View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1418 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 4189181318136814081414141514161417141814191420142114221428 ... LastLast
Results 21,256 to 21,270 of 21671
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Count me in as one of the few who think the Legion franchise is strong enough to stand on it's own, without being chained to the Superman mythos.

#teamValor
    Then how come no author is capable of writing a series with some teeth? That lasts more than 20-30 issues? You’d think a rich cast of characters, unlimited sci-fi potential, the ability to create new villains of a cosmic scale, would be a slam dunk. You could even rotate characters, like the Avengers, Cosmic Boy, Lightning Lad and Saturn Girl could be the Big 3, and rotate others in and out, including them, for all kinds of adventures. And no, you don’t need Superboy. Those were good times, and some of my first stories in the early 70’s, but the Legion for me, hasn’t been good since DnA and Coipel. Oh well.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    Anybody read the Rachel Pollack Doom Patrol?
    Not yet, my copy is en route though and Timothycat over on MMW posted some pics

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/marv....html#p1462581

I really hope DC now put out Vol 3 (by Arcudi) and Vol 5 (by Keith Giffen) which only had TPB's of issues 1-14, collected to have the entire Doom Patrol!

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

Thanks for the reply!

The pictures look great from the link you sent.

I bought the Nancy Collins Swamp Thing as a blind buy and that book exceeded my expectations.

I hope this one is another hidden gem.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JAG2045 View Post
    Not yet, my copy is en route though and Timothycat over on MMW posted some pics

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/marv....html#p1462581

I really hope DC now put out Vol 3 (by Arcudi) and Vol 5 (by Keith Giffen) which only had TPB's of issues 1-14, collected to have the entire Doom Patrol!
    So vol.4 is the Byrne run?
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    So vol.4 is the Byrne run?
    Yes correct:

Doom Patrol vol 1 - Silver Age (complete in the Silver Age omnibus) & Bronze Age guest appearances when they had no title themselves (Doom Patrol Bronze Age Omnibus)

Doom Patrol vol 2 - Paul Kupperberg (issues 1-18), Grant Morrison (issues 19-63) and Rachel Pollack (issues 64-87) complete and collected in - The Bronze Age Omnibus, Grant Morrison Omnibus and Rachel Pollack omnibuses plus the Flex Mentallo Deluxe Edition)

Doom Patrol vol 3 - John Arcudi run - never been collected

Doom Patrol vol 4 - John Byrne run - collected in one omnibus

Doom Patrol vol 5 by Keith Giffen run had 2x TPBs released:

We Who Are About to Die - Doom Patrol Vol.5 #1–6
    Brotherhood - Doom Patrol Vol.5 #7–13
    However the remaining issues of #14-#22 remain uncollected

Doom Patrol vol 6 by Gerard Way is complete in the following 3x TPB's

Doom Patrol: Brick by Brick - Doom Patrol Vol. 6 #1–6
    Doom Patrol: Nada - Doom Patrol Vol. 6 #7–12
    Doom Patrol: Weight of the Worlds - Doom Patrol: Weight of the Worlds #1-7

The entire Way run will also be collected in a single Deluxe Edition in Feb 2023
    Last edited by JAG2045; 10-21-2022 at 04:10 AM.

Incredible Member

Near Mint Condition overview of Doom Patrol by Rachel Pollack Omnibus

I'd love to have Giffen's whole run collected.

Peace

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    Anybody read the Rachel Pollack Doom Patrol?
    I have, and would recommend it. Most people slam it simply for not being Morrison, but I think she did a pretty good job of emulating the tone, at least for the first couple of arcs. It goes downhill for me toward the end though, mostly because Ted McKeever's art is not my cup of tea.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    I'd love to have Giffen's whole run collected.

Peace
    Same. 22 issues is a bit much for a single chunky trade, and not enough for an omnibus.

I'd take two smaller trades, and cross my fingers that DC doesn't cancel the second volume.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Same. 22 issues is a bit much for a single chunky trade, and not enough for an omnibus.
    It is enough for an Omnibus. At least from Marvel, they have a few in the issue range. I feel there are a few SA Omnis nearly that small, w/o looking I'm thinking Suicide Squad SA. Perhaps the Supergirl SA?
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

I'd take two smaller trades, and cross my fingers that DC doesn't cancel the second volume.
    Was the John Byrne Doom Patrol collection any bigger? His series ran 18 issues and they included a couple of extras. I'm sure they could find some Giffen related work to fill in if needed.

Peace

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Was the John Byrne Doom Patrol collection any bigger? His series ran 18 issues and they included a couple of extras. I'm sure they could find some Giffen related work to fill in if needed.

Peace
    So the Byrne omnibus contained:

Doom Patrol (vol. 4) #1–18; JLA #94–99; Superman (vol. 2) #20; material from Secret Origins Annual (vol. 2) #1

Over on MMW user saidestroyer said the following here https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/marv....html#p1463257 about padding out a Giffen Doom Patrol omnibus:

There's also the 52 Aftermath miniseries (6 issues, written by Keith Giffen) which reads as a prelude to Giffen and Clark's run. This version of the DP was introduced in the pages of Johns' Teen Titans, so an excerpt of those issues would be great.

The first ten issues or so of the DP series had back up Metal Men stories by Giffen, DeMatteis and Maguire. They're unrelated to the story told in the Doom Patrol pages, but they'd make a nice addition to a Doom Patrol by Keith Giffen omnibus.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    It is enough for an Omnibus. At least from Marvel, they have a few in the issue range. I feel there are a few SA Omnis nearly that small, w/o looking I'm thinking Suicide Squad SA. Perhaps the Supergirl SA?
    The Byrne omni was 672 pages but DC have made ones with less for example:

Justice League The Darkseid War Saga - 512
    Batgirl of Burnside - 552
    Wonder Woman by George Perez vol 3 - 552
    Deathstroke - The New 52 - 560
    New Teen Titans vol 2 - 640
    Wonder Woman by George Perez vol 1 - 640
    Harley Quinn & The Gotham City Sirens - 648
    Batman by Grant Morrison Vol 1 - 672
    Batman by Grant Morrison Vol 3 - 672

So a 22 issue omnibus (with the possible added issues) is certainly feasible
    Last edited by JAG2045; 10-22-2022 at 04:04 AM.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I have, and would recommend it. Most people slam it simply for not being Morrison, but I think she did a pretty good job of emulating the tone, at least for the first couple of arcs. It goes downhill for me toward the end though, mostly because Ted McKeever's art is not my cup of tea.

The Morrison run was way better the second time I read it. The Silver Age was surprisingly good. I think the X-Men has higher highs back in the 60s but the art in 60s Doom Patrol is more consistently great, maybe the storytelling too?!? I have never read the other runs!

Incredible Member

A couple of recent runs, Zdarsky's Batman, Waids Worlds Finest and Ram Vs Detective all have (I think) their first trades scheduled for early next year, and all of them hardcovers. That's usually standard sized hardcovers right?
    Roughly how long after does the paperback versions come out?