcovers ($23 after discounts) as opposed to one $100 omnibus. Saved me some money on material that I already own in floppies, and while I enjoyed it, it's not exactly earthshattering or deserving of premium treatment.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Correct.

And correct.

Now that they actually completed the series, I'm glad they went with two $40 hardcovers ($23 after discounts) as opposed to one $100 omnibus. Saved me some money on material that I already own in floppies, and while I enjoyed it, it's not exactly earthshattering or deserving of premium treatment.
    Thanks - I'll hold off and hope for paperback versions of them

What happened to the Dini Batman omnibus? I haven't seen it on IST.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsay Snow View Post
    What happened to the Dini Batman omnibus? I haven't seen it on IST.
    Will be out on IST 9/22. I’m actually rethinking getting that. It skips over any non-Dini issues which sucks. Also, if you’re reading Batman chronologically you’ll have to be skipping between the Dini omni, Batman by Morrison omni, Final Crisis omni and a couple of trades/hardcovers in between. It’s a bit of a mess now that I think about it. Might be better to collect what’s in the Dini omni separately so it can all be read in order more easily and because there are issues you would get that aren’t in the Omni.

Quote Originally Posted by Nab432 View Post
    Will be out on IST 9/22. I’m actually rethinking getting that. It skips over any non-Dini issues which sucks. Also, if you’re reading Batman chronologically you’ll have to be skipping between the Dini omni, Batman by Morrison omni, Final Crisis omni and a couple of trades/hardcovers in between. It’s a bit of a mess now that I think about it. Might be better to collect what’s in the Dini omni separately so it can all be read in order more easily and because there are issues you would get that aren’t in the Omni.
    I have the TPBs which contain all the issues (Dini or not), so this ode to Dini Batman omnibus doesn't bother me. I'll enjoy having the majority of his work on Bats in one book.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsay Snow View Post
    I have the TPBs which contain all the issues (Dini or not), so this ode to Dini Batman omnibus doesn't bother me. I'll enjoy having the majority of his work on Bats in one book.
    Cool then what I said won’t apply in your case. But for people like me who don’t have the trades and other books that should be read in order, the Dini omni isn’t totally ideal for the reasons mentioned. I might still get it because of having the Dustin Nguyen art in oversize format. Looks great.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    Any opinions on Giffens 5-Years Later LoSH stuff? Tempted by he Omni...
    I am of two minds, the Legion of Super Heroes is one of my three favorite franchises in DC, along with Green Lantern and Justice Society. This isn't my favorite Legion story, it goes so against what the Legion "is" in my opinion. It was dark dirty dingy kind of depressing. However it was such a dense, really packed in read. It required a previous knowledge of the Legion but it was a extremely enjoyable. I compare it to like a British drama of which while sometimes I would complain that a "season" only lasts like 8 episodes as opposed to the US 22 episodes. However I always realize that two episodes into the show I have gotten more relevant content than I usually get in 10 episodes of even a good US drama, all thriller no filler and there is a lot of thriller. However if you are a longtime Legion lover all that you loved about them previously there is little of that to be found in this more adult Legion tell. I look back fondly on my youth as bright sunny when I was idealistic, dreams were limitless, and now realize I have become more conservative and cynical. That is what Giffen and the Bierbaums did to the Legion but part of my didn't want to see the Legion that way (who wants tales of a grown up slacker Bart Simpson) but that doesn't change the fact that it is a very well crafted piece of comic book writing.

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    I am of two minds, the Legion of Super Heroes is one of my three favorite franchises in DC, along with Green Lantern and Justice Society. This isn't my favorite Legion story, it goes so against what the Legion "is" in my opinion. It was dark dirty dingy kind of depressing. However it was such a dense, really packed in read. It required a previous knowledge of the Legion but it was a extremely enjoyable. I compare it to like a British drama of which while sometimes I would complain that a "season" only lasts like 8 episodes as opposed to the US 22 episodes. However I always realize that two episodes into the show I have gotten more relevant content than I usually get in 10 episodes of even a good US drama, all thriller no filler and there is a lot of thriller. However if you are a longtime Legion lover all that you loved about them previously there is little of that to be found in this more adult Legion tell. I look back fondly on my youth as bright sunny when I was idealistic, dreams were limitless, and now realize I have become more conservative and cynical. That is what Giffen and the Bierbaums did to the Legion but part of my didn't want to see the Legion that way (who wants tales of a grown up slacker Bart Simpson) but that doesn't change the fact that it is a very well crafted piece of comic book writing.
    Well said! My two DC faves are also GL and JSA (both from Johns (and Goyer)). I plan on getting this, as I really want to get into LOSH and Dc's collections dept. doesn't want me to.
    I mean the Great Darkness Saga, if that is supposed to be THE LOSH story arc, well, the DLX is OOP for years, and so is its followup OHC the Curse.

They continued from the Archives with the Superboy + Legion books, but the Archives that are past the 3rd SA omni (10, 11, 12) are ridiculously priced.
    I'm hoping so long as DC doesn't just collapse under its own weight, that they keep the omnibuses going, start up a Bronze Age vol 1, onwards, that will eventually cover the Darkness Saga era.

I've never read 5YL, I have heard from others like you said, it's more adult and gritty (was this around the Dark Knight era where suddenly everything was gritty and dark?) - so it's 100% different from the super silly Silver Age stuff at the beginning, which was geared towards a 7 year old it felt like. I think my sweet spot would be in the bronze age era, but like I said, not much is collected, so I'll just get what I can and read it, which means I'll be getting this 5YL omni and check it out. I'm sure it'll be a huge brick of an omni, like DC loves to make.
    "Boomerang arrow, Kate... It comes back to you in the end. Boomerang. Respect it." - Clint
    "Why the hell do you need an arrow that comes back to you after you shoot it, Clint?" - Kate
    "Because... Boomerangs." - Clint.

Thanks - I'll hold off and hope for paperback versions of them
    DC seems to have stopped publishing paperback editions of these standard sized hardcover collections of classic material. For example, there are no signs of paperback versions of WW by John Byrne, Mike Barr's Batman and the Outsiders (the old series), or the Superboy and Legion of Super-Heroes collections. And those hardcover collections were all completed at least a year ago. It's two years in the case of Superboy & LOSH.

The only hardcovers I've seen being reissued as paperbacks are for current or recent series, or big name titles (eg Morrison's Arkham Asylum).

Quote Originally Posted by Johnatellodi View Post
    Any preview or word on the reprint of "Absolute: Dark Knight"? The original build didn't feel quite up to the quality of current Absolute editions and the dust jacket was a bit of a pain. I'm hoping they've made some improvements.
    Yea, I'd also like to know. Although I sold my original print many years ago, I never noticed any issue, but the Absolute build quality seems hit or miss.

Also is it just a new printing? Nothing new? I kinda wish they would have just done Returns on it's own, or even two hardcovers in the one slipcase.

Correct.

And correct.

I had no idea they released these! The set is a must have for me.

All-New Member

According to Amazon UK, Batman GA omnibus vol 8 has been pushed back to 29 September.

Mighty Member

CGN is already out of stock on the Green Arrow omnibus? Wha?
    Blue text denotes sarcasm