View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 245 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 1451952352412422432442452462472482492552953457451245 ... LastLast
Results 3,661 to 3,675 of 21662

Quote Originally Posted by JohnHorus View Post

Besides, I believe Tomasi is kicking his ass. Even though his run obviously has had its ups and downs, Robin Rises was amazing. That's how you mix sci-fi and supernatural elements with Batman. And the silent issue was my story issue in a really long long time. I just find the idea of Batman being a dad and incredibly fresh one that hasn't worn off for me yet.
    Exactly! Want to talk about original Batman storytelling, character development, etc., ceck out Tomasi's Batman and Robin. This is the best Batman in years.

On a side note, I'm not sure where the phrase "information dump" came from, but it's really a misnomer in Snyder's case as those long paragraphs add very little to the story. I'm thinking it's really just an inability to self-edit or maybe it's the editor's fault.

And before the Snyder fans come down on me, I did enjoy what I read of his American Vampire.

Incredible Member

Besides, I believe Tomasi is kicking his ass. Even though his run obviously has had its ups and downs, Robin Rises was amazing. That's how you mix sci-fi and supernatural elements with Batman. And the silent issue was my story issue in a really long long time. I just find the idea of Batman being a dad and incredibly fresh one that hasn't worn off for me yet.

Oh god yes, Robin Rises was just mental and I loved every minute of it, even as a Snyder fan if I had to choose between a Snyder Batman Omni or a Tomasi B&R Omni i'd go with Tomasi.

If you're discussing recent comics and their plot, characters etc please use spoiler tags where appropriate. This is a Collected Editions forum, and most of those who post here don't follow monthly books and are waiting for the Omnibus or other collected release.

If you wish to get into detailed discussion without having to use spoiler tags then one of the DC forums is more appropriate.

Fantastic Member The_Dark_Knight's Avatar

Absolutely. I've really loved Tomasi's B&R.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teej View Post
    For me, Johns' first Flash run has the highest highs but also some of the lowest lows of anything I've read from him. The first omnibus volume is good not great, the second omnibus volume is just about my favorite volume of any in-print Flash stories, and the third omnibus volume is mediocre despite it's great final issue.

John's Green Lantern run was more consistent throughout. It had a few dips here and there but nothing major that takes away from the run as a whole. Overall, I thought it was a really enjoyable run with a good payoff for sticking with the title all the way through.

If it's between Flash Vol. 1 and GL Vol. 1 I'd definitely go for Green Lantern first.
    I am leaning towards the GL, but I need to read what I have first. I hope they are in no danger of going O.o.p.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    The guy in the video also suggested to wait for a Green Lantern Omnibus Vol. 3 as Brightest Day will probably be included. DC have never included an Omnibus in another Omnibus right? I know they've "Omnibused" Absolute material and "Deluxed" Absolute material but I kind of doubt they'll further Omnibus the Brightest Day stuff but I could be wrong.
    I am somewhat concerned about this, because the first 2 GL Omnibuses do not cover all the Geoff Johns material there is, but I think that the rest "Pre- New 52" is not enough to fill a third omnibus.

According to Amazon the first book collects:
    Green Lantern Rebirth #1-6, Green Lantern Corps Recharge #1-5, Green Lantern #1-25, Green Lantern Corps #14-18, Green Lantern: Sinestro Corps Special #1, Green Lantern Secret Files 2005 #1, Tales of the Sinestro Corps: Superman Prime #1 and Green Lantern/Sinestro Corps Secret Files #1.
    And the second book: Green Lantern #26-52, Blackest Night #0-7, DC Universe #0, Untold Tales of Blackest Night #1-2, Blackest Night Tales of the Corps #1-2.

So what is still left is:
    Green Lantern vol. 4, #53-67
    Blackest Night #8
    Blackest Night: Tales of the Corps #3
    Blackest Night: The Atom and Hawkman #46
    Blackest Night: Flash #1-3

Am I missing something? Since I really hope that they do not plan to add Brigthest Day again, I think that this Omnibus will contain also New 52 material: Green Lantern Vol 5 #1-20 and all related specials as an extra (Larfleeze Christmas Special, Green Lantern Movie Prequel: Hal Jordan, Green Lantern Movie Prequel).

Would you agree or do you suspect otherwise?

So I finally cracked open my copy of JSA vol. 1 and boy..you guys weren't kidding about the tight binding.
    For those who own it, how uncomfortable of a reading experience was it? Does it loosen up after a few tries?

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thesanmich View Post
    So I finally cracked open my copy of JSA vol. 1 and boy..you guys weren't kidding about the tight binding.
    For those who own it, how uncomfortable of a reading experience was it? Does it loosen up after a few tries?
    The binding loses some of its tightness when you're about 300 pages in. It's actually not that hard to read after that and the stories are pretty awesome so far imo.
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Quote Originally Posted by Pertl View Post
    I am somewhat concerned about this, because the first 2 GL Omnibuses do not cover all the Geoff Johns material there is, but I think that the rest "Pre- New 52" is not enough to fill a third omnibus.

Green Lantern Rebirth #1-6, Green Lantern Corps Recharge #1-5, Green Lantern #1-25, Green Lantern Corps #14-18, Green Lantern: Sinestro Corps Special #1, Green Lantern Secret Files 2005 #1, Tales of the Sinestro Corps: Superman Prime #1 and Green Lantern/Sinestro Corps Secret Files #1.
    And the second book: Green Lantern #26-52, Blackest Night #0-7, DC Universe #0, Untold Tales of Blackest Night #1-2, Blackest Night Tales of the Corps #1-2.

Blackest Night #8

Am I missing something? Since I really hope that they do not plan to add Brigthest Day again, I think that this Omnibus will contain also New 52 material: Green Lantern Vol 5 #1-20 and all related specials as an extra (Larfleeze Christmas Special, Green Lantern Movie Prequel: Hal Jordan, Green Lantern Movie Prequel).

I'd tend to agree.

One thing that's for certain. DC is NOT going to collect the Brightest Day omnibus in a volume 3.

The guy who said that is completely clueless. It makes absolutely no business sense.

Gee, do I want to make money by selling collectors one omnibus for $100-$120 or two for a combined $200-$220?

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

The GL Johns Omni arrived for me today and I think it's looking good and for an initial flip through feels like a solid build.

I pulled out a number of floppy TPB for posting up to Ebay later. Do some monetary offsetting.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

To bring the Batman conversation back on topic, can't we all agree that we should focus our frustrations on DC not having a single true Batman Omnibus. I mean they could take any Batman run at this point and I think it would sell extremely well. I'm not counting the Neal Adams Omni as that only collects partial stories. DC is leaving money on the table.

Quote Originally Posted by pch3727 View Post
    To bring the Batman conversation back on topic, can't we all agree that we should focus our frustrations on DC not having a single true Batman Omnibus. I mean they could take any Batman run at this point and I think it would sell extremely well. I'm not counting the Neal Adams Omni as that only collects partial stories. DC is leaving money on the table.
    They really are. O'Neil/Adams, Knightfall saga, No Man's Land saga, Gotham Central(seriously, would probably sell like gangbusters), Morrison's epic, Dixon's Nighwing, Robin, and Bird's of Prey. They'd all sell. Well too.

Same goes for Superman. I know we have two, but seriously lacking there too. And we're finally getting Perez's WW. We're making progress...but c'mon DC, take my money

Quote Originally Posted by pch3727 View Post
    This has always baffled me... The logic says the'd make a lot of money from Batman Omnibi, but they have refused to release them for many years.

DC has sales experts and stuff like that... There has to be a reason behind this decision. Maybe selling 3 Batman by Loeb and Sale Absolutes is more profitable than a Batman by Loeb and Sale Omnibus (which would totally awesome, by the way)... Maybe those Tales of the Batman HCs and Knightfall TPBs make more money than an Omnibus would make...

It's also quite strange because I think DC's collected editions department listens a lot to fans. We wanted Sandman Omnibus? We got them and they were gorgeous (too bad they didn't have any extras). A Planetary Omnibus collecting even what the Absolutes left out? There you go. Everything Geoff Johns has ever written? Knock yoursleves out with those huge JSA and GL Omnis (and start making room for an Action Comics Omnibus).

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pertl View Post

Blackest Night #8

1) I'm sure Blackest Night #8 is in vol. 2, just its description is wrong. Just like there's not Untold Tales of Blackest Night #2 as far as I know. Unless they mean that the two bits Johns wrote in it are #1 and #2.

2) Blackest Night: Tales of the Corps #3 on the other hand won't be either in vol. 2 or vol. 3, because Johns didn't write it. Likewise, vol. 2 will only have stories from Blackest Night: Tales of the Corps #1-2 written by Johns.

3) Blackest Night: The Atom and Hawkman #46 and Blackest Night: Flash #1-3 are not GL stories, aren't they? So they're out too.

4) Other parts of War of the Green Lanterns will be in vol. 3, because otherwise the story would be unreadable.

5) There's absolutely no point in putting Brightest Day in vol. 3, but it might be good to put in exceprts from five or so of its issues written by Johns, featuring the characters from and filling the holes in the story from GL #53-62.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

This has always baffled me... The logic says the'd make a lot of money from Batman Omnibi, but they have refused to release them for many years.

DC has sales experts and stuff like that... There has to be a reason behind this decision. Maybe selling 3 Batman by Loeb and Sale Absolutes is more profitable than a Batman by Loeb and Sale Omnibus (which would totally awesome, by the way)... Maybe those Tales of the Batman HCs and Knightfall TPBs make more money than an Omnibus would make...

It's also quite strange because I think DC's collected editions department listens a lot to fans. We wanted Sandman Omnibus? We got them and they were gorgeous (too bad they didn't have any extras). A Planetary Omnibus collecting even what the Absolutes left out? There you go. Everything Geoff Johns has ever written? Knock yoursleves out with those huge JSA and GL Omnis (and start making room for an Action Comics Omnibus).
    Yes, I've thought the same in that there has to be some major reason behind not releasing a Batman Omnibus. And it most probably is related to sales i.e. it works out to be more profitable for DC to keep releasing TPBs and regular HCs of Batman stories which keep selling because they are not overly expensive and are also bought by the masses and not just by fanboys/collectors. Batman Absolutes are also produced as they are similar to TPBs quantity wise and are purchased by devoted collectors who are willing to fork out the extra cash.

On the other hand, I also agree that DC is more receptive to fans than Marvel in amending and accommodating future releases with what the fans want. Saying that, let's hope it's just a question of time before we see them rolling out those Batman Omnibuses.

Btw, I'm not sure if anyone has noticed but the "Neal Adams" Omnibus is no longer on amazon.com for preorder (still on amazon.co.uk) and is listed as Currently Unavailable. Could it be that they are reworking the contents to make it more readable or that they are postponing it?
    Last edited by Raffi Ol D'Arcy; 02-04-2015 at 02:18 AM.