View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 16 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026661165161016 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedNave View Post
    For those in the UK (and Europe) Amazon UK have JSA Vol.1 back at under £60.
    I preordered it from amazon.com for $59.30 along with JSA Omnibus Vol. 2 at $89.09, with total shipping at $11.97. Taking my total preorder price of $160.36 and based on the respective RRP prices of $125 & $150, proportionately JSA Omni Vol.1 will work out at around £43 and JSA Omni Vol. 2 at around £53. The speedyhen price for the first volume is not far off.

Quote Originally Posted by Thesanmich View Post
    I've already spent a fair amount this month to get my hands on the ASM2 omnibus and USM OHC's but that JSA omnibus is really tempting me at 53 percent off...
    If it was Marvel the decision would be easy, I'd just wait it out for a clearance, but this is DC we're talking about.
    I haven't really seen DC books go on clearance. I get the feeling DC sticks to small print runs, then goes to multiple printings if needed. Probably why I've also noticed DC books go OOP more abruptly. That's why I've made it a habit not to wait too long with their books, as opposed to Marvel, where I take my time because I get plenty of warning when books are running low.

Quote Originally Posted by csista View Post
    I actually just bought them. Only flipped through Vol. 1 so far. Didn't see supplements. Not oversized. It's actually made with the same 80s newsprint paper that my old trade and the original issues were made with. At first I was upset, but now I actually find it kind of endearing in a nostalgic way. But likely a turn-off for most people. If you already have the trades, you're only upgrading the cover.
    Thanks for the response. I can't decide what I think about the newsprint though. I wonder if I should just go with the trades since the HCs only seem to go to vol. 4 anyways. Hmmm...

Still looking for OOP HC book suggestions, will start updating the list tomorrow and over the weekend when I have a bit more time.

Quote Originally Posted by Brito View Post
    Hello people! First post! It's nice to be here. Now... Quick question. Something that has been bothering me...

Does any one know if there will be more "classic" ASTRO CITY reprinted as hardcover? (Volume 2, the specials, ...)
    Volume 1 was just issued that way, but not Shinning Stars. Family Album is scheduled for reprint in September, but (as far as I know) paperback only - the hardback edition, scheduled for last month (according to Bookdepository*), got cancelled (according to Cheapgraphicnovels*). I don't know if the soft editions will be my only option or if I just have to wait (if that's the case, I'm ok with it. I was a Planetary reader: I'm a VERY patient person. )

(* By the way, it's really frustrating to come up with information about Astro City, that's why I mine anything Google points...)
    Kurt Busiek was registered with the old board and might be with the new one and was always popping up to answer questions. You could then PM him. If not, he has a site, I think. He had commented a time or two about Astro City collected editions.
    Co-host of Get Valiant, a Valiant Comics podcast.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by pud333 View Post
    It says Batman 21-24, and Batman Zero Year The Director's Cut #1.
    What pisses me off is they skipped 18-20? I think? Wherever the Death of The Family story ends, and the Requiem story starts.. They skipped the entire thing and didn't collect it. Why!? I remember reading reviews of one of the issues where there was little to no dialogue at all, being very good..yet we can't get it collected?? They better collect those missing issues after Zero Year is collected!

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

It would be very cool if they threw all the zero year issues into one OHC, including any crossovers, at some point after it's ended. The finale is supposed to be in Batman #33.

I'm really starting to get annoyed with Chapters. Lately they've sent 4 or 5 books unsealed, the most recent being the Invisibles Omnibus (which also came damaged). I also received the misprint edition of Bruce Wayne Murderer? The one that was supposed to be destroyed by retailers. I called to set up replacement orders for both items and they commented that I've set up several of them (only 5 out of 60+ plus orders with multiple books). I've spent an ungodly amount of money at Chapters and have replaced very few books, so for them to comment on that was kind of insulting.
    Last edited by Wasp14; 05-08-2014 at 12:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brito View Post
    Does any one know if there will be more "classic" ASTRO CITY reprinted as hardcover? (Volume 2, the specials, ...)
    That's the plan, as I understand it.

Volume 1 was just issued that way, but not Shinning Stars.
    SHINING STARS was, last I saw, still in print in hardcover. It hadn't been issued yet in SC, so that's what the recent printing was.

Family Album is scheduled for reprint in September, but (as far as I know) paperback only - the hardback edition, scheduled for last month (according to Bookdepository*), got cancelled (according to Cheapgraphicnovels*).
    That's news to me. I've asked DC about it. If plans have changed, I haven't been consulted.

kdb
    Visit www.busiek.com—for all your Busiek needs!

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
    Kurt Busiek was registered with the old board and might be with the new one and was always popping up to answer questions. You could then PM him.
    Actually, if I've got preferences set up right, I have PMs turned off. I don't want to have to check every site I visit for private e-mail, so I prefer to toggle those things off.

kdb
    Visit www.busiek.com—for all your Busiek needs!

Quote Originally Posted by RedNave View Post
    For those in the UK (and Europe) Amazon UK have JSA Vol.1 back at under £60.
    Thanks for the heads up. Going to stick with importing it from the US for now, was hoping it would drop a little further from Amazon UK... Wishful thinking.

Speaking of Mr. Busiek, I'd love it if his Superman run was collected in a more comprehensive way. Apart from Camelot Falls, there are too many tiny trades with just 2-3 issues and some classic reprints for padding. Would love to have just his run in thicker tpb or deluxe hc format.

Quote Originally Posted by NZ_InFerno View Post
    Still looking for OOP HC book suggestions, will start updating the list tomorrow and over the weekend when I have a bit more time.
    The first Teen Titans Omni is out of print and going for a decent amount.

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but the first few Starman Omnibuses are out of print as well (hardcover), with the 3rd volume being the most rare.

Have updated the OOP books, thanks for suggestions. Have checked against amazon for the OOP selections so if some are available elsewhere I might put a little asterisk there to show limited availability.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wasp14 View Post
    I'm really starting to get annoyed with Chapters. Lately they've sent 4 or 5 books unsealed, the most recent being the Invisibles Omnibus (which also came damaged). I also received the misprint edition of Bruce Wayne Murderer? The one that was supposed to be destroyed by retailers. I called to set up replacement orders for both items and they commented that I've set up several of them (only 5 out of 60+ plus orders with multiple books). I've spent an ungodly amount of money at Chapters and have replaced very few books, so for them to comment on that was kind of insulting.
    I usually have good luck with chapters. Much better than Amazon, but my OCD is too much and I've decided that for books I really want, I buy them at my LCS now. The extra money is worth it to a) get the book immediately b) not have to deal with the hassle of damaged books and c) picking them up in person is the ONLY way to guarantee the condition I expect. It would be nice if they paid more attention to packaging but they won't. So I'm done with it.

Also, it supports my LCS more, so that's always a good thing.