View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 238 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 1381882282342352362372382392402412422482883387381238 ... LastLast
Results 3,556 to 3,570 of 21672

Quote Originally Posted by DavidRaid View Post
    @Sousa

The spine of JSA (and I expect GL given that DC Omnibi have followed this trend for a while now) is slightly curved, but ultimately the shape of the spine itself isn't all that important to the binding. The recent Saga Omnibus by Image has a completely flat spine, as do Dark Horse's Library editions of Hellboy and they have some of the best binding around. Binding is why most people love omnibus editions. Good binding is make or break. Glued is blasphemy, Sewn is the standard by which all stand by.

The quality of sewn binding depends upon the flexibility of the fabric strip the pages are sewn into. This usually depends on how much and/or what kind of glue they have used to strengthen the book (as those things are heavy!). Rigid glue means that despite having sewn binding, that fabric part will not bend very well when the book is open, stopping it from forming the 'curve' or 'triangle' that lets you see all the way to the middle of pages. Glued binding has the pages glued to the spine itself instead of letting it bend freely, causing terrible 'gutter loss' and you lose art in that giant crevase.

Marvel Omnibi are always sewn (with the exception of their very early attempts) and have always been very good with the flexiblity of their binding whereas DC have very slowly been improving theirs and are basically playing catch-up. While they do use sewn binding on their new Omnibi, the glue they tend to use to strengthen it makes it more rigid than people would like, which is what people mean if you hear the word 'mousetrap'. They're referring to the way the glue prevents the fabric from bending and thus the middle of the pages won't rise to be level (flat) with the ends of the pages.. this also comes with the problem of the book not liking to stay open if you're not at the middle of the book.. thus swinging closed like a mousetrap.

Ultimately when you're buying non-Marvel Omnibus, I'd check on here for information on how good the binding is as every volume seems to vary. DC produced a fantastic binding with their Sandman Omnibus Vol 1 some time back and then surprised many with a downgrade of quality with their Vol 2 and JSA Vol 1. However, JSA Vol 2, which is their most recent Omnibus I believe, has the very best DC sewn binding I have ever seen, it's almost on par with Marvel's early sewn binding, just as good as the Walter Simonson Thor Omnibus I'd say. So everyone is crossing their fingers with the Green Lantern Omnibus Volume 1.

Hope this helps!

Mousetrap DC binding of the past http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...r/IMG_0073.jpg

JSA Omnibus Vol 2 DC Binding of today https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.n...47607417_o.jpg
    Note that beautiful curve that lets you see the middle of the pages with ease. The binding didn't need any loosening for JSA Vol 2, it was like that from the beginning. DC is really making strides.
    Very informative, thanks for the reply!

And one for DC fans to piss everybody off. Now I' m gonna watch taht Steve Ditko documentary.

Quote Originally Posted by lvizzz View Post
    And one for DC fans to piss everybody off. Now I' m gonna watch taht Steve Ditko documentary.

Wow, this guy really hates stories where characters die...

Spectacular Member Whenitmatters's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by titansupes View Post
    That's my big worry and hope for Miller's DKR and Morrison's ASS. I don't want to have to get into the Absolute game (worried I won't be able to stop!), so hopefully the 10th anniversary of ASS and the 30th (or whatever it is, I forget) of DKR next year will prompt deluxe editions to be released. Not to mention it would be good timing for when BvS: DoJ comes out.
    Wow i have not been on the forums for a long time and this is what happens?!?!?!? I had these two books on my various wish list for a very long time. But other almost OOP priorities came first and i kept pushing it to the back. Then life happens etc. I quickly went on to amazon marketplace and found both of them for 63 a piece. If anyone is still looking for Absolute batman and Robin for $63 there are now 3 copies left at that price. Hopefully, maybe DC will reprint them.

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lvizzz View Post

This guy must be a huge Atop the Fourth Wall fan. And how do you have Final Crisis as second? Even if you dislike it, you can't objectively say it is worse than anything else on the list.
    Cyclops was right

Quote Originally Posted by FlashingSabre View Post
    This guy must be a huge Atop the Fourth Wall fan. And how do you have Final Crisis as second? Even if you dislike it, you can't objectively say it is worse than anything else on the list.
    agreed. He even admits that it's not bad just polarising and he thinks it's bad mainly because a new or unexperienced reader will be confused. By that logic Identity crisis and Civil War ( in the Marvel video) shouldn't be in the video because lot of newbies loved them.

Amazing Member

Finally! Some pics of the GL Omnibus!

https://twitter.com/NMairose/status/561319803601051648
    Sweet cover art under that dust jacket!

https://twitter.com/NMairose/status/561319772294365184
    Very thick volume

https://twitter.com/NMairose/status/561319829743751170
    Thank god, the binding is JSA Vol 2 quality
    It's everything I ever could have wanted. The colours look perfect and the white parts are bright and nothing seems to show through. Thank god DC managed to get to this level of quality before publishing this book, it's been on my 'I hope they do this' list for years.

https://twitter.com/NMairose/status/561319859649536000
    This curve doesn't look so good but judging from the previous image I bet it just sinks that way naturally and will happily flex if opened a little wider.
    Last edited by DavidRaid; 01-31-2015 at 03:15 PM.

DC has officially won me over with their collections. Great content, great build @ great prices. You could say that their absolutes could be cheaper because DH has shown us that exactly that with their library editions, but DC's omnibus game is definitely on point.

Actually I'm not too happy with my copy of the Omnibus.. the outer spine folds in even after properly going through the correct opening technique...

Amazing Member

@aleksivic
    That.. is very strange. The Twitter picks don't show the outer spine doing that.. the Twitter one resembles JSA Vol 2, yours seems to act more like JSA Vol 1.. Damn. Have you tried to stop it? I managed to get my JSA Vol 1 to loosen to almost the same level of quality as Vol 2 by slipping a long wooden ruler (has to be longer than the book or you'll damage the spine) between the outer spine and the fabric spine that the pages are sewn and glued into and pushing it a little to bend outwards instead of folding inwards while opening the book wide. After doing this a few times I managed to stop the outer spine from ever bending like that.. It's something I'll do with the GL one too, anything to prevent creaselines in it...

Once you stop the outer spine from folding inwards, you may find that fabric becomes a little more pliable.. Let us know if it improves!

Finally! Some pics of the GL Omnibus!

https://twitter.com/NMairose/status/561319803601051648
    Sweet cover art under that dust jacket!

https://twitter.com/NMairose/status/561319772294365184
    Very thick volume

https://twitter.com/NMairose/status/561319829743751170
    Thank god, the binding is JSA Vol 2 quality
    It's everything I ever could have wanted. The colours look perfect and the white parts are bright and nothing seems to show through. Thank god DC managed to get to this level of quality before publishing this book, it's been on my 'I hope they do this' list for years.

https://twitter.com/NMairose/status/561319859649536000
    This curve doesn't look so good but judging from the previous image I bet it just sinks that way naturally and will happily flex if opened a little wider.
    I have it coming in the mail but I accept the sub par but not terrible bindings. The last picture with the book opened in the middle should not have such a stiff ribbon area. The middle of a 1200 page book should lay completely flat and not have curved pages.

I'm really excited for this book though. I've only read SCW and enjoyed it so much I decided to wait for an omnibus. That was something like 5 years ago now and in a few days I'll finally be able to read it all.
    Last edited by Captain Planet; 01-31-2015 at 04:50 PM.

Amazing Member

Agreed, it's painful that it doesn't seem to play flat on its own.. I'm hoping that might improve with time. DC still isn't up to Marvel's standard but they're closer than they've ever been at least. Though the Sleeper Omnibus may have been closer, I can't quite remember..

That sure is a pretty book.

Now, DC, make some oversized hardcovers of GLC(and the other series) to go with it and you've got my dollar(s)

Mighty Member

Got my GL omnibus today as well. No issues here. Binding is noticeably better than doom patrol, which is the only other dc omnibus I own near that size.

Agreed, it's painful that it doesn't seem to play flat on its own.. I'm hoping that might improve with time. DC still isn't up to Marvel's standard but they're closer than they've ever been at least. Though the Sleeper Omnibus may have been closer, I can't quite remember..
    I'll take DC's thick archival quality paper and tight-ish binding, over Marvel's toilet paper bound into a book that you can read without having to exert yourself by actually using your hands ...
    Last edited by canadianaidan64; 01-31-2015 at 05:22 PM.