View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 239 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 1391892292352362372382392402412422432492893397391239 ... LastLast
Results 3,571 to 3,585 of 21671

Quote Originally Posted by DavidRaid View Post
    @aleksivic
    That.. is very strange. The Twitter picks don't show the outer spine doing that.. the Twitter one resembles JSA Vol 2, yours seems to act more like JSA Vol 1.. Damn. Have you tried to stop it? I managed to get my JSA Vol 1 to loosen to almost the same level of quality as Vol 2 by slipping a long wooden ruler (has to be longer than the book or you'll damage the spine) between the outer spine and the fabric spine that the pages are sewn and glued into and pushing it a little to bend outwards instead of folding inwards while opening the book wide. After doing this a few times I managed to stop the outer spine from ever bending like that.. It's something I'll do with the GL one too, anything to prevent creaselines in it...

Once you stop the outer spine from folding inwards, you may find that fabric becomes a little more pliable.. Let us know if it improves!
    Thanks for the tip!!! I used my very thin steel ruler and carefully placed it in between the book and the inner ribbon bit..... it took a while but got it.

Last edited by aleksivic; 01-31-2015 at 05:45 PM.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by canadianaidan64 View Post
    I'll take DC's thick archival quality paper and tight-ish binding, over Marvel's toilet paper bound into a book that you can read without having to exert yourself by actually using your hands ...
    Agreed. :P

Amazing Member

@aleksivic

No problem! Glad it's better, though it still could do with laying flatter, there's quite a crevasse there. What I tend to do is hold onto the edges of the pages quite hard as I open it, forcing the middle of the pages to rise with the fabric... however, I probably wouldn't recommend you try that. There's a good chance that it could crack or damage the glue that holds it alltogether somehow, maybe even split the glue between some of the pages... It's up to you if you feel it's worth the risk, the books do loosen a little naturally with reads though. Sadly DC Omnibi do need a little more love than Marvel but as canadianaidan64 pointed out, at least they use good paper stock. :P

Quote Originally Posted by ER Prest View Post
    That sure is a pretty book.

Now, DC, make some oversized hardcovers of GLC(and the other series) to go with it and you've got my dollar(s)
    Agreed. Tomasi is such an underrated writer. I really enjoyed his GLC (and his current Batman and Robin).

Spectacular Member

So for the people that have the Geoff Johns GL omnibus are there any extras like variant covers or inteviews or is it just the issues collected? Thanks for any info.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidRaid View Post
    Agreed, it's painful that it doesn't seem to play flat on its own.. I'm hoping that might improve with time. DC still isn't up to Marvel's standard but they're closer than they've ever been at least. Though the Sleeper Omnibus may have been closer, I can't quite remember..
    Sleeper was very good, so was Golden Age Superman and possibly Absolute Sandman v1. DC have been so up and down with their Omnibus quality for the last couple of years I just assumed Johns GL Omnibus was probably not going to open too well and have those nasty black cardboard covers.

All-New Member

Great thread! The pictures in this thread are really a treat, I enjoy seeing nice pictures of these books especially the binding.

Hey guys, I was thinking about reading the whole DC New 52 (From 2011-NOW) in HC/TPB.
    Is there a reading order list for the collected editions (maybe organized by date of publication) that some one can provide?

Let me know!

Quote Originally Posted by Radjack View Post
    Hey guys, I was thinking about reading the whole DC New 52 (From 2011-NOW) in HC/TPB.
    Is there a reading order list for the collected editions (maybe organized by date of publication) that some one can provide?

Let me know!
    Don't. There's too much crap.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Let me know!
    You can just read them by publication date and be fine. Though I'd recommend skipping the bad titles and just reading the good titles
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Incredible Member

Let me know!
    That is a lot of books, and some of them weren't very good. But if you really want I'd say start here http://collectededitions.blogspot.co...tml#new52vol.1

Let me know!
    My suggestions: Batman by Snyder - amazing stuff, this run has become classic - Batman&Robin, Batwoman, Batgirl - yeah, it's quite good - and Swamp Thing maybe, I have only first tpb.

Mighty Member

Let me know!
    That'll be quite an undertaking. Impressive to say the least. Perhaps this omnibus could be a good start to figure out what to read? http://www.amazon.com/DC-Comics-New-...sin=1401234518

I foremost recommend Grant Morrison's Action Comics run and Azzarello & Chiang's Wonder Woman. They're both a bit weird, but very awesome and big on heart. They're also quite funny.

Jeff Lemire's (haven't read all of it as of yet.) Animal Man, Green arrow Frankenstein are also really good. Scott Snyder's Batman also seems quite popular. Morrison's Batman inc is also cool, but uses alot of pre n52 story.

There's also the on going Futures End which I quite like, that ties most of the new 52 together, with alot of characters that had their titles canceled. Reads like one big b movie epic with everyone from Frankenstein to Batman Beyond being involved. New characters include a Batman/Joker-borg and 8 year old named Fifty Sue who's powerful as a god. Reads best in collected form, with the first tbp out just recently.
    Last edited by borntohula; 02-01-2015 at 03:23 AM.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lvizzz View Post
    My suggestions: Batman by Snyder - amazing stuff, this run has become classic - Batman&Robin, Batwoman, Batgirl - yeah, it's quite good - and Swamp Thing maybe, I have only first tpb.
    Swamp Thing starts off good, turns a bit crappy in the 3rd trade and becomes awesome starting with the 4th trade. Soule's run rocks!
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Thanks for the help guys, I think I might skip a few of the characters I really don't care about. I came up with this list:

Justice League
    Aquaman
    The Flash
    Green Arrow
    Wonder Woman
    Aquaman and the Others
    Secret Origins

Batgirl
    Batman
    Batman and Robin
    Batwoman
    Catwoman
    Detective Comics
    Red Hood and the Outlaws
    Harley Quinn
    Grayson
    Gotham Academy
    Arkham Manor
    Gotham by Midnight
    Nightwing

Action Comics
    Supergirl
    Superman
    Batman/Superman

Teen Titans
    Teen Titans

Suicide Squad
    New Suicide Squad
    Deathstroke

Justice League Dark
    Swamp Thing
    Animal Man
    Constantine
    Frankenstein: Agent of SHADE

Forever Evil
    Futures End

As for Green Lantern, I've yet to read Geoff Johns epic saga. I'm a big fan of Marvel's Annihilation and the DnA cosmic books, should I read Geoff's Green Lantern run befor diving in on the New 52?