View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 155 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 551051451511521531541551561571581591652052556551155 ... LastLast
Results 2,311 to 2,325 of 21672
    forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    so based on these 2 pages he is mute too?
    Is the art Ivan Reis? His style starts to look like late Neal Adams.
    No, he isn't mute, he talks normally. The issue (Free comic book day 2012) is drawn by 6 different artists including Reis, but I don't know if these were the Reis panels or not. Check this for more on the Trinity of Sin
    http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=38519
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Quote Originally Posted by The_Dark_Knight View Post
    I totally agree, but I can't help thinking that those reading DC in the mid-80s felt and said the same thing about the post-Crisis changes. Now here we are and post-Crisis DCU ('86-'11 I think) is "my" DCU and I'm complaining about change in the N52 era. Guess what's old is new again.

I'd be curious to hear from any of our members who were reading back pre-Crisis and have them compare and contrast fandom's reactions to the post-Crisis changes with modern fandom's reactions to N52 changes.
    He was a Charlton character before the mid-80s stuff, but I don't know much about the character prior to pre-crisis, and I'm not sure if there was a change. Could have been. I don't know.

I do, however, know that if you can't make a change for the better, then you probably shouldn't do it. LOL. And the New 52 change for the Question falls - imho - in that category.

I totally agree, but I can't help thinking that those reading DC in the mid-80s felt and said the same thing about the post-Crisis changes. Now here we are and post-Crisis DCU ('86-'11 I think) is "my" DCU and I'm complaining about change in the N52 era. Guess what's old is new again.

I'd be curious to hear from any of our members who were reading back pre-Crisis and have them compare and contrast fandom's reactions to the post-Crisis changes with modern fandom's reactions to N52 changes.
    I've heard from some people that people are more pissed off at the New 52 because while CoIE rebooted a lot of things, it was mostly done very carefully and most things that worked were kept while the things that didn't were changed, where as the New 52 has also changed a lot of good stuff, far more good stuff than CoIE did. For example Deathstroke: they changed the whole character and severed all the great links he had with other characters (he hasn't even met Dick Grayson). Same with Black Canary, the Question, Martian Manhunter and so many other things. And perhaps the worst thing is that the New 52 has made some stuff even more convoluted, while it was supposed to make things simpler. That said, I'm not a New 52 hater, these are just the facts that I see
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

But CoIE happened because everything was a mess without a strong sense of continuity if I'm not mistaken. There were some stuff which got rebooted but it wasn't just a sales boost, it happened for contunity and story reasons too.
    I wasn't there so maybe I'm mistaken.
    On the other hand the New52 threw out decades of continuity on the window (yes, there were a lot of continuity, but it wasn't a big mess, there were just a lot of stuff to read through, some better than others), made changes for change's sake and tried to shove gimmick after gimmick down on our throats. (and don't get me started on the inconsistencies).

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    I've read a few which was about the DCAU but those didn't have any ongoing plot (like the cartoons had), but there were some high profile writers on it (For example: Dan Slott).
    The digital first ______ Beyond (Batman, Superman, Justice League) series are a direct continuation of the DCAU (Batman Beyond and Justice League Unlimited are the same universe) and have ongoing storylines. I pick them up in TPB format and they are amazing.

Reading list:

Batman
    • Batman Beyond - 10,000 Clowns
    • Batman Beyond - Batgirl Beyond
    • (November 2014) Batman Beyond 2.0 - Rewired

Justice League
    • Justice League Beyond - Konstriction (This touches on some of the lingering plot threads from the end of JLU with Apokolips)
    • Justice League Beyond - In Gods We Trust
    • Justice League Beyond - Power Struggle
    • (March 2015)Batman Beyond - Justice Lords Beyond (This was originally a Justice League digital series but when it went to print it became Batman issues)

Superman
    • Superman Beyond - Man of Tomorrow (Also includes Superman/Batman Annual #4)

Quote Originally Posted by drd View Post
    The digital first ______ Beyond (Batman, Superman, Justice League) series are a direct continuation of the DCAU (Batman Beyond and Justice League Unlimited are the same universe) and have ongoing storylines. I pick them up in TPB format and they are amazing.

Reading list:

Batman
    • Batman Beyond - 10,000 Clowns
    • Batman Beyond - Batgirl Beyond
    • (November 2014) Batman Beyond 2.0 - Rewired

Justice League
    • Justice League Beyond - Konstriction (This touches on some of the lingering plot threads from the end of JLU with Apokolips)
    • Justice League Beyond - In Gods We Trust
    • Justice League Beyond - Power Struggle
    • (March 2015)Batman Beyond - Justice Lords Beyond (This was originally a Justice League digital series but when it went to print it became Batman issues)

Superman
    • Superman Beyond - Man of Tomorrow (Also includes Superman/Batman Annual #4)
    Thanks! Somehow I forgot about the Beyond part of the AU. I heard good things about these titles, I will put them on my "list".

Spectacular Member Whenitmatters's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    For the Flash Johns' run is a good begin point, though it's nor Barry Allen in the suit but Wally West. Aquaman by Johns is also very good, you should definitely try that. You might also dig up some good JL runs like JLA by Morrison for both Flash and Aquaman. The New 52 Flash run has some awesome art with a good enough story, it does feature Barry Allen.
    Thanks for the reply. If i start with the Geoff flash run do i get the omnibus or do i get rebirth first? Or rebirth is included in the omnibus?

Quote Originally Posted by Whenitmatters View Post
    Thanks for the reply. If i start with the Geoff flash run do i get the omnibus or do i get rebirth first? Or rebirth is included in the omnibus?
    Rebirth was written after Johns' first run (Johns first wrote a long, acclaimed run with Wally West. After a few years he wrote Rebirth to bring back Barry and then did a second run which was less good than his first run). Just get the 3 omnibi and you'll be fine

Spectacular Member Whenitmatters's Avatar

Rebirth was written after Johns' first run (Johns first wrote a long, acclaimed run with Wally West. After a few years he wrote Rebirth to bring back Barry and then did a second run which was less good than his first run). Just get the 3 omnibi and you'll be fine
    once again thanks. I hope I'm not asking too many questions but would you also recommend the new 52 batman and robin or stay away. I'm trying to put my shopping cart together and want to test out other characters in the universe besides batman. I enjoyed gail simone's batgirl so i already put vol 2-4 in my cart, I'm also purchasing batman vol 5. I like some superman only if it is an elseworlds/one shot tale like red son (read that yesterday) but I'm not that much of fan , and lastly I want to purchase Forever Evil. Do I have to read the rest of Justice League to understand this story or is it standalone. Once again thank you for your advice, I really appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by momaw View Post
    You mean a point, for example 32.4 and then 32.5 and then 32.6...

You wacky Europeans and your weird commas.

But seriously, how do you express a number like 1,967,428.25 (one million, nine hundred and sixty seven thousand, four hundred and twenty eight point two five) if you use commas to denote decimal places? I work in finance and the difference between a decimal point and a comma is kind of a big deal.
    I'm not European, I'm from Argentina in South America. Then again, here we also use a comma for the decimal mark and a point to separate thousands. 1,967,428.25 over here is 1.967.428,25. Still, it's a pretty simple difference. Where some countries use a comma we use a point and vice versa.

By the way, thanks for all the explanations about the use of fractions and inches!

once again thanks. I hope I'm not asking too many questions but would you also recommend the new 52 batman and robin or stay away. I'm trying to put my shopping cart together and want to test out other characters in the universe besides batman. I enjoyed gail simone's batgirl so i already put vol 2-4 in my cart, I'm also purchasing batman vol 5. I like some superman only if it is an elseworlds/one shot tale like red son (read that yesterday) but I'm not that much of fan , and lastly I want to purchase Forever Evil. Do I have to read the rest of Justice League to understand this story or is it standalone. Once again thank you for your advice, I really appreciate it.
    You might need to read some JL issues before Forever Evil, specially the Trinity War crossover.

Personally, I really like Batman and Robin. It pretty much is a sequel of Grant Morrison's Batman, you expect a lot of over the top moments and, specially, vehicles. There a few mediocre issues, but also some really excellent ones. Issues #8 and #18 are my favorite New 52 Batman issues. And the annuals are pretty awesome too.

I've heard from some people that people are more pissed off at the New 52 because while CoIE rebooted a lot of things, it was mostly done very carefully and most things that worked were kept while the things that didn't were changed, where as the New 52 has also changed a lot of good stuff, far more good stuff than CoIE did. For example Deathstroke: they changed the whole character and severed all the great links he had with other characters (he hasn't even met Dick Grayson). Same with Black Canary, the Question, Martian Manhunter and so many other things. And perhaps the worst thing is that the New 52 has made some stuff even more convoluted, while it was supposed to make things simpler. That said, I'm not a New 52 hater, these are just the facts that I see
    Don't even get me started on the abomination/abortion that is Green Arrow. Damn that was just awful. Lemire tried to fix it a little bit and just as he got going he's now left the title. Which means I've dropped it for a second time.

Tomasi's Batman and Robin series is in my opinion the best Batman title out today. This guy knows how to write characters and plots that make sense.

I have only read vol 1 of Batman and Robin from the New 52 and that was pretty entertaining. I heard it keeps that level through out the series but I could be wrong (I do know #18 was highly acclaimed, it follows the repurcussions of Death of the Family). Forever Evil was set up by Trinity War, but you can also choose to Google that part if you wish. The rest of JL isn't really necessary though the storyline that came before Trinity War, Throne of Atlantis, was very good.

By getting into new characters do you mean New 52 only or also pre-new 52? Here are my faves of the New 52 either way:
    Swamp Thing by Snyder and by Soule (Snyder started out on the title, he started pretty damn good but it went downhill during Rotworld, a crossover with Animal Man. Soule picked it up after Rotworld (vol 4) and it has been pure awesomeness so far.)
    Animal Man (the whole series is by Lemire. Like Swamp Thing it goes downhill during Rotworld but picks the pace back up again after it)
    Green arrow by Lemire (trade vol 4 through 6. This my shared number 1 favorite comic from the New 52, it's great!)
    Wonder Woman by Azzarello (the other favorite of mine. It just ended. This is a very different take on a WW comic. It's an awesome tapestry of Greek mythology given a modern take, every Greek mythology fan should pick it up)
    Earth 2 by Robinson
    Red Lanterns by Soule (from halfway the 4th trade)

Good elseworld/one shot Superman tales are:
    Whatever Happened to the man of tomorrow?
    All-Star Superman
    Kingdom Come
    Start with those.

If you need any more help just say the word.

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    Don't even get me started on the abomination/abortion that is Green Arrow. Damn that was just awful. Lemire tried to fix it a little bit and just as he got going he's now left the title. Which means I've dropped it for a second time.

Tomasi's Batman and Robin series is in my opinion the best Batman title out today. This guy knows how to write characters and plots that make sense.
    Yeah, I hated it when Lemire left GA. He was like Johns was to Green Lantern, he could build a great mythology for Green Arrow and he was if it wasn't for Dc trying to make GA more like Arrow he could do even more than he already did. Plus, Lemire was probably one of the first writers who gave Ollie some good rogues, that was always the weakness of the GA series but Lemire's new takes on Count Vertigo, Richard Dragon, Red Dart and Killer Moth were just amazing.

We need an OHC of Lemire's run

Yeah, I would recommend Batman from Snyder, personally he's my favourite modern creator, I even follow him on Twitter and that means something wink wink. I have all HC's of Batman, great stories, great art, buy it man. Batman and Robin is also good, maybe not as good as Snyder's Batman, but pretty awesome and this 'silent' issue is fantastic. Batgirl was a suprise for me, didn't expect such a good title about some girl in bat costume.

Consider Batwoman as a next purchase, Williams' art is amazing, never seen something like it before. Story, on the other hand, is mediocre, at best, but still I would recommend. Williams needs some special threatment, OHC or omnibus or absolute - where the hell is that Promethea omnibus?! I know, he's working on Sandman and taking his time.

Can't help with Sup, I have only absolute Kingdom Come, would like to buy Red Son HC, but can't find it in decent price.
    Last edited by lvizzz; 10-19-2014 at 02:56 PM.