View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 179 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 791291691751761771781791801811821831892292796791179 ... LastLast
Results 2,671 to 2,685 of 21672
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by canadianaidan64 View Post
    I'm with you. I think vertigo comics from the 80s & 90s are the best comics ever written.
    well, you probably grew up on them, like me. so we're heavily biased

of course you can still find a lot of interesting, unique voices in the graphic novel scene. you know, back in the day, they used to make fun about how graphic novels are just comics in paperback, how it's just a marketing gag. it really saddens me that it really is true today: the graphic novel auteurs and mainstream comics are living now in completely separate worlds, are sold in different outlets to (mostly) completely different audiences. i think this is one reason, why we don't get the new watchmen or sandman, there is no crossover anymore between the art/underground/literacy and genre/entertainment.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by krylox View Post
    i really like lazarus and especially alex+ada. but they don't feel like i'm reading "the great american novel", if you know what i mean. i think there is now a whole generation of comic author who grew up mostly reading comics and internet-boards and not so much classic literature. on a positive note, they are much more versed in graphic storytelling. every one of your examples is a better comics than sandman ever was, just from the formal aspect. they do know how to pace and tell a story through visuals. but they lack in a literary, unique voice, a specific "sound", like moore, gaiman, milligan and a few others had.
    like i said, visually the (mainstream genre) comic of today is a far more complex and vibrant thing than in the 80s and 90s. maybe the slight shallowness is the price to pay for it.
    Honestly, I think it might be for the better. Comics are becoming its own genre. Though some comics are still literate and I hope those comics stay, I like variety. Pretty Deadly for example is still pretty literate imo.
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Fantastic Member

i was talking about this topic with my (mostly graphic novels reading) girlfriend today. i also mentioned how great a deal karen berger was for comics. she was like "how come i have never heard of her before? and you never mentioned her either.". guilty as charged. i think she is one of the most under-appreciated persons ever to work in the comics industry. really hope karen will one day be remembered for the revolutionary editor that she was. we'll never know if authors like moore, gaiman, morrison, ellis, ennis... would have become the legends they are now, if not for the playground of vertigo (and pre-vertigo "berger books") and their legendary runs on swamp thing, sandman etc

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    Honestly, I think it might be for the better. Comics are becoming its own genre. Though some comics are still literate and I hope those comics stay, I like variety. Pretty Deadly for example is still pretty literate imo.
    you're right about comics becoming more "their own thing". but like i see it, it's exactly the diversity that's lacking. pretty deadly was on my to-read-list for some time, i'm even more curious now.

i was talking about this topic with my (mostly graphic novels reading) girlfriend today. i also mentioned how great a deal karen berger was for comics. she was like "how come i have never heard of her before? and you never mentioned her either.". guilty as charged. i think she is one of the most under-appreciated persons ever to work in the comics industry. really hope karen will one day be remembered for the revolutionary editor that she was. we'll never know if authors like moore, gaiman, morrison, ellis, ennis... would have become the legends they are now, if not for the playground of vertigo (and pre-vertigo "berger books") and their legendary runs on swamp thing, sandman etc
    Yep, Berger was the one that made the entire Vertigo/pre-Vertigo thing happen. One of the most important editors in the comic industry
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

i'm just reading mike carey's lucifer and enjoying it very much. what do you guys think are the chances of getting a deluxe treatment of his "unwritten" series in the next year or so? sales were never spectacularly good on the series in the first place. just wondering if i should hold back a while or just go for the normal tpbs soon.
    thanks for your input!
    I've been waiting for a Deluxe of Unwritten for years. I would say there is a good chance of it happening, Vertigo series have been getting the oversized treatment for a while now and mostly its been the more popular books. Unwritten had never been hugely popular, but it is fantastic, and I expect it should get an oversized treatment. As to when it will get it, well that is another story.

well, you probably grew up on them, like me. so we're heavily biased

of course you can still find a lot of interesting, unique voices in the graphic novel scene. you know, back in the day, they used to make fun about how graphic novels are just comics in paperback, how it's just a marketing gag. it really saddens me that it really is true today: the graphic novel auteurs and mainstream comics are living now in completely separate worlds, are sold in different outlets to (mostly) completely different audiences. i think this is one reason, why we don't get the new watchmen or sandman, there is no crossover anymore between the art/underground/literacy and genre/entertainment.
    I don't know if you have read Phonogram or not, but it sounds like you would enjoy it. Planetary would be right up your alley too.

Here it is, Ronin Deluxe in it's glory.

Arrived today, it was long journey from Guernsey (dispatched on 31.10.), hopefully Saga Deluxe will take some shortcut to Serbia (dispatched on 13.11.)

Quote Originally Posted by silkcuts View Post
    Here it is, Ronin Deluxe in it's glory.

Arrived today, it was long journey from Guernsey (dispatched on 31.10.), hopefully Saga Deluxe will take some shortcut to Serbia (dispatched on 13.11.)
    Opening with one hand only like a pro.

Is anyone up for a Most Wanted Dc Omnibus poll? We've had several Marvel ones but no official Dc one. If people are up to it I'd be willing to organise iT/count the votes.

Amazing Member

I'd be up for it as long as Mark Waid's Flash run was the winner.

Quote Originally Posted by dern View Post
    I'd be up for it as long as Mark Waid's Flash run was the winner.
    Just to let you know, I take bribes

I had Waid's Flash in my shortlist but sadly it didn't make my top 10

Hello from the gutter Mad Hatter's Avatar

Is anyone up for a Most Wanted Dc Omnibus poll? We've had several Marvel ones but no official Dc one. If people are up to it I'd be willing to organise iT/count the votes.
    Hell, yes!

Just to let you know, I take bribes

I had Waid's Flash in my shortlist but sadly it didn't make my top 10
    Would this encompass Vertigo titles as well or just purely DC? I wouldn't even feel qualified to voice my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by danmar85 View Post
    Would this encompass Vertigo titles as well or just purely DC? I wouldn't even feel qualified to voice my opinion.
    I'll specify the rules later but I guess Vertigo and Wildstorm will be allowed. I don't have any Vertigo titles in my list (though I do have 2 series that were originally published under Dc but have been re-branded as Vertigo like Animal Man) because I would rather have most of these runs in deluxes than omni's.

Everyone who can think of 10 titles should vote, doesn't matter what the chances are of those titles actually getting an omni. For example, I have Hawkworld in my list, that would never get an omni but I would definitely buy it if comes out and I would rather have it than a lot of other omni's.

I'll specify the rules later but I guess Vertigo and Wildstorm will be allowed. I don't have any Vertigo titles in my list (though I do have 2 series that were originally published under Dc but have been re-branded as Vertigo like Animal Man) because I would rather have most of these runs in deluxes than omni's.

Everyone who can think of 10 titles should vote, doesn't matter what the chances are of those titles actually getting an omni. For example, I have Hawkworld in my list, that would never get an omni but I would definitely buy it if comes out and I would rather have it than a lot of other omni's.
    Ya, that would automatically disqualify me lol. I'm not familiar with 99.9% of DC content. I probably couldn't name 3-4 titles that would fit.