View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Mitch Gerads has posted some pictures of the Mister Miracle Deluxe Edition (due out 6th October).

Here's one showing off the cover and spine design. There are more on Twitter - https://twitter.com/MitchGerads/stat...27261676122112

Is this Oversized?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post
    Is this Oversized?
    Yes, if DC brands something as a “Deluxe Edition” it means it is oversized.

If anyone's interested, here's the final cover for the first Fable Compendium, due to be released next month.

Spectacular Member Lake Nowhere's Avatar

Just received my Man of Steel hardcover and while I'm happy to have an upgrade from the paperbacks, it blows my mind that this isn't an omnibus. I can't imagine a more in-demand DC omnibus than Byrne's Superman run.

DC's collections department has no idea what they're doing. Byrne's run, the Triangle Years, Loeb/Kelly's stuff-- it should all be in omnibus form. It's a miracle the Exile Omnibus exists. Did it sell that poorly?
    Last edited by Lake Nowhere; 09-11-2020 at 07:46 AM.

Spectacular Member Lake Nowhere's Avatar

Boy I wish I enjoyed Tom king's writing, because the artwork in his books is always top-notch.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Does anyone else note that the Spectre Omni feels considerably lighter than omnis of comparable thickness.
    Is it the paper? I notice it is not glossy and shiny but more like an upgraded type of newspaper print.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lake Nowhere View Post
    Just received my Man of Steel hardcover and while I'm happy to have an upgrade from the paperbacks, it blows my mind that this isn't an omnibus. I can't imagine a more in-demand DC omnibus than Byrne's Superman run.

DC's collections department has no idea what they're doing. Byrne's run, the Triangle Years, Loeb/Kelly's stuff-- it should all be in omnibus form. It's a miracle the Exile Omnibus exists. Did it sell that poorly?
    I feel like the Exile omni was DC testing the waters for the demand for Superman material of that era. However, you'd think they'd test those waters with a Byrne omni and go forward from there. Then again it's DC, so very little the collections dept. does makes any sense.

I'd love them to close the gap between Exile and Death and Return, but that's easily 3 more (large!) books worth of material.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Does anyone else note that the Spectre Omni feels considerably lighter than omnis of comparable thickness.
    Is it the paper? I notice it is not glossy and shiny but more like an upgraded type of newspaper print.
    I'd guess it's the paper as well. If you compare two modern floppies from before and after they changed the paper, the newest issue is also going to be thicker, but feel lighter. Personally I like the new matte paper much more than the flimsier glossy paper.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Incredible Member

Boy I wish I enjoyed Tom king's writing, because the artwork in his books is always top-notch.
    That's my feeling with Scott Snyder. Tom King is hit or miss for me. The writing in Mister Miracle fell apart for me, so I agree there.

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    I feel like the Exile omni was DC testing the waters for the demand for Superman material of that era. However, you'd think they'd test those waters with a Byrne omni and go forward from there. Then again it's DC, so very little the collections dept. does makes any sense.

I'd love them to close the gap between Exile and Death and Return, but that's easily 3 more (large!) books worth of material.
    Don't forget that DC solicited a Superman by Byrne Omni last year but they cancelled it right around the time final orders were due. Either they figured there wasn't sufficient interest for that format, or there was so much interest they could increase profits by releasing the material in another format first.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    If anyone's interested, here's the final cover for the first Fable Compendium, due to be released next month.

Oooh. Got a link for this? Love me some Fables.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I think it’s very possible DC would publish an oversized Byrne Omnibus later. I can’t believe I didn’t see an Absolute 4th World coming.

Are the stories in the various 80th anniversary hardcover s different from the 75 year books? Is there any overlap?

All-New Member

Regarding the Man of Steel omni, I read somewhere that the real reason might be that the material is not digitally restored yet and it will look bad in an over sized format.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post
    Are the stories in the various 80th anniversary hardcover s different from the 75 year books? Is there any overlap?
    In general, DC did a good job here. There are overlaps, but they are small, usually only four or five stories. The two Joker releases have an overlap of seven stories (140 pages), but considering that these books have 400+ pages, even this is still acceptable. Here's a list of all overlaps:

Superman - A Celebration Of 75 Years
    Action Comics: 80 Years Of Superman (The Deluxe Edition)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    Action Comics #1: "Superman, Champion Of The Oppressed" (June 1938)
    Action Comics #2: "Superman - Revolution In San Monte (Part II Of II)" (July 1938)
    Action Comics #242: "Superman - The Super-Duel In Space" (July 1958)
    Action Comics (Vol. 2) #0: "The Boy Who Stole Superman's Cape" (November 2012)

Batman - A Celebration Of 75 Years
    Detective Comics: 80 Years Of Batman (The Deluxe Edition)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Detective Comics #27: "The Bat-Man - The Case Of The Chemical Syndicate" (May 1939)
    Detective Comics #327: "Batman - The Mystery Of The Menacing Mask!" (May 1964)
    Detective Comics #359: "Batman - The Million Dollar Debut Of Batgirl!" (January 1967)
    Detective Comics #474 (December 1977)
    Detective Comics (Vol. 2) #27: "The Case Of The Chemical Syndicate" (March 2014)

The Joker - A Celebration Of 75 Years
    The Joker: 80 Years Of The Clown Prince Of Crime (The Deluxe Edition)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Batman #1: "The Joker" (June 1940)
    Detective Comics #168: "Batman - The Man Behind The Red Hood!" (February 1951)
    Batman #251 (September 1973)
    Detective Comics #475 (February 1978)
    Detective Comics #476 (April 1978)
    Detective Comics #826 (February 2007)
    Detective Comics (Vol. 2) #1 (November 2011)

The Flash - A Celebration Of 75 Years
    The Flash: 80 Years Of The Fastest Man Alive (The Deluxe Edition)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Flash Comics #1: "The Flash - Origin Of The Flash" (January 1940)
    Showcase #4: "Mystery Of The Human Thunderbolt!" (October 1956)
    The Flash #110: "Meet Kid Flash!" (January 1960)
    The Flash #123 (September 1961)
    The Flash #275 (July 1979)

Green Lantern - A Celebration Of 75 Years
    Green Lantern: 80 Years Of The Emerald Knight (The Deluxe Edition)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    All-American Comics #16: "The Origin Of Green Lantern" (July 1940)
    Green Lantern (Vol. 2) #59 (March 1968)
    Green Lantern (Vol. 2) #87: "Beware My Power!" (December 1971)
    Green Lantern (Vol. 3) #50 (March 1994)
    Green Lantern Secret Files And Origins 2005: "Flight" (June 2005)