View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Spectacular Member Lake Nowhere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shaboo View Post
    In general, DC did a good job here. There are overlaps, but they are small, usually only four or five stories. The two Joker releases have an overlap of seven stories (140 pages), but considering that these books have 400+ pages, even this is still acceptable. Here's a list of all overlaps:

Superman - A Celebration Of 75 Years
    Action Comics: 80 Years Of Superman (The Deluxe Edition)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    Action Comics #1: "Superman, Champion Of The Oppressed" (June 1938)
    Action Comics #2: "Superman - Revolution In San Monte (Part II Of II)" (July 1938)
    Action Comics #242: "Superman - The Super-Duel In Space" (July 1958)
    Action Comics (Vol. 2) #0: "The Boy Who Stole Superman's Cape" (November 2012)

Batman - A Celebration Of 75 Years
    Detective Comics: 80 Years Of Batman (The Deluxe Edition)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Detective Comics #27: "The Bat-Man - The Case Of The Chemical Syndicate" (May 1939)
    Detective Comics #327: "Batman - The Mystery Of The Menacing Mask!" (May 1964)
    Detective Comics #359: "Batman - The Million Dollar Debut Of Batgirl!" (January 1967)
    Detective Comics #474 (December 1977)
    Detective Comics (Vol. 2) #27: "The Case Of The Chemical Syndicate" (March 2014)

The Joker - A Celebration Of 75 Years
    The Joker: 80 Years Of The Clown Prince Of Crime (The Deluxe Edition)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Batman #1: "The Joker" (June 1940)
    Detective Comics #168: "Batman - The Man Behind The Red Hood!" (February 1951)
    Batman #251 (September 1973)
    Detective Comics #475 (February 1978)
    Detective Comics #476 (April 1978)
    Detective Comics #826 (February 2007)
    Detective Comics (Vol. 2) #1 (November 2011)

The Flash - A Celebration Of 75 Years
    The Flash: 80 Years Of The Fastest Man Alive (The Deluxe Edition)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Flash Comics #1: "The Flash - Origin Of The Flash" (January 1940)
    Showcase #4: "Mystery Of The Human Thunderbolt!" (October 1956)
    The Flash #110: "Meet Kid Flash!" (January 1960)
    The Flash #123 (September 1961)
    The Flash #275 (July 1979)

Green Lantern - A Celebration Of 75 Years
    Green Lantern: 80 Years Of The Emerald Knight (The Deluxe Edition)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    All-American Comics #16: "The Origin Of Green Lantern" (July 1940)
    Green Lantern (Vol. 2) #59 (March 1968)
    Green Lantern (Vol. 2) #87: "Beware My Power!" (December 1971)
    Green Lantern (Vol. 3) #50 (March 1994)
    Green Lantern Secret Files And Origins 2005: "Flight" (June 2005)
    Thanks for breaking this down! I thought the recent 80th anniversary deluxe for Green Lantern was kind of insultingly slim compared to the other character's volumes.

Quote Originally Posted by Lake Nowhere View Post
    Boy I wish I enjoyed Tom king's writing, because the artwork in his books is always top-notch.
    Underrated comment right here.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lake Nowhere View Post
    Thanks for breaking this down! I thought the recent 80th anniversary deluxe for Green Lantern was kind of insultingly slim compared to the other character's volumes.
    Hm, Green Lantern page count was 400+, just like the the other character's volumes. Why do you find this insultingly slim?

The absolutely worst 80th Anniversary release was Bat & Cat - just standard size (no Deluxe), 1/2 the size of the other books (260 pages), but $10 more expensive. A total rip-off.

Spectacular Member Lake Nowhere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shaboo View Post
    Hm, Green Lantern page count was 400+, just like the the other character's volumes. Why do you find this insultingly slim?

The absolutely worst 80th Anniversary release was Bat & Cat - just standard size (no Deluxe), 1/2 the size of the other books (260 pages), but $10 more expensive. A total rip-off.
    You know, now that I look again I guess it's at least as long as the Flash deluxe. Somehow the Joker, Batman, and Superman collections look much thicker next to them on the shelf. I was thrilled to see GL 100 in there, but surprised there wasn't much more content from John's run.
    Last edited by Lake Nowhere; 09-12-2020 at 04:19 PM.

Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

DC is set to release a trade of detective themed stories from its library, set to be released around 2021.

Batman may be the World's Greatest Detective, but he's hardly the only sleuth in the DC Universe. This new title collects key adventures starring Lois Lane, the Question, the Sandman, Detective Chimp, Slam Bradley, and everyone's favorite Caped Crusader, Batman.

Batman may be the World's Greatest Detective, but he's hardly the only sleuth in the DC Universe. This new title collects key adventures starring Lois Lane, the Question, Slam Bradley, Detective Chimp, and everyone's favorite Caped Crusader, Batman.

These tales span DC's history, from 1937 to today, and even include a special appearance by the granddaddy of all detectives, Sherlock Holmes.

Collects Adventure Comics #51, Batman #441, Detective Comics #2, #329, and #572, Lois Lane #1-2, Secret Origins #40, and The Question #8.
    https://www.amazon.com/Greatest-Dete...language=en_US

I hope there will be more volumes of this line to give spotlight on more detective stories within the DC Universe, including stories featuring Clark Kent's investigative journalism cases.
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

Thanks shaboo, u went above and beyond!

Now I’m very near on the edge if I want to get these!

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Was Batman Golden Age volume 8 Omni received by IST? I don't recall seeing it there. It is not available now and I doubt it sold out from their stock.
    I notice it is now available on Amazon.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

All-New Member

Here in the UK, it’s release has been delayed until the 29th on Amazon UK (Stock issues apparently)

Incredible Member Graphic Autist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Was Batman Golden Age volume 8 Omni received by IST? I don't recall seeing it there. It is not available now and I doubt it sold out from their stock.
    I notice it is now available on Amazon.
    Won't be on sale for another half hour or so. Tuesdays at 3PM EST are when the new books show..

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

^^^
    Just saw that. Order placed. Theoretically only one more Golden Age Batman volume to go is what folks are saying!!
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

So the upcoming Dini Batman omnibus - it looks like it's a choppy collection of the Streets of Gotham series. Are the issues it skips/the ones Dini didn't write not important? Or will it be a jumbled read? Same question for the Tec issues it skips. Anybody have experience with wither series?

Quote Originally Posted by ER Prest View Post
    So the upcoming Dini Batman omnibus - it looks like it's a choppy collection of the Streets of Gotham series. Are the issues it skips/the ones Dini didn't write not important? Or will it be a jumbled read? Same question for the Tec issues it skips. Anybody have experience with wither series?
    The non-Dini issues of Streets are separate stories and do not in any way connect to Dini’s issues, so leaving them out won’t hurt the reading experience at all. Those issues were basically fill-ins because, for whatever reason, Dini didn’t seem able to hit deadlines at the time (or maybe DC was double-shipping Detective randomly? I don’t remember). Same situation with the Detective issues - they were just standalone fill-in stories, with the exception of #851 which was a Last Rites tie-in, then #852 was part of what was ultimately a setup story for Streets. Though only including certain parts of the Resurrection of Ra’s Al Ghul crossover may not be the most coherent read, it was a terrible story so not having to read the whole thing is probably a mercy.
    Last edited by Dick Grayson; 09-15-2020 at 06:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Grayson View Post
    The non-Dini issues of Streets are separate stories and do not in any way connect to Dini’s issues, so leaving them out won’t hurt the reading experience at all. Those issues were basically fill-ins because, for whatever reason, Dini didn’t seem able to hit deadlines at the time (or maybe DC was double-shipping Detective randomly? I don’t remember). Same situation with the Detective issues - they were just standalone fill-in stories, with the exception of #851 which was a Last Rites tie-in, then #852 was part of what was ultimately a setup story for Streets. Though only including certain parts of the Resurrection of Ra’s Al Ghul crossover may not be the most coherent read, it was a terrible story so not having to read the whole thing is probably a mercy.
    Thanks, good to know. I wonder if they'll have a fill in page or two for the Ra's storyline like in the Morrison omnibus.

Unrelated: did anyone see Joker Killer Smile on IST (or elsewhere) yesterday? I didn't see it at all.

Unrelated pt2: I asked last week but it probably got lost in the thread. We had Dark Knight Golden Child get a deluxe released this week, but have we ever gotten DK3 in a proper deluxe?

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

BATGIRL RETURNS OMNIBUS
    written by GAIL SIMONE and others
    art by ARDIAN SYAF, ED BENES, DANIEL SAMPERE, FERNANDO PASARIN, and others
    cover by ADAM HUGHES
    RESOLICIT | ON SALE 3/2/21
    $99.99 US | 960 PAGES | 7.0625" x 10.875" | FC
    ISBN: 978-1-77950-719-8
    At last, DC collects the entire run of Batgirl adventures from the New 52 written by best-selling author Gail Simone! In these stories, Barbara Gordon has regained the ability to walk—but as a crime-fighter she must prove herself to Batman and the other heroes of Gotham City all over again! Along the way, she’ll have to face the threat of the ruthless vigilante known as Knightfall, stop her own brother, James Gordon Jr., from wreaking havoc on the city as the Joker-inspired Killer Clown, and much more. Collects Batgirl #0-34, Batgirl Annual #1 and 2, Batgirl: Futures End #1, and more!

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

DC COMICS: THE ART OF LEE BERMEJO OHC
    written by BRIAN AZZARELLO and others
    art and new cover by LEE BERMEJO
    ON SALE 1/26/21
    $49.99 US | 336 PAGES | 7.0625" x 10.875" | FC
    ISBN: 978-1-77950-760-0
    DC Comics: The Art of Lee Bermejo collects the boldest and most iconic work of celebrated comics artist Lee Bermejo! Known for his incredible and distinctive work on the Joker and Lex Luthor: Man of Steel collaborations with writer Brian Azzarello, Before Watchmen: Rorschach, a long list of powerfully compelling covers, and more, Lee Bermejo’s work speaks for itself! This volume is a beautiful and brilliant showcase of Bermejo’s art and features commentary on some of his favorite titles, essays from fellow comics professional and friends, behind-the-scenes artwork, and an extensive gallery of some of his finest covers.