View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 209 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 1091591992052062072082092102112122132192593097091209 ... LastLast
Results 3,121 to 3,135 of 21672
    Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eamo71 View Post
    Hey Raffi, Through the marketplace - books_any who I always finds very reliable. Best deal I've ever got. :-)
    And not to rub it in - it's brand new - sealed. Best deal I've ever got TBH.
    Good for you mate!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    Is it just me or does Zatana's face look really weird
    That was the first thing I noticed.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    Is it just me or does Zatana's face look really weird
    It's not just you. And most of Rags Morales' faces look weird.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Long time no see friends, how's everyone been? Haven't been reading much lately, busy with other things. Did pick up Superman Unchained though, it was...okay. A little underwhelmed. I think we've had a real lack of solid Superman stories lately.

Going to start Doom Patrol soon. Looking forward to it. It's one of the last major works of Morrison that I haven't read. Then I'll probably work on Ennis' Hitman

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    Great write up - I enjoyed reading it. Btw, what are your top 3 favourite Superman stories?
    Honestly my list changes from time to time of top favorites, but I usually will do a top four:

1. Superman: Birthright - I know the current vogue pick is "All-Star", but for my money, Birthright is Superman done right by the best Superman writer ever. Clark's African adventure is an example of a retcon done right (and, for my money, a much more realistic and better way to bring Clark from the awkward teenager to the hero than Superboy and his adventures with the Legion Of Superheroes), Jonathan and Martha are perfect, and every character is rendered in a way that makes them come alive in a modern yet timeless way. Waid tackles the question of Clark's alien origins head-on, but also neutralizes those fears in a beautiful way. Leinil Yu has never been better, rendering a Metropolis that is truly the City Of Tomorrow.

2. Whatever Happened To The Man Of Tomorrow? - Alan Moore and Curt Swan at their best, which is remarkable to consider in itself. I have a fondness for "The Man Who Has Everything" but WHTTMOT would make a perfect ending to any Superman run, not just the specific run it was ending. Curt Swan's work here reminds us all why his is the best-remembered vision of Superman and his world, while Moore's writing is complex and elegiac without the postmodern bullshit he would bring into much of his future work (and, it is some good postmodern bullshit, but it doesn't belong in a Superman story).

3. Kingdom Come - Let's be honest - this may be an Elseworlds story, a discarded DC-future, and a "Justice League" story, but the beating heart and soul of it is Superman, and the story wouldn't be possible with any other hero at its heart. In addition to proving his talent at writing an epic as well as his skill at writing all manner of heroes, Waid also first showed us how well he understands the first - and best - superhero - both Clark and Kal-El. As for Alex Ross, this cemented him as the premiere superhero painter of all time for a reason, proving Marvels wasn't just a fluke and giving us an indelible and classic Superman that just looked and felt right.

3a. All-Star Superman - A true epic, a moving and beautiful story, and an example where Grant Morrison earns his reputation; this work blows your mind, yet fires your imagination and tugs your heartstrings all at once. It is not an ideal Superman story; I cannot call it my favorite because I am not a fan of Superman (or Batman for that matter) stories that try and throw in everything (and the kitchen sink), but this is an amazing story with classic art by Frank Quietly.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ER Prest View Post
    Long time no see friends, how's everyone been? Haven't been reading much lately, busy with other things. Did pick up Superman Unchained though, it was...okay. A little underwhelmed. I think we've had a real lack of solid Superman stories lately.

Going to start Doom Patrol soon. Looking forward to it. It's one of the last major works of Morrison that I haven't read. Then I'll probably work on Ennis' Hitman
    Welcome back!
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

So Amazon uk has batman incorporated absolute listed as releasing on the 20th of Jan. when is the direct market release ?

I can't wait for my copy to come but hoping to see some pics on here before mine arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ840 View Post
    So Amazon uk has batman incorporated absolute listed as releasing on the 20th of Jan. when is the direct market release ?

I can't wait for my copy to come but hoping to see some pics on here before mine arrives.
    This coming Wednesday 7 January.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jjsheridan1001 View Post
    Honestly my list changes from time to time of top favorites, but I usually will do a top four:

1. Superman: Birthright - I know the current vogue pick is "All-Star", but for my money, Birthright is Superman done right by the best Superman writer ever. Clark's African adventure is an example of a retcon done right (and, for my money, a much more realistic and better way to bring Clark from the awkward teenager to the hero than Superboy and his adventures with the Legion Of Superheroes), Jonathan and Martha are perfect, and every character is rendered in a way that makes them come alive in a modern yet timeless way. Waid tackles the question of Clark's alien origins head-on, but also neutralizes those fears in a beautiful way. Leinil Yu has never been better, rendering a Metropolis that is truly the City Of Tomorrow.

2. Whatever Happened To The Man Of Tomorrow? - Alan Moore and Curt Swan at their best, which is remarkable to consider in itself. I have a fondness for "The Man Who Has Everything" but WHTTMOT would make a perfect ending to any Superman run, not just the specific run it was ending. Curt Swan's work here reminds us all why his is the best-remembered vision of Superman and his world, while Moore's writing is complex and elegiac without the postmodern bullshit he would bring into much of his future work (and, it is some good postmodern bullshit, but it doesn't belong in a Superman story).

3. Kingdom Come - Let's be honest - this may be an Elseworlds story, a discarded DC-future, and a "Justice League" story, but the beating heart and soul of it is Superman, and the story wouldn't be possible with any other hero at its heart. In addition to proving his talent at writing an epic as well as his skill at writing all manner of heroes, Waid also first showed us how well he understands the first - and best - superhero - both Clark and Kal-El. As for Alex Ross, this cemented him as the premiere superhero painter of all time for a reason, proving Marvels wasn't just a fluke and giving us an indelible and classic Superman that just looked and felt right.

3a. All-Star Superman - A true epic, a moving and beautiful story, and an example where Grant Morrison earns his reputation; this work blows your mind, yet fires your imagination and tugs your heartstrings all at once. It is not an ideal Superman story; I cannot call it my favorite because I am not a fan of Superman (or Batman for that matter) stories that try and throw in everything (and the kitchen sink), but this is an amazing story with classic art by Frank Quietly.
    I believe Mark Waid would be very pleased to read your comments, as from what I gather Superman is his favourite character - whether he's reading him or writing him ever since he picked up Action Comics #500 (I believe his first comic).

Birthright is the only one of the 4 you mentioned that I haven't yet read. Has that ever been published as an OHC? I would pick it up for sure if they put out a deluxe edition.
    Last edited by Raffi Ol D'Arcy; 01-02-2015 at 02:31 AM.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    I believe Mark Waid would be very pleased to read your comments, as from what I gather Superman is his favourite character - whether he's reading him or writing him ever since he picked up Action Comics #500 (I believe his first comic).

Birthright is the only one of the 4 you mentioned that I haven't yet read. Has that ever been published as an OHC? I would pick it up for sure if they put out a deluxe edition.
    Yes, Superman is by far Mark's favorite character. I've gotten to see him talk about Superman in person, and it's a joy - Mark is great guy anyway, but the way he lights up when discussing the Man Of Steel...you can tell you've just found a subject that ignites his passion.

Unfortunately Birthright has never been in OHC. The initial run was collected in a normal trim size hardcover, then paperback, but Birthright suffers from the fact that, despite being excellent and well-loved, it is the "bastard child" Superman origin. DC commissioned it in to smooth out some of the wrinkles that had formed since Byrne's Man Of Steel (and give Superman, who they had hoped would have a breakout movie like Spider-man, a little more modern origin and comic to go with it), and Waid - being both a comic historian plus lover of Superman jumped at the opportunity. Then, Superman Returns did not meet expectations, and Geoff Johns came along and became the superstar Superman writer in the wake of Last Son Of Krypton and his Brainiac arc, and Johns told DC "Hey!! Superman needs a new origin after Infinite Crisis, can I do it?" And so he did Secret Origin, which directly contradicts (the far superior, IMO) Birthright and brought back Superboy to DCU continuity (and that got an OHC).

(I will also note that not only did I find Secret Origin to be weaker than Birthright, I didn't exactly love how Gary Frank was drawing Superman to look like Christopher Reeve; I loved Reeve's performance, but it was distracting to have that done in the comic book).

I had hoped for but not expected a OHC in the wake of Man Of Steel, considering Man Of Steel takes so much inspiration from both Byrne and Birthright (though, unfortunately, it's an example where they took elements but missed the tone entirely, IMO) but DC was in a tricky position - they had just launched the New 52, so putting out OHCs of two origins that are no longer in continuity was probably something they didn't want to do (as well as deemphasizing the New 52, which was supposed to make Superman "cool" again), and also they were launching their new Man Of Steel series, and I think they expected to have collections of that out.

(for those who don't know, Man Of Steel ongoing became Superman Unchained ongoing and was very very late shipping).
    Last edited by jjsheridan1001; 01-02-2015 at 10:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jjsheridan1001 View Post
    snap
    I don't really have anything to add but I just wanted to say that I'm loving your Superman stories man, very informational! I've been meaning to pick up and read Birthright for so long now, but it kind of ended at the back of my to-buy list. I'm going to have to move it up a few places after this, thank you sir!
    None of you seem to understand, I'm not locked in here with you, you're locked in here with me..

Since, we're talking Superman, I've always found that the best SM stories are often either Elseworlds or appearances in other comics.

Hitman # 34 for example. I think it even won an Eisner. Amazing story.

Kurt Busiek's Secret Identity. I've said this forever: DC needs to collect this in Absolute form

Action Comics # 775. Now this is why you should like Superman! Back when Ellis' (or was it Millar by then?) Authority was kicking ass and taking names, Joe Kelly ups his game. And Superman's!

Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow. Alan Moore. Can't beat it.

Sadly, I always found Moore's "For the Man who has Everything" somewhat lacking.

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    Since, we're talking Superman, I've always found that the best SM stories are often either Elseworlds or appearances in other comics.

Hitman # 34 for example. I think it even won an Eisner. Amazing story.

Kurt Busiek's Secret Identity. I've said this forever: DC needs to collect this in Absolute form

Action Comics # 775. Now this is why you should like Superman! Back when Ellis' (or was it Millar by then?) Authority was kicking ass and taking names, Joe Kelly ups his game. And Superman's!

Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow. Alan Moore. Can't beat it.

Sadly, I always found Moore's "For the Man who has Everything" somewhat lacking.

His run on Supreme is also one of the best Superman(that's not Superman) stories I've read.

I was also fond of the OYL runs of Johns and Busiek that eventually led into the World of Krypton(which was a great idea that ended horribly and way too soon)

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post

Me too. I felt like the JLU episode handled the concept a lot better.
    Cyclops was right

Quote Originally Posted by ER Prest View Post
    His run on Supreme is also one of the best Superman(that's not Superman) stories I've read.

I was also fond of the OYL runs of Johns and Busiek that eventually led into the World of Krypton(which was a great idea that ended horribly and way too soon)

Hey, welcome back! Yeah, that Supreme stuff was great, and probably the best "superman" stories published at the time.