View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 246 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 1461962362422432442452462472482492502562963467461246 ... LastLast
Results 3,676 to 3,690 of 21672
    Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    The GL Johns Omni arrived for me today and I think it's looking good and for an initial flip through feels like a solid build.

I pulled out a number of floppy TPB for posting up to Ebay later. Do some monetary offsetting.
    Just got an email from amazon.com informing me that they shipped my copy

Looking forward to it, managed to get it at that $59.42 preorder price.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    Yes, I've thought the same in that there has to be some major reason behind not releasing a Batman Omnibus. And it most probably is related to sales i.e. it works out to be more profitable for DC to keep releasing TPBs and regular HCs of Batman stories which keep selling because they are not overly expensive and are also bought by the masses and not just by fanboys/collectors. Batman Absolutes are also produced as they are similar to TPBs quantity wise and are purchased by devoted collectors who are willing to fork out the extra cash.

On the other hand, I also agree that DC is more receptive to fans than Marvel in amending and accommodating future releases with what the fans want. Saying that, let's hope it's just a question of time before we see them rolling out those Batman Omnibuses.

Btw, I'm not sure if anyone has noticed but the "Neal Adams" Omnibus is no longer on amazon.com for preorder (still on amazon.co.uk) and is listed as Currently Unavailable. Could it be that they are reworking the contents to make it more readable or that they are postponing it?
    Exactly my thoughts. Batman is famous and loved by everyone, but non collectors won't buy the huge hardcovers, so it is just logical to release them in tpb and a lot of people will buy it. On the Other hand GL and JSA are for the core comic readers mostly so the collections don't have to appeal to the masses but the collectors and the fans gonna jump on the omnis.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    Exactly my thoughts. Batman is famous and loved by everyone, but non collectors won't buy the huge hardcovers, so it is just logical to release them in tpb and a lot of people will buy it. On the Other hand GL and JSA are for the core comic readers mostly so the collections don't have to appeal to the masses but the collectors and the fans gonna jump on the omnis.
    Then again, releasing, for example a Batman by Loeb and Sale Omnibus, doesn't mean you can't release TPBs and HCs for the masses, as well as Absolute for the hardcore fans... Man, who knows? But it certainly is baffling.

The only thing keeping me from getting the Green Lantern Omnibus is that I already have the Absolutes of Rebirth, Sinestro Wars and Blackest Night. I fear getting the GL Omni would be way too redundant. But I'm on the fence; talk me into or out of getting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Wisdom View Post
    1) I'm sure Blackest Night #8 is in vol. 2, just its description is wrong. Just like there's not Untold Tales of Blackest Night #2 as far as I know. Unless they mean that the two bits Johns wrote in it are #1 and #2.

2) Blackest Night: Tales of the Corps #3 on the other hand won't be either in vol. 2 or vol. 3, because Johns didn't write it. Likewise, vol. 2 will only have stories from Blackest Night: Tales of the Corps #1-2 written by Johns.

3) Blackest Night: The Atom and Hawkman #46 and Blackest Night: Flash #1-3 are not GL stories, aren't they? So they're out too.

4) Other parts of War of the Green Lanterns will be in vol. 3, because otherwise the story would be unreadable.

5) There's absolutely no point in putting Brightest Day in vol. 3, but it might be good to put in exceprts from five or so of its issues written by Johns, featuring the characters from and filling the holes in the story from GL #53-62.
    Thanks for the corrections, this makes a lot of sense, of course.

Spectacular Member Commissioner Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
    The only thing keeping me from getting the Green Lantern Omnibus is that I already have the Absolutes of Rebirth, Sinestro Wars and Blackest Night. I fear getting the GL Omni would be way too redundant. But I'm on the fence; talk me into or out of getting it.
    I'm in the same situation as you and I'm just going to stay with the absolutes. John's GL run was great through Blackest Night, but I think the only storylines I'd really want to revisit would be the ones that are already collected in the absolute volumes.

I went ahead and got the omnibus although I already own the absolutes. I compared absolute rebirth to the omnibus and although it looks better I would say its like 1080 vs 720. Looks better but not by much.

All-New Member

I have most of it in HC trades and absolute Blackest Night, but I still picked up the Omnibus. I feel like the quality is not as good compared to the Absolute, but does sure look nice on the shelf Still going to pick up Absolute Sinestro Wars. Made a UT video if you want to see how the book looks open.

Fantastic Member The_Dark_Knight's Avatar

Same boat ... except I immediately bought the omni. Only real justification is that you get a lot of material in OHC that's never been collected in OHC before - especially when you look at this as not just one omni, but a set of 3. This first volume is sort of redundant because it collects material that's already collected in two Absolutes. But vol 2 will only have BN as an Absolute redundancy and vol 3 won't have any rededundancies with Absolutes. So, c'mon, you're going to end up getting vols 2 and 3. Then think how silly they'll look on your shelf without vol 1.
    At least that's why I bought mine ...

I need help.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    It doesn't have to be one or the other. Why not release tpb version for the casual fans and a special deluxe edition for the hardcore fans? I don't understand comic publisher mentality at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Planet View Post
    It doesn't have to be one or the other. Why not release tpb version for the casual fans and a special deluxe edition for the hardcore fans? I don't understand comic publisher mentality at all.
    maybe they don't want to release a story in multiple formats at the same time and the collectors have to wait? (because we gonna buy it no matter when they release it).

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The_Dark_Knight View Post
    Same boat ... except I immediately bought the omni. Only real justification is that you get a lot of material in OHC that's never been collected in OHC before - especially when you look at this as not just one omni, but a set of 3. This first volume is sort of redundant because it collects material that's already collected in two Absolutes. But vol 2 will only have BN as an Absolute redundancy and vol 3 won't have any rededundancies with Absolutes. So, c'mon, you're going to end up getting vols 2 and 3. Then think how silly they'll look on your shelf without vol 1.
    At least that's why I bought mine ...

I need help.
    If it helps, the non-absolute content is pretty great.
    Cyclops was right

So, with Alan Moore's Swamp Thing run in deluxe hard-covers being pretty much discontinued now, is there any chance of an Omnibus or an Absolute collection of his run coming any time soon?

So, with Alan Moore's Swamp Thing run in deluxe hard-covers being pretty much discontinued now, is there any chance of an Omnibus or an Absolute collection of his run coming any time soon?
    Nobody knows. Those are not deluxe.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by lvizzz View Post
    Nobody knows. Those are not deluxe.
    exactly! they're normal sized with regular paper.

people ask this questions for YEARS on different forums. it seems that the last paperback edition hasn't moved that many copies and while it's always possible that dc is releasing some absolutes, it's probably not high on their priority list. i recetly got the hardcovers for a good price. they're not the greatest built hcs i've ever seen (starman, for example, war much much nicer), but i finally wanted to finished reading the whole run and didn't want to wait another 2-3 years.