View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1424 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 4249241324137414141420142114221423142414251426142714281434 ... LastLast
Results 21,346 to 21,360 of 21672
    Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

I would say that Jim Balent was great at the very beginning, especially when inked by Dick Giordano. As the years went by, his art just got sloppier and sloppier, to the extent that there was a rumor that DC fired Balent for having his girlfriend draw in his name.

My son's name is Damian so I actually love the character.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    I would say that Jim Balent was great at the very beginning, especially when inked by Dick Giordano. As the years went by, his art just got sloppier and sloppier, to the extent that there was a rumor that DC fired Balent for having his girlfriend draw in his name.
    None of that is true. Jim left DC to launch his own creator-owned series Tarot, Witch of the Black Rose, which is still going strong today and celebrates its 23rd anniversary next month. Jim is the definitive Catwoman artist and his series was the best. Jim’s art was consistently great throughout the entire six-year run. Fortunately I have all the back issues to read since DC has been incapable of crafting a proper Catwoman series in over twenty years. I just wish DC would finish collecting his series so I could own it in paperback format too.

Putting a bit more effort into my DC omnibus' after mostly buying Marvel titles last year. Tempted to upgrade my Flash Geoff Johns trades to the omnibus versions and then grab the Mark Said vol.1 as well.

I have to say I wasn't a fan of Jim Balent's artwork or his Catwoman series but I loved Brubaker's noir take on the character. I appreciated the redesign of her outfit, the repurposing of the character and the inclusion of characters like Slam Bradley.

Having said that (and trying to be on topic for the thread) is the Balent Catwoman series another of DC's forgotten reprint series? I seem to remember that they had started reprinting the series. Has it fallen away like so many others?
    Last edited by Babylon23; 01-02-2023 at 06:26 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon23 View Post
    I have to say I wasn't a fan of Jim Balent's artwork or his Catwoman series but I loved Brubaker's noir take on the character. I appreciated the redesign of her outfit, the repurposing of the character and the inclusion of characters like Slam Bradley.

Having said that (and trying to be on topic for the thread) is the Balent Catwoman series another of DC's forgotten reprint series? I seem to remember that they had started reprinting the series. Has it fallen away like so many others?
    Currently yes, DC released 2 TPB's of Catwoman by Balent (one in 2017 & one in 2019)

Catwoman by Jim Balent Book One Catwoman (vol. 2) #1–13 September 2017
    Catwoman by Jim Balent Book Two Catwoman (vol. 2) #14–24, #0; Catwoman Annual #2; Showcase '95 #4 March 2019

and there's been no news on a follow up to collect the remaining issues (Catwoman vol. 2 #25-77, #0, #1000000, Annual #2)

Hopefully they will release it in a couple of omni's now they have done the Brubaker run as an omnibus

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JAG2045 View Post
    Currently yes, DC released 2 TPB's of Catwoman by Balent (one in 2017 & one in 2019)

Catwoman by Jim Balent Book One Catwoman (vol. 2) #1–13 September 2017
    Catwoman by Jim Balent Book Two Catwoman (vol. 2) #14–24, #0; Catwoman Annual #2; Showcase '95 #4 March 2019

and there's been no news on a follow up to collect the remaining issues (Catwoman vol. 2 #25-77, #0, #1000000, Annual #2)

Hopefully they will release it in a couple of omni's now they have done the Brubaker run as an omnibus
    I would hope they they would include Jim’s story from 1999’s Batman 80-Page Giant#2 as well as the Elseworlds miniseries Catwoman: Guardian of Gotham and the Catwoman/Vampirella one-shot.

Annual #2 is collected in Book Two. Jim didn’t illustrate Annual #3 or #4.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KyleWayne View Post
    None of that is true. Jim left DC to launch his own creator-owned series Tarot, Witch of the Black Rose, which is still going strong today and celebrates its 23rd anniversary next month. Jim is the definitive Catwoman artist and his series was the best. Jim’s art was consistently great throughout the entire six-year run. Fortunately I have all the back issues to read since DC has been incapable of crafting a proper Catwoman series in over twenty years. I just wish DC would finish collecting his series so I could own it in paperback format too.
    Agree to disagree.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    Agree to disagree.
    He’s my favorite artist and Tarot looks great each month.

Sandman Mystery Theatre Compendium has been pushed back to 4/25/23.
    "It's not my Kate." - Greg Rucka

Splurged a bit with some remaining Christmas money and ordered some DC omnis. Few upgrades from my trades then some I've never owned:

The Flash by Geoff Johns Omnibus Vol.1
    The Flash by Geoff Johns Omnibus Vol.2
    The Flash by Geoff Johns Omnibus Vol.3
    Batgirl Returns Omnibus
    Justice League New 52 Omnibus Vol.2

For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I have the whole run of Sandman gobs from way back in the day with the newsprint quality paper. I was thinking this is a series I might want to upgrade. What’s generally considered the best way to read that now? Is it the absolute edition? (And yes, I did see the poll, lol)

Amazing Member

Default Which is the better event omnibus, Infinite Crisis or Final Crisis?

I am interested in both, but have to budget and can only get one at the moment. Any input is most appreciated. Thank you.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Demoslider View Post
    I am interested in both, but have to budget and can only get one at the moment. Any input is most appreciated. Thank you.
    Infinite Crisis is significantly more cohesive as an omnibus -everything flowed from the minis thru the main event. It's really the peak of mainline comic events IMHO. No huge continuity problems, no stories that just shoot out and don't come back to the main story, etc.

The Final Crisis issues by Morrison are fantastic, and separately I enjoyed Rucka's Question mini and Johns Legion mini, but they don't really flow together or even entirely make sense. Some of the other tie ins are ... less good

The only reason I can think of to get FC is that the IC Omni seems to be functionally an evergreen title. FC got a second print, but I don't know if it'll stay that way.
    Blue text denotes sarcasm