View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

^ ^ ^

Yeah there's really no comfortable way to read books that big. I'm thinking of investing in a church style podium for my living room. Sucks to stand, and I'll look like some kind of nerdy preacher, but at least my arms/neck/back won't be in pain... *shrug*
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
    Didn't know vol 2 sold out so quick. I didn't jump on it immediately upon release, but pretty soon after.

And question on the newly released Absolute Planetary... I have the Omnibus, but I'm super tempted by the absolute, as that too has the whole run plus extras, and it's even bigger... too big?
    The new absolute has a glued binding. I'd avoid it and stick to the Omnibus if I were you. See the 6:25 mark here:

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Yeah, that was annoying. But hey, it's DC - we don't really know the contents of anything until it's actually in our hands!

Not to sound like a hater, but save your money. As suspected, very few elements of Future State are carrying onward and into the DCU proper. If that's something that's important to you, maybe check out whatever collection includes the Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, and Teen Titans stuff.

Just my 2 cents. Others seem to find Future State amazing.
    I appreciate the honest answer! Honestly I'm tired of the comics constantly being a "shake the status Q" instead of telling a good story. Writers are constantly being swapped out or leaving, and I miss the consistency of a character and their arc. I find my self more in more in love with older runs and I wonder where the magic went.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    The new absolute has a glued binding. I'd avoid it and stick to the Omnibus if I were you. See the 6:25 mark here:
    I didn't buy this as I have the original Absolutes, but I skimmed this video as I was curious(but didn't watch/listen to it).

It looks like there are signatures, which would make is sewn binding, not glued. But I also can't really tell if they are signatures or not, or simply the color bleed from the issues having similar backgrounds.

Quote Originally Posted by JAG2045 View Post
    My copy of Green Lantern: Circle of Fire just arrived and contains:

Green Lantern 129-136
    Green Lantern/Adam Strange 1
    Green Lantern/Atom 1
    Green Lantern/Firestorm 1
    Green Lantern/Green Lantern 1
    Green Lantern/Power Girl 1
    Green Lantern: Circle of Fire 1-2

Extras - Profile page of "Circle of Green Lanterns" from Green Lantern Secret Files 3

Posted pics here:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/marv....html#p1314736

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/marv....html#p1314737
    I’ve been collecting GL continuously since the 90s but for reasons that escape me I skipped the Circle of Fire stuff back when it was released and never went back to pick it up. So this collection was my first time reading it — and on a scale of “The JSA Returns!” (excellent) and “World Without Grownups” (awful) I thought this landed squarely in the middle. The early Brian K Vaughn work was fun. The story was breezy and light. Nothing grand, but certainly not a bad read. I liked that the JLA was taken off the table and we got team-ups with the B-side Leaguers (Atom, Firestorm, etc).

Of course, the Winick-written GL #129-136 is strong. I’ve read his run several times through the years and it never disappoints. I hope we get the additional trades to finish out his GL work... and that this doesn’t become the orphaned twin of the two Marz Kyle Rayner volumes.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Adset View Post
    Of course, the Winick-written GL #129-136 is strong. I’ve read his run several times through the years and it never disappoints. I hope we get the additional trades to finish out his GL work... and that this doesn’t become the orphaned twin of the two Marz Kyle Rayner volumes.
    I hate to be a pessimist, but I'm not holding my breath.

Those bums at DC canceled Marz' Vol. 3 like the week before it was supposed to be released. If anything, I would be less surprised to see them reprint Marz first two volumes, recut into a chunkier book (like "Circle of Fire"), and my dumb ass will buy them again in the hopes that they continue the line this time... *eyeroll*
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    I'm still trying to find Vol. 2! They reprinted Vol. 1 in pretty short order, so I'm hoping for the same.
    Me too. Held on hoping Amazon would fulfil my cheap pre-order. Should have just grabbed it from elsewhere, it's not like I wouldn't have been able to re-sell a second copy.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Man, I can't stop looking at my Justice League of America by Brad Meltzer hardcover. It's so beautiful. Also one of my favorite runs.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

ABSOLUTE SWAMP THING BY ALAN MOORE VOL. 3
    written by ALAN MOORE
    art by RICK VEITCH, ALFREDO ALCALA, JOHN TOTLEBEN, and others
    cover by JOHN TOTLEBEN
    ON SALE 10/26/21
    $99.99 US | $130.99 CAN | 400 PAGES | FC
    8.25" x 12.5"
    DC BLACK LABEL | AGES 17+
    Hardcover
    ISBN: 978-1-77951-219-2
    In this new Absolute edition, Swamp Thing returns from Hell only to learn that Abby has fled Gotham City, where he runs afoul of Batman, Lex Luthor, and the Gotham City Police Department. Then, Swamp Thing travels across the galaxy, where his consciousness has been hurled. Trying to find his way back to Earth, he stops over on Thanagar, home of Hawkman; Rann, home of Adam Strange; and encounters the Green Lantern of a world of sentient plants.
    Collects Swamp Thing #51–64 and DC Comics Presents #85.

FOURTH WORLD BY JOHN BYRNE OMNIBUS
    written by JOHN BYRNE
    art by JOHN BYRNE, WALTER SIMONSON, RON WAGNER, and others
    cover by WALTER SIMONSON
    ON SALE 7/13/21
    $75.00 US | $99.00 CAN | 768 PAGES | FC | DC
    Hardcover
    7.0625" x 10.875"
    ISBN: 978-1-77951-017-4
    Legendary writer/artist John Byrne brought his unique vision to New Genesis and Apokolips in the 1990s—starting with the destruction of the twin worlds! Only Metron of the New Gods survives to journey to Earth to try to save the New Gods’ future! But in the process, Metron discovers his own part in their destruction! Along the way, the Forever People and Lightray return as the pieces begin falling into place for Metron, but the answers he seeks lie beyond the impenetrable Source Wall.
    Then, New Genesis and Apokolips are reborn as a single planet—and Highfather is to blame! With his son, Orion, and Takion, living avatar of the Source, Highfather sets his sights on the ultimate confrontation with Darkseid, master of Apokolips! And in the miniseries Genesis, Earth’s heroes are losing their powers—thanks to the Godwave, a force that created gods and planets across the galaxy eons ago.
    Collects New Gods #12-15 (1997), Jack Kirby’s Fourth World #1-20, and Genesis #1-4.

JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA: THE BRONZE AGE OMNIBUS VOL. 3
    written by GERRY CONWAY, PAUL LEVITZ, MARTIN PASKO, and STEVE ENGLEHART
    art by DICK DILLIN, GEORGE TUSKA, and others
    cover by KARL KERSCHL
    ON SALE 7/6/21
    $125.00 US | $163.00 CAN | 1,192 PAGES | FC | DC
    Hardcover
    7.0625" x 10.875"
    ISBN: 978-1-77951-016-7
    The JLA moves into the second half of the ’70s with tales guest-starring the Justice Society of America, the Legion of Super-Heroes, and heroes from the long-gone past including Jonah Hex, the Viking Prince, Enemy Ace, and more. Plus, the League’s mascot, Snapper Carr, turns against the team, the Phantom Stranger helps the team battle a returning pantheon of ancient gods, the Martian Manhunter faces Despero for the lives of the League, and the Secret Society of Super-Villains swap bodies with the World’s Greatest Superheroes. Plus, Black Lightning is invited to join the JLA—but turns down the invitation for mysterious reasons.
    Collects Justice League of America #147-182, Super-Team Family #11-14, DC Special #27, DC Special Series #6, Secret Society of Super-Villains #15, DC Comics Presents #17, and pages from Amazing World of DC comics #14.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA: THE BRONZE AGE OMNIBUS VOL. 3
    written by GERRY CONWAY, PAUL LEVITZ, MARTIN PASKO, and STEVE ENGLEHART
    art by DICK DILLIN, GEORGE TUSKA, and others
    cover by KARL KERSCHL
    ON SALE 7/6/21
    $125.00 US | $163.00 CAN | 1,192 PAGES | FC | DC
    Hardcover
    7.0625" x 10.875"
    ISBN: 978-1-77951-016-7
    The JLA moves into the second half of the ’70s with tales guest-starring the Justice Society of America, the Legion of Super-Heroes, and heroes from the long-gone past including Jonah Hex, the Viking Prince, Enemy Ace, and more. Plus, the League’s mascot, Snapper Carr, turns against the team, the Phantom Stranger helps the team battle a returning pantheon of ancient gods, the Martian Manhunter faces Despero for the lives of the League, and the Secret Society of Super-Villains swap bodies with the World’s Greatest Superheroes. Plus, Black Lightning is invited to join the JLA—but turns down the invitation for mysterious reasons.
    Collects Justice League of America #147-182, Super-Team Family #11-14, DC Special #27, DC Special Series #6, Secret Society of Super-Villains #15, DC Comics Presents #17, and pages from Amazing World of DC comics #14.

I was just about to ask about this AGAIN, I knew DC had to put this one out no matter how much disarray they are in now.

Incredible Member

Thoughts on the recent Manhunter HC (Goodwin), and the Tynion 'Tec omni?

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    ABSOLUTE SWAMP THING BY ALAN MOORE VOL. 3
    written by ALAN MOORE
    art by RICK VEITCH, ALFREDO ALCALA, JOHN TOTLEBEN, and others

Collects Swamp Thing #51–64 and DC Comics Presents #85.
    Great they included Pres #85, but it didn't "occur" in or around Swamp Thing #51-64, it was published a bit before then. And that does matter, because there was no Vertigo label (Vertigo didn't exist!) separating the "main" Swampy issues from Pres #85. So I see a bad misplacement, no attempt to place it correctly even. And I do not understand why.

But I saw this coming long ago hence I custom bound Moore's run, so I could put #85 where it belongs.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 02-18-2021 at 05:15 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Cheers Raffi.