View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 241 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 1411912312372382392402412422432442452512913417411241 ... LastLast
Results 3,601 to 3,615 of 21672

Quote Originally Posted by JohnHorus View Post
    Please, don't say that. I just can't live in a world where Batman's first adventure is against colorful gangs, bone-monsters, lions and robots with little screens on their chests so that you can see the villain's face... and let's not forget that giant game of Jeopardy... My god, Pink Year was awful as an origin story...
    I generally dislike Snyder's Batman but I liked the first half of Zero Year. The second half was crap. I think that was his "cutting a good story in half and writing some nonsense as the second half" period (the Wake was published around the same time IIRC and that book's second half was baaaaaad).

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    I generally dislike Snyder's Batman but I liked the first half of Zero Year. The second half was crap. I think that was his "cutting a good story in half and writing some nonsense as the second half" period (the Wake was published around the same time IIRC and that book's second half was baaaaaad).
    Don't ever say that in any other forum. For some reason, Snyder has a lot of fans who will praise everything he does when not proclaiming he's the definitive Batman writer.

I say they got used to so much Batman crap in the last years, they will elevate anything that's good.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Don't ever say that in any other forum. For some reason, Snyder has a lot of fans who will praise everything he does when not proclaiming he's the definitive Batman writer.

I say they got used to so much Batman crap in the last years, they will elevate anything that's good.
    I'm giving him a chance, just bought Black Mirror finally and started to read yesterday. So far it's better than his New52 Batman but I've only read 3 issues. From the N52 Batman series tend to like 1 issues from every 3 (and gahd I hate this current arc soooo much! F#&@ the Joker so hard!!! I think he is one of the reasons I still didn't bought or dared to reread Arkham Asylum).
    Also, I'm not on any other forum and I don't even read other parts of cbr, only the collected edition section. It's a safe and cozy place

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FlashingSabre View Post
    Really? I dunno, maybe I just REALLY hate his Wonder Woman. I'm curious, what did you think of his Darkseid? I feel like he really got jobbed in that arc.
    Being a Marvel reader/fan from the 80s, and only getting back into comics in 2011 from a 20+ or so year hiatus, this was probably my first proper exposure to Darkseid. I'd read some DC comics back in the day but not much, so I can't really comment on Darkseid. I didn't really come in with any real DC "baggage" so to speak.

I enjoyed both John's writing and Lee's art very much in Justice League and it was only when Forever Evil started to come into play that I switched off. That initial run was a real page turner.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

I'm giving him a chance, just bought Black Mirror finally and started to read yesterday. So far it's better than his New52 Batman but I've only read 3 issues. From the N52 Batman series tend to like 1 issues from every 3 (and gahd I hate this current arc soooo much! F#&@ the Joker so hard!!! I think he is one of the reasons I still didn't bought or dared to reread Arkham Asylum).
    Also, I'm not on any other forum and I don't even read other parts of cbr, only the collected edition section. It's a safe and cozy place
    You're safe with us Balakin

I also don't get the hard praise for Snyder's New 52 Batman but I only read the first 2 trades. I really liked vol 1 the first time I read it and vol 2 fell a bit flat but after rereading vol 1 I liked it a lot less than the first time I read it. It felt like pretty average stuff to me.
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

I totally agree... And I just hate how much he hypes his own stories, he even makes Mark Millar seem like a modest person. For example, I really enjoyed Death of the Family, but he hyped the ending so so so so much that, immediately after I read it, I felt very dissappointed. Over time, I learned to appreciate that story even more and to never ever again read one of his interviews.

I think Black Mirror is his best. And it couldn't arrive at a better time, since Morrison's run was at its lowest (the 1st volume of Incorporated) and Tony Daniel was writing some of the most mediocre Batman stories ever. I think those factors helped Snyder cement his current status as a Batgod of some sorts.

Quote Originally Posted by Batmil View Post
    I loved the beginning of JL.

My favorite runs of the new 52 are Batman, Superman Unchained, the Flash, Superman/Batman, Batman Eternal, Batgirl and Batwoman. I really didn't like both the tries at the Teen Titans and Suicide Squad sucked aswell imo.

Kind of an unpopular opinion here but I also enjoyed Detective Comics from the start, it's rather essential for Death of the Family aswell.
    Yeah Teen Titans and Suicide Squad were really bad. It makes me sad considering the initial runs of both are among my favorites (New Teen Titans by Wolfman and Perez and Suicide squad by Ostrander)
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

I thought Court of Owls was amazing, and American Vamp. is okay.

Everything else he did I dislike. Zero year and Black Mirror are especially awful. Also, Death of the Family is really overrated imo. I think people just love anything that involves the Joker.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I haven't read the rest of the Wake but the first trade was great. I've liked the Batman run but the arcs last so long.

How about John's Flash vs. John's GL, which is the must have Omnibus?

Ha, there is person who agrees about Wake with me. And kinda similar thoughts about Zero year....

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    I haven't read the rest of the Wake but the first trade was great. I've liked the Batman run but the arcs last so long.

How about John's Flash vs. John's GL, which is the must have Omnibus?
    Both are great imo. I personally like the first half of GL better than Flash but I like Flash better than the second half of GL.

Quote Originally Posted by lvizzz View Post
    Ha, there is person who agrees about Wake with me. And kinda similar thoughts about Zero year....
    Well, the first third, not half, of Pink Year was definitely the best part... And overall, I would've liked this story much more had it been called Year Two (or Two Year using Snyder's logic), you know, with Gotham throwing its first "supervillains" at Bruce. But as an origin story, it is terrible.

And why did everything have to be so pink? And why did so many critics praise the coloring as original? Pink was amply used in Joel Schumacher's hideous Batman films years ago. And in that movie they looked as awful as it looked on Zero Year...

Now, for those of you who only like some parts of Snyder's run, would you buy a Batman by Snyder Omnibus that collects the first 40 issues of the run?

Well, the first third, not half, of Pink Year was definitely the best part... And overall, I would've liked this story much more had it been called Year Two (or Two Year using Snyder's logic), you know, with Gotham throwing its first "supervillains" at Bruce. But as an origin story, it is terrible.

And why did everything have to be so pink? And why did so many critics praise the coloring as original? Pink was amply used in Joel Schumacher's hideous Batman films years ago. And in that movie they looked as awful as it looked on Zero Year...

Now, for those of you who only like some parts of Snyder's run, would you buy a Batman by Snyder Omnibus that collects the first 40 issues of the run?
    No, but I would easily buy Absolute with Court of owls arc story. This art deserves big format.

I love the art but I hate most of the stories, so no, wouldn't even poke it with a stick. (and I don't like Court of owls. I almost gave up with issue 2 then with the last issue of that story. There were some parts in the middle that kept me interested though. I don't think Snyder is a bad writer, he just fails to deliver a lot of times).

Quote Originally Posted by Radjack View Post
    Hey guys, I was thinking about reading the whole DC New 52 (From 2011-NOW) in HC/TPB.
    Is there a reading order list for the collected editions (maybe organized by date of publication) that some one can provide?

Let me know!
    I'm doing pretty much the same thing as you, except I started in August and I'm still working my way through the vol. 1's.

Our reading lists are almost the same too, except I'm not planning on doing Suicide Squad, New Suicide Squad, Deathstroke, Animal Man, Constantine, or Frankenstein, and I'm reading Justice League of America, Superman/Wonder Woman, Superman Unchained, The Dark Knight and Batman Eternal as well.

Still got a couple Vol 1's left (of the ones that are out so far) and then on to the Vol 2's! So far, the only one I've found rather dull is The Flash.

I'm also skipping all the Green Lantern stuff and starting with the new GL Omnibus.
    Last edited by mooch; 02-01-2015 at 03:37 PM.