View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1386 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 38688612861336137613821383138413851386138713881389139013961436 ... LastLast
Results 20,776 to 20,790 of 21672

Quote Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
    I have (and enjoyed) Batman by Snyder omni #1... how much do I want the upcoming 2nd volume - is it better, worse or the same as the first volume, is it essential, or skipable?
    I think most people who’ve read this series would agree #1-33 are better than #34-52.

#34-52 have the Superheavy arc, which, if I remember correctly, was not well-liked at the time.
    "It's not my Kate." - Greg Rucka

Fantastic Member

Default Batman Hush Trade question.

For anyone who has purchased this trade, as I’m thinking about doing, what’s the best version of the trade to grab, the absolute? I am interested in the hardcover but I have seen softcovers that are listed as well but don’t divulge the contents, and they are waaaaay cheaper. These are cover dates of 2009. Are these the entire story by Loeb/Lee or are there multiple volumes. I am not very tech savvy so I don’t know how to post pictures of what I’m describing. I had the original floppies back when, and would think the trades would be somewhat thicker. What am I missing? But I’m also open to suggestions on editions. The Azzarello/Lee run too for Superman. Thanks.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Twice-named View Post
    I think most people who’ve read this series would agree #1-33 are better than #34-52.

#34-52 have the Superheavy arc, which, if I remember correctly, was not well-liked at the time.
    Is Vol 2 worth getting at all?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning63 View Post
    Is Vol 2 worth getting at all?
    If you liked V1, I think you'll like V2. It's lesser, but more in a "8 vs 6 rating" than a "8 vs 1 rating" way. Endgame is enjoyable, and Superheavy is at least interesting as a replacement Batman story that's pretty different from Dick or Azrael taking over. Last Knight on Earth wasn't my favorite, but it's certainly wild and crazy in a way I appreciate
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

For me, there’s Court of Owls, and then everything else that made up Snyder’s run. So… if you liked Death of the Family and Zero Year in V1, you’ll probably enjoy V2. Nothing reaches the high of Snyder’s first year, but it’s all readable/enjoyable enough.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I feel like Greg Capullo was the reason I read that run after Court of Owls. It was really amazing how good the book always looked.

Torn on if I should grab Silver Age Wonder Woman omnibus have not read any, but enjoy other silver age books. For those that have read them how would rate that era?

For me personally I'd rate it last place in pre-crisis Wonder Woman behind Golden and Bronze age. Other than Marston I'm not sure Wonder Woman ever had another really great run ever, as much as I love her. Before buying an Omnibus blind why not read an issue or two online, they are pretty expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    For me personally I'd rate it last place in pre-crisis Wonder Woman behind Golden and Bronze age. Other than Marston I'm not sure Wonder Woman ever had another really great run ever, as much as I love her. Before buying an Omnibus blind why not read an issue or two online, they are pretty expensive.
    Not sure if you mean "ever" for just golden/bronze age, but if you mean "ever" for all time, then I'd say Perez, Jimenez, Simone and Azzarello all had great runs on WW.

Perez had great art for as long as he drew it, but the story was weak overall, I enjoyed Azzarello's run, but it wasn't really Wonder Woman to me. For me there is just Marston. If you want to count Azzarello as Wonder Woman and not a Zena inspired elseworlds it came the closest to great, I just can't see it as the classic Wonder Woman.

Just my opinion though, tastes differ.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Twice-named View Post
    I don't know anyone that really hates or dislikes it, it's just not anyone's favorite Snyder arc probably. It was a fun change of pace story IMHO. Mr. Bloom was my favorite part of it.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 11-04-2021 at 10:14 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
    Torn on if I should grab Silver Age Wonder Woman omnibus have not read any, but enjoy other silver age books. For those that have read them how would rate that era?
    I don't know anything about Silver or Bronze Age Wonder Woman, the Perez and Azzarello runs are the best I read, but if you are a Silver Age fan, I have to recommend the Arnold Drake and Bruno Premiani Doom Patrol. Along with the Silver Age Jim Shooter Legion of Superheroes, and almost any Superman, it's one of my favorite Silver Age DC books.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jely4me View Post
    For anyone who has purchased this trade, as I’m thinking about doing, what’s the best version of the trade to grab, the absolute? I am interested in the hardcover but I have seen softcovers that are listed as well but don’t divulge the contents, and they are waaaaay cheaper. These are cover dates of 2009. Are these the entire story by Loeb/Lee or are there multiple volumes. I am not very tech savvy so I don’t know how to post pictures of what I’m describing. I had the original floppies back when, and would think the trades would be somewhat thicker. What am I missing? But I’m also open to suggestions on editions. The Azzarello/Lee run too for Superman. Thanks.
    I'm typing this from work so I'm going by memory here is what I have:

Batman Hush vol. 1 and vo.2 (these were from 2004 and the first collected editions of the Hush storyline vol. 1 had #608-613 and vol. 2 had #614-619 and a 6-page insert originally included in Wizard Zero magazine, I think there sketches too) these were later released as two seperate paperbacnks.

Batman Absolute Edition (from 2011 collecting the entirety along with sketches and introductions)

Batman Hush (tpb from 2013)

Batman Hush Unwrapped (from 2011 a nice look into Jim Lee's pencils sans ink)

Batman Hush Noir (from 2015 the entire story in black and white)

Batman Hush 15th Anniversay (from 2017 yet another collected edition along with sketches)

yeah that's quite a lot, there have been new printings of the Absolute and Unwrapped but I won't bother with those, in 2019 another softcover version of Hush came that has Batman's face midwrapped in bandages but caution because there have been misprints of word ballloons missing.

As for the Azarello/Lee Superman run welllll maybe another fellow can post those.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    I don't know anything about Silver or Bronze Age Wonder Woman, the Perez and Azzarello runs are the best I read, but if you are a Silver Age fan, I have to recommend the Arnold Drake and Bruno Premiani Doom Patrol. Along with the Silver Age Jim Shooter Legion of Superheroes, and almost any Superman, it's one of my favorite Silver Age DC books.
    Love the silver age LOSH omnis along with Flash and World's Finest. Not super into WW but like the big runs Azz and Perez being favorites will have to find a couple issues and give them a shot to see if they click with me or not. I have read a little Superman from the silver age and loved it been waiting for omnibus for it forever. Can't wait till they move on to silver age Batman is coming soon also really hope end of next year we get Superman silver age omnibus. Have not read silver age Doom Patrol, but loved Morrison's run some great stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Jely4me View Post
    To expand upon what Mace Dolex said.....

Absolute Hush is the best version you can get, in terms of paper quality, page size, etc....But it's also the most expensive collection of the storyline (As absolute editions are wont to be). If you can get it for $60-$100 and want the best quality collection of Hush, go for it.

If not, it's probably best to go for the deluxe hardcover which came out in 2019. It's available on Amazon for around $30, whereas the trade paperback which came out in 2017 is around $22.