View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 154 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 541041441501511521531541551561571581642042546541154 ... LastLast
Results 2,296 to 2,310 of 21671

Quote Originally Posted by danmar85 View Post
    Thanks, I'll keep it in mind if I ever want to delve into the series.

There's also the comic that's continued the JLU universe since the animated series ended, but I'm assuming you knew of it already.
    I've read a few which was about the DCAU but those didn't have any ongoing plot (like the cartoons had), but there were some high profile writers on it (For example: Dan Slott).
    I'm not a big fan of these tv show spin offs and outside of Buffy haven't read any.
    Morrison's JLA is really good for a DC newbie, it is very self contained (there are one or two continuity things, but nothing major) and straight forward compared to other Morrison books.

Spectacular Member Whenitmatters's Avatar

My computer is finally fixed, and read the last 10 or so pages from each forum. I feel so behind. Anyways I have a question about the DCU. I want to start reading the Flash. I watched the pilot episode on the CW, and liked his appearances in the New 52 Justice League vol 1. I want to know which collected edition should i start with first, the Geoff Johns run or the new 52 run? I'm probably going to test out the new 52 Aquaman run as well. I keep hearing it has an underrated story and seeing how there is a movie being made about it I would like to know anyone' s thoughts about it before I spend the money.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Whenitmatters View Post
    My computer is finally fixed, and read the last 10 or so pages from each forum. I feel so behind. Anyways I have a question about the DCU. I want to start reading the Flash. I watched the pilot episode on the CW, and liked his appearances in the New 52 Justice League vol 1. I want to know which collected edition should i start with first, the Geoff Johns run or the new 52 run? I'm probably going to test out the new 52 Aquaman run as well. I keep hearing it has an underrated story and seeing how there is a movie being made about it I would like to know anyone' s thoughts about it before I spend the money.
    For the Flash Johns' run is a good begin point, though it's nor Barry Allen in the suit but Wally West. Aquaman by Johns is also very good, you should definitely try that. You might also dig up some good JL runs like JLA by Morrison for both Flash and Aquaman. The New 52 Flash run has some awesome art with a good enough story, it does feature Barry Allen.
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    My list :
    1. Gotham Central
    2. Spectre by Ostrander
    3. Swamp Thing by Moore
    4. Green Arrow by Grell
    5. JL by Giffen and DeMatteis

Runner ups:
    Suicide squad and Hawkworld by Ostrander
    Secret Six by Simone
    JLA by Morrison
    Question by Denny O'Neil
    Aquaman by Johns
    Batman by Rucka
    Batman by Brubaker
    And a whole lot more
    Agreed! the O'neil Question run was f$%n great!
    what happened to the character nowadays?

Quote Originally Posted by ricardoramos View Post
    Agreed! the O'neil Question run was f$%n great!
    what happened to the character nowadays?
    He's a sinner who is damned to roam the earth for a crime he committed now in the New 52. I liked the old version more
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

For the Flash Johns' run is a good begin point, though it's nor Barry Allen in the suit but Wally West. Aquaman by Johns is also very good, you should definitely try that. You might also dig up some good JL runs like JLA by Morrison for both Flash and Aquaman. The New 52 Flash run has some awesome art with a good enough story, it does feature Barry Allen.
    pretty much my advice too.

He's a sinner who is damned to roam the earth for a crime he committed now in the New 52. I liked the old version more
    he is what now? I thought that's the Phantom Stranger. Last time I checked the Question was a street level vigilante detective. (I think I just gonna rewatch the JLU episodes involving the Question because he was plain awesome in those).

Whaaat???
    What a waste of a character.
    I loved the Denny O'Neil stuff although it got kind of silly toward the very end.

Quote Originally Posted by aquitaine View Post
    Which bizarro Canada do you live in where people are taught that form of crazy? Surely not the one I'm living in. Everyone I know here in Ontario would type that number 1,967,428.25. The way you marked it doesn't even make sense since there is no way to tell if you are referring to different numbers as a set, or as one whole number. The accountant in me just cringes at anyone thinking that it is remotely acceptable to type a number that way.

Whew, I was starting to wonder if I had somehow entered a strange alternate dimension Canada-land.
    Taken from the Translation Bureau's website ( run by the government of Canada):

The Canadian Metric Practice Guide (CAN/CSA-Z234.1-89) of the Canadian Standards Association specifies that groups of three numerals (triads) shall be separated by a space, except in the case of monetary values. It advises against the use of commas as separators. Although both commas and spaces are still widely used in Canada, The Canadian Style recommends that, except in financial documents, a space be used instead of a comma.

So you were right, in finances you would use a comma, but in all other applications you would just use a space.

Quote Originally Posted by aquitaine View Post
    Feet and Inches are no more 'two systems' than meters and centimeters are 'two systems'. 12 inches = a foot. It's the same system.

He's right though. My height in imperial measurments would be displayed as 6'1", no 73", where as in metric measurements I would be 183cm, not 1m83cm.
    Last edited by canadianaidan64; 10-19-2014 at 09:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    he is what now? I thought that's the Phantom Stranger. Last time I checked the Question was a street level vigilante detective. (I think I just gonna rewatch the JLU episodes involving the Question because he was plain awesome in those).
    Phantom Stranger, the Question and Pandora are all part of the "trinity of sin". I must say altough I don't like that they've turned Question into such a different character most stories which involved the Trinity of Sin were pretty good.

Here is the scene where the Question turns into the Question

Last edited by victorxd1999; 10-19-2014 at 09:33 AM.

Not trying to be a dick or anything but can we take the math classes to another thread.

Phantom Stranger, the Question and Pandora are all part of the "trinity of sin". I must say altough I don't like that they've turned Question into such a different character most stories which involved the Trinity of Sin were pretty good.

They should have just left him dead. This is the problem - one of many - with the "new" 52 is that is seems like DC just HAS to do something, make changes, to certain characters that were doing fine already (Tim Drake, the Question, etc.)

so based on these 2 pages he is mute too?
    Is the art Ivan Reis? His style starts to look like late Neal Adams.

Fantastic Member The_Dark_Knight's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    They should have just left him dead. This is the problem - one of many - with the "new" 52 is that is seems like DC just HAS to do something, make changes, to certain characters that were doing fine already (Tim Drake, the Question, etc.)
    I totally agree, but I can't help thinking that those reading DC in the mid-80s felt and said the same thing about the post-Crisis changes. Now here we are and post-Crisis DCU ('86-'11 I think) is "my" DCU and I'm complaining about change in the N52 era. Guess what's old is new again.

I'd be curious to hear from any of our members who were reading back pre-Crisis and have them compare and contrast fandom's reactions to the post-Crisis changes with modern fandom's reactions to N52 changes.