View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 206 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 1061561962022032042052062072082092102162563067061206 ... LastLast
Results 3,076 to 3,090 of 21671
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    It is

It was announced if NYCC if I'm correct together with the Y the Last Man Absolutes, the Orion by Simonson omnibus and the Neal Adams omnibus.
    Booooooooo. Of course they couldn't do what people actually wanted for Transmetropolitan, and have to try to get as much money out of this series as possible by having it out in the most expensive format first... Sigh. Been against this ever since I seen the price even with the Amazon discount..

Quote Originally Posted by Thesanmich View Post
    Completely agree. And it's not really a good thing when they can't even keep the spines of the omnibi and OHC consistent. One odd spine and it throws the whole thing off.
    Exactly. Red band, white band, plain font, flashy font, picture at the the bottom, volume number at the bottom, etc... I have all my X-Men omnis/OHCs in chronological order on my shelf, and nothing shows off their lack of consistency better than that. At this point I'm happiest with groups of multi-volume books with matching spine designs, like 100 Bullets or Preacher.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheTemp View Post
    Booooooooo. Of course they couldn't do what people actually wanted for Transmetropolitan, and have to try to get as much money out of this series as possible by having it out in the most expensive format first... Sigh. Been against this ever since I seen the price even with the Amazon discount..
    I don't know if you're an American, but if you are, chances are IST will have it 50% off release week for $62.50. $72.50 if it's the regular 42% off. It's still a good chunk of change for sure. But "Amazon discount" really isn't a great indicator to go by for anything. Amazon discounts are practically meaningless these days.

Quote Originally Posted by alb2009 View Post
    Im actually not a fan of the uniform look. I increasingly find myself appreciating the DC omnibi covers much more due to their individuality and diversity. I understand Marvel's mode of consistency but when you have too many black-red spines with the MARVEL branding it starts to look like volumes of some encyclopedia than an exciting comic series. A bit boring in my eyes. JSA, Planetary, Golden Age Supes, Animal Man, House of Secrets and almost every other DC omni have amazing artwork or design that easily make them stand out in a shelf when compared to their marvel counterparts. That's why I always love Marvel omnibii which have a spine color other than black (Daredevil Miller-red, Secret Warriors-white).
    Another + here. With a few exceptions, I find DC's Omnibus spines make for a more varied and attractive display where every book may grab attention on its own.

Hello, I'm kind of new to the Superman comics, but I want to start reading with the New 52. I made a reading-order list for myself for the hardcovers. I was wondering if this is correct or do I miss something?

And is it necessary to buy vol. 5 of Superman and vol. 6 of Action comics? Because it seams like a lot of double dip to me.

Superman:
    vol.1 What price tomorrow? 1-6
    vol.2 Secrets and lies 7-12
    vol.3 Fury at world's end 13-17
    vol.4 Psi-war 18-24
    Krypton returns 25
    vol.5 Under fire 25-31
    Doomed 30-31 (and Actioncomics 31-35+ Annual 3 and Superman/Wonderwoman 8-12+ Annual 1)
    Vol.6 32-39

Action comics
    vol.1 Superman and the men of steel 1-8
    vol.2 Bulletproof 9-12
    vol.3 At the end of days 13-17
    vol.4 Hybrid 18-24
    Krypton returns Annual 2
    vol.5 What lies beneath 25-29
    Superdoom 30-35

Superman/Wonder Woman
    vol.1 Powercouple 1-7
    vol2 War and Peace 8-12

Incredible Member

Not a big fan of Superman myself but it looks like your missing the first superman crossover "H'el on Earth" which includes Superman #13-17, Superboy #14-17, and Supergirl #14-17,

Doomed seems to have erroneous solicitations kicking around, one here states it will include
    Superman: Doomed #1 and 2, Action Comics #30-35, Superman/Wonder Woman #7-12, Superman #30, Action Comics Annual #3, Superman/Wonder Woman Annual #1, Supergirl #34-35 and Batman/Superman #11
    Which means you can do without Action comics volume 6 and Superman/Wonder Womans volume 2.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy82 View Post
    Hello, I'm kind of new to the Superman comics, but I want to start reading with the New 52. I made a reading-order list for myself for the hardcovers. I was wondering if this is correct or do I miss something?

And is it necessary to buy vol. 5 of Superman and vol. 6 of Action comics? Because it seams like a lot of double dip to me.

Superman:
    vol.1 What price tomorrow? 1-6
    vol.2 Secrets and lies 7-12
    vol.3 Fury at world's end 13-17
    vol.4 Psi-war 18-24
    Krypton returns 25
    vol.5 Under fire 25-31
    Doomed 30-31 (and Actioncomics 31-35+ Annual 3 and Superman/Wonderwoman 8-12+ Annual 1)
    Vol.6 32-39

Action comics
    vol.1 Superman and the men of steel 1-8
    vol.2 Bulletproof 9-12
    vol.3 At the end of days 13-17
    vol.4 Hybrid 18-24
    Krypton returns Annual 2
    vol.5 What lies beneath 25-29
    Superdoom 30-35

Superman/Wonder Woman
    vol.1 Powercouple 1-7
    vol2 War and Peace 8-12
    You should skip Superman vol 1-5, most of it was bad. Action Comics is pretty good throughout though vol 4 is definitely skippable. SM/WW is good throughout.
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Quote Originally Posted by drd View Post
    Not a big fan of Superman myself but it looks like your missing the first superman crossover "H'el on Earth" which includes Superman #13-17, Superboy #14-17, and Supergirl #14-17,
    Are the Superboy/girl issues that important or can I go with just the Superman trade?

You should skip Superman vol 1-5, most of it was bad. Action Comics is pretty good throughout though vol 4 is definitely skippable. SM/WW is good throughout.
    Thanks for the info, I think I give the trades a try then, instead of buying the more expensive hardcovers

Are the Superboy/girl issues that important or can I go with just the Superman trade?

Thanks for the info, I think I give the trades a try then, instead of buying the more expensive hardcovers
    Vol 1 and vol 2 are not that bad actually. It's Lobdell's work that's. ... not very good.
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Anyone here pick up Tales of the Batman: Len Wein?

I'm really tempted, especially since it's a writer-focused volume, and less likely to skip issues like all of the artist-centric ones tend to...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Anyone here pick up Tales of the Batman: Len Wein?

I'm really tempted, especially since it's a writer-focused volume, and less likely to skip issues like all of the artist-centric ones tend to...
    I would if it was oversized. probably not a good excuse, but . . .

Which means you can do without Action comics volume 6 and Superman/Wonder Womans volume 2.
    Kind of annoying you have to buy the Doomed book just to get Superman: Doomed #1 and 2, if you're already collecting Superman, Action Comics, Superman/Wonder Woman, etc.

Incredible Member

Vol 1 and vol 2 are not that bad actually. It's Lobdell's work that's. ... not very good.
    Volume 1 is George Perez (I read an exit interview with Perez after he walked off the title where he blamed Morrison for his leaving Superman saying he wouldnt share key details of his scripts for action comics which made it impossible to write any decent stories for the Superman book), Volume 2 is Dan Jurgens, Lobdell wasnt on superman until issue 13.

I'm pretty sure their important but I havn't read it so I cant say for definite.

Volume 1 is George Perez (I read an exit interview with Perez after he walked off the title where he blamed Morrison for his leaving Superman saying he wouldnt share key details of his scripts for action comics which made it impossible to write any decent stories for the Superman book), Volume 2 is Dan Jurgens, Lobdell wasnt on superman until issue 13.

I'm pretty sure their important but I havn't read it so I cant say for definite.
    Yeah I know. That's why I'm saying that vol 1 and vol 2 (Jurgens and Perez) aren't that bad but that vol 3-5 (by Lobdell) is pretty bad.

Incredible Member

If you are new to Superman I wouldn't start with the New 52 stuff. I love Suerman, he's my favorite. But most of it is terrible. This is what I recommend if you really want to start on the New 52:

Action Comics v 1 and Batman / Superman v1. That's it. The rest is unreadable or passable but you're better off reading other books. DC really screwed the pooch on Superman in the New 52.
    Last edited by pud333; 12-27-2014 at 09:48 PM.