View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 217 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 1171672072132142152162172182192202212272673177171217 ... LastLast
Results 3,241 to 3,255 of 21672
    Incredible Member CrazyOldHermit's Avatar

I'd heard Absolutes were harder to read but when I got my first I just didn't get it. Still don't. The increased page size is nowhere near as obstructive as the huge page counts of omnibuses and the book can be read pretty easily in the hand. It's not even as big as a coffee table book.

...And as I just pulled the book off my shelf to check the thing slid out of the slipcase and hit my foot hard. From now on all slipcased books are going to be stored with their spines out.
    Miller was right.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyOldHermit View Post
    I'd heard Absolutes were harder to read but when I got my first I just didn't get it. Still don't. The increased page size is nowhere near as obstructive as the huge page counts of omnibuses and the book can be read pretty easily in the hand. It's not even as big as a coffee table book.

...And as I just pulled the book off my shelf to check the thing slid out of the slipcase and hit my foot hard. From now on all slipcased books are going to be stored with their spines out.
    Lol! Good call!

Quote Originally Posted by Marth555 View Post
    I just want one for the early stuff 1-31(shaman, gothic, venom, prey, faces and more)
    The story lines for the first 100 issues were for the most part all pretty solid. I know I read most of the others but nothing sticks out. Not saying there wasn't anything good, but nothing comes to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyOldHermit View Post
    [/I].
    Agree. Absolutes are a fine size.

Quote Originally Posted by TehJofus View Post
    I agree with the letterer. Absolutes are too big, in my opinion, so this would be the best edition.

Yep, I'm posting in the DC thread to say I'm not a fan of absolutes. I hope I survive this.
    I agree with you. Absolutes are too big for me, especially when it comes to Cooke's art. I am not a fan and I think his art is much better at the deluxe size.

Now I've proclaimed my lack of interest in absolutes and Cooke, so that should redirect any flame you would get.

Just give me a Deluxe edition, that is essentially a mini-Absolute. Just add a slipcase, make them all sewn binded, get rid of the dust jacket and charge a bit more than normal.

Spectacular Member Commissioner Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The_Dark_Knight View Post
    Anyone know what the paper stock on the new Mike Grell Green Arrow TPBs are like? Newsprint or something a little higher quality (like the paper in the new editions of No Man's Land, Murderer, Fugitive, etc.)?
    Thanks!
    It's matte paper, not glossy. I can take some pics later today or tomorrow if you want.

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

With the CW adapting iZombie in to a TV series, you would have thought DC might have cashed in with a nice oversized hardcover release of the series.

As a fan of the Allred's, I would have been all over that.

But no, more Batman needs printing
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    With the CW adapting iZombie in to a TV series, you would have thought DC might have cashed in with a nice oversized hardcover release of the series.

All Hail the Batgod!!!!
    Cyclops was right

I've read "Astro City: Life in the Big City" and I loved it. Can I skip to "Through Open Doors" or do I need to read them in order? Will there be spoilers?

Quote Originally Posted by danmar85 View Post
    Just give me a Deluxe edition, that is essentially a mini-Absolute. Just add a slipcase, make them all sewn binded, get rid of the dust jacket and charge a bit more than normal.
    I dont expect slipcases, but all hardcovers should have sewn bindings, "deluxe" editions especially.
    Last edited by canadianaidan64; 01-11-2015 at 04:37 PM.

Sparked from the Marvel thread, I really want some more omnibuses from 90s DC. Waid Flash/Impulse, JLA(all of it), Spectre. Not to mention the goldmines of Vertigo. Sigh....

Oh, and I've officially run out of space for my books. 5 of those 6ish foot tall bookshelves are jam packed. And I still have books on the way.

Guys, I'm on the fence on Absolute Batman Inc. I have all of Morrison's run through the first trade of Batman Inc. (in a myriad of formats). Will this Absolute collect everything else of Morrison's run after that point, or are there still books after it? And is the quality, in your opinion, of this part of the epic run better than what came before it or pretty much more of the same level?

I know that is somewhat subjective, but I like to save my Absolute purchases for books that are at the top that will go through multiple re-reads, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    Guys, I'm on the fence on Absolute Batman Inc. I have all of Morrison's run through the first trade of Batman Inc. (in a myriad of formats). Will this Absolute collect everything else of Morrison's run after that point, or are there still books after it? And is the quality, in your opinion, of this part of the epic run better than what came before it or pretty much more of the same level?

I know that is somewhat subjective, but I like to save my Absolute purchases for books that are at the top that will go through multiple re-reads, etc.

Thanks in advance!
    The Absolute will give you everything else, plus you'll be able to sell the first trade of Batman Inc (as all of that is included here too).

The quality of the story is subjective, like you say. I really liked it, but personally I think the big bat-epic leading up to it (from Batman & Son all the way through to the end of Batman & Robin and the return of Bruce Wayne) explored some slightly deeper ideas in slightly more interesting ways. Getting Doctor Hurt out of the way felt like a natural conclusion to Morrison's run, and Batman Inc. feels a bit like an extended epilogue to me. Still, it's a fun romp with some great art, and I'm definitely happy with my purchase of it in Absolute.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by drd View Post
    My Copy of Batman Inc just got delivered. Gorgeous book. Slight damage from speedyhens complete lack of protective packaging but they were £15 or so cheaper than amazon
    The same thing happened to me - bumps to two of the corners. I think it was because this Absolute didn't ship in the usual protective white oblong container (perhaps because it's too thick for one?), it was just packed directly into the cardboard mailer.

I contacted SH to ask for a replacement and instead they offered me a 20% refund, which I was happy to accept - the damage was disappointing, and I would have preferred a clean copy, but a £9 refund more than compensates for it. So it might be worth mentioning it to them if you haven't yet.

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post

DC focus on the mass market instead of the collector's or premium market when they're tying into TV or films. For example, Gotham saw a new Gordon paperback and DC promoting the heck out of Gotham Central.

The only time you can count on deluxe hardcovers are for anniversaries. Otherwise, I think they just pick names from a hat and throw darts at a calendar to determine the schedule

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Don't know if this has been noted but I stumbled upon a Batman Gothic Deluxe edition listing on Amazon due out in July. That's the only thing (apart from JLA and Final Crisis) I got to read from Morrison's take on Batman. God, my Morrison collection is all over the place, I have a mix of Deluxe, Paperback and floppies lol.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.