View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1434 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 4349341334138414241430143114321433143414351436143714381444 ... LastLast
Results 21,496 to 21,510 of 21662
    Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bob.schoonover View Post
    Batman Eternal was, imo, overly long, a bit too convoluted, and has highly variable art (to be kind).

I liked Batman and Robin Eternal much more - it's a tighter story that flows much better. It's set in a very specific point in time - while Dick is a secret agent, Bruce isn't Batman, and We Are Robin was going on - you'll need to know those things going in.
    I'm aware those things happened. Did I read those books to fully know the ends & outs...no. So is being aware of those status quo changes enough or one really needs the nuts/bolts of each one of those individual stories to enjoy this? Cause I was also thinking of picking this up.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    I'm aware those things happened. Did I read those books to fully know the ends & outs...no. So is being aware of those status quo changes enough or one really needs the nuts/bolts of each one of those individual stories to enjoy this? Cause I was also thinking of picking this up.
    Just being aware, I think. If I'm remembering correctly (I'm getting old, who knows?), it's before Robin War, so I don't think most of the batfamily knows Dick is alive. That's probably the degree to which you need to remember anything from that era
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I don't disagree about the reading order/completionist thing, but since DC decided never to publish a version of Dark Nights: Metal that was all of Snyder's stuff (they always omit the two Dark Days books at minimum), I grabbed the first omni. This second one I'll waffle back and forth about for a few more months - there's some interesting stuff in DM, but (1) I felt it really paid short shrift to Snyder's JL run by ignoring a lot of the developments in favor of more BWL and (2) it got so quickly ignored that it's hardly essential.
    Yeah, I did a custom bound of (an abridged) Metal where I used: Dark Days 2 books + the Metal hardcover/softcover contents (the one that included Lost and Wild Hunt) + the fairly essential (like it or not) BWL origin issue by Tynion (who was really basically Scott Snyder Jr).

Yeah, I can see your fair point about DM ignoring JL run stuff too much. I definitely view Snyder's whole JL run as: No Justice & the JL comics + BWL mini series (which happens in the middle of the JL run) + Death Metal (which I'd abridge a lot)
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 06-06-2023 at 12:03 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Batman Eternal was, imo, overly long, a bit too convoluted, and has highly variable art (to be kind).

I liked Batman and Robin Eternal much more - it's a tighter story that flows much better. It's set in a very specific point in time - while Dick is a secret agent, Bruce isn't Batman, and We Are Robin was going on - you'll need to know those things going in.
    I kind of agree on Batman Eternal but its one virtue, which like no one talks about, is that it fills well enough an annoying story gap between the Scott Snyder's Graveyard Shift (Batman) trade (just after Death of the Family) and the Batman Endgame story/trade. Two Joker stories so close to each other in a run.
    It's a little less ridiculous that Endgame occurs so soon after Death of the Family when you read and accept Eternal's events (lackluster as they may be, though it does tie up Lincoln March's story a little bit more, and the Cluemaster story is a decent one for Cluemaster).

Batman and Robin Eternal felt far more unnecessary to me. Not good enough for me to justify its existence.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 06-08-2023 at 01:26 PM.

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Incredible Member

I love Sean Murphy's White Knight books. Is there an omnibus on the horizon? With the way the most recent mini ended, I'd assume more books are on the way, thereby delaying an omni for at least a few more years.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Just being aware, I think. If I'm remembering correctly (I'm getting old, who knows?), it's before Robin War, so I don't think most of the batfamily knows Dick is alive. That's probably the degree to which you need to remember anything from that era
    Thanks for your thoughts! I think I may pass on this one...not sure.
    Last edited by chicainery; 06-15-2023 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chicainery View Post
    Thanks for your thoughts! I think I may pass on this one...not sure.
    I went ahead and preordered. I thought I'd give it a shot.

So the Batman Hush Omnibus is finally officially happening, and Super Son is getting a third release of the omnibus where they again have added more content, it will now be the Super Duper Edition, lol.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    So the Batman Hush Omnibus is finally officially happening, and Super Son is getting a third release of the omnibus where they again have added more content, it will now be the Super Duper Edition, lol.
    I sold my first Super Sons Omnibus in order to purchase the Super Sons Expanded Omnibus. It's a shame DC are forgetting about those who have had to double dip. I think I'll draw the line here and keep my Expanded edition. I kind of hope preorders will tank on the Super Duper edition in order to get the message across that this isn't really fair for a lot of collectors. I know DC Omnibus preorders are important, but this is a little below the belt. From my understanding, the old addition is Challenge of the Super Sons #1-7. Anyone have any thoughts on this series?

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    So the Batman Hush Omnibus is finally officially happening.
    I may consider getting it. It's a tough one. Dini's Hush work may be decent enough for me to order this.

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    I may consider getting it. It's a tough one. Dini's Hush work may be decent enough for me to order this.
    Super off topic... J, you getting Fight Forever?

DC September 2023 Oversized Solicitations:

SUPERMAN: THE WARWORLD SAGA

Written by PHILLIP KENNEDY JOHNSON and SI SPURRIER
    Art by RICCARDO FEDERICI, DANIEL SAMPERE, WILL CONRAD, SCOTT GODLEWSKI, MIKEL JANIN, and others
    Cover by RICCARDO FEDERICI
    $59.99 US | 712 pages | Softcover | 6 5/8″ x 10 3/16″ | ISBN: 978-1-77952-388-4
    ON SALE 11/14/23
    After learning of an enslaved race with mysterious ties to Krypton, Superman and the Authority leave Earth and travel across the galaxy to liberate Warworld. Think it’s that simple? Think again.
    With Superman captured on Warworld, he’ll need to team up with other enslaved gladiators to turn the hordes of Warworld against their captors. As the Warworld Saga reaches a breaking point, battle lines are drawn between the two towering forces at odds: Mongul and Superman. Which heroes will survive the conflict, and what will be the fate of the citizens of Warworld?
    This volume collects the full Warworld Saga: Action Comics #1030-1046, Action Comics 2021 Annual, Action Comics 2022 Annual, Batman/Superman: Authority Special #1, Future State: Superman: House of El #1, Future State: Superman: Worlds of War #1-2, and Superman: Warworld Apocalypse #1!

ABSOLUTE DARK KNIGHT (2024 EDITION)
    Written by FRANK MILLER
    Art and cover by FRANK MILLER and KLAUS JANSON
    $125.00 US | 512 pages | 8 1/8" x 12 1/4" | Hardcover | ISBN: 978-1-77952-566-6
    ON SALE 2/27/24
    OFFERED AGAIN! Hailed as a comics masterpiece, Frank Miller’s The Dark Knight Returns—and its equally provocative sequel The Dark Knight Strikes Again—gets the oversize Absolute treatment in a giant one-volume slipcase edition. With stunning art and brilliant commentary, this volume collects Batman: The Dark Knight Returns #1-4 and Batman: The Dark Knight Strikes Again #1-4.

AQUAMAN: ANDROMEDA OHC
    Written by RAM V
    Art and cover by CHRISTIAN WARD
    $29.99 US | 168 pages | 8 1/2" x 10 7/8" | Hardcover | ISBN: 978-1-77951-733-3
    ON SALE 11/21/23
    Deep in the Pacific Ocean sits Point Nemo: the spaceship graveyard. But it’s not only ships that sit at these dark depths. There’s a structure never made by human hands. And that structure seems to be…waking up. The crew of the experimental submarine Andromeda have been chosen to investigate this mystery. But they aren’t the only ones pursuing it. The master pirate Black Manta is on the hunt…and anything that attracts Black Manta attracts Arthur Curry, his lifelong foe, the Aquaman! But heaven help them all when the doors of the mystery at Point Nemo swing wide to admit them…Collects Aquaman: Andromeda #1-3.

BATMAN: THE HUSH SAGA OMNIBUS
    Written by JEPH LOEB, A.J. LIEBERMAN, and PAUL DINI
    Pencils by JIM LEE, AL BARRIONUEVO, DUSTIN NGUYEN, and others
    Inks by SCOTT WILLIAMS, JAVIER BERGANTINO, FRANCIS PORTELA, and others
    Cover by JIM LEE and SCOTT WILLIAMS
    $150.00 US | 1272 pages | 7 1/16" x 10 7/8"| Hardcover | ISBN: 978-1-77952-622-9
    ON SALE 11/7/23
    Gotham City is swept by a crime epidemic, and all of Batman’s enemies have emerged to throw his life into utter chaos. Little do they know that they’re all pawns of the villainous Hush in an elaborate game of revenge against Bruce Wayne! Experience the Hush saga in its entirety for the first time ever, including many never-before collected issues! Collecting Batman #608-619 and #685; Batman: Gotham Knights #50-55, #60-71, and #73-74; Detective Comics #846-850 and #852; a Hush interlude from Wizard #0; the Hush tales from Batman: Streets of Gotham #1-4, #14, and #16-21; and a brand-new short story from Batman: Hush: 20th Anniversary Edition.