View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 260 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 1602102502562572582592602612622632642703103607601260 ... LastLast
Results 3,886 to 3,900 of 21662

So! I'm about to place a pretty big order of Batman (+ fringe DCU and Misc.) TPBs since I've barely bought anything in the past few years. I haven't collected anything after (or even up to) flashpoint so far so the missing trades are missing because the reviews seemed underwhelming, do let me know if you think I'm missing some stuff that I should grab.

Here's the list, discuss!

Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow
    Kingdom Come
    Final Crisis Revelations
    Final Crisis Rogue's Revenge
    Spectre 01 Crimes and Punishments, 02 Wrath of God
    Superman / Batman Torment
    Batman Life After Death, Eye of the Beholder, International, red Hood Lost Days, the Wrath
    Batgirl Redemption
    Brightest Day 01,02,03
    GL Brightest Day
    Flashpoint

Batgirl (N52) 01 Darkest Reflection, 02 Knightfall Descends
    Batman & Robin (N52) 01 Born to Kill, 02 Pearl, 03 DotF, 04 Requiem
    Batman Dark Knight (N52) 02 Cycle of Violence, 03 Mad, 04 Clay
    Batman DC (N52) 03 Emperor Penguin, 04 Wrath
    Batman (N52) Zero Year Secret City
    Batwoman (N52) 01 Hydrology, 02 Drown the World, 03 World's Finest
    Birds of Prey (N52) 02 Death of Oracle
    GLC (N52) Revolt of the Alpha Lanterns
    GL Emerald Warriors, War of the Green Lanterns
    GL (N52) Revenge of Black Hand
    Justice League (N52) 03 Throne of Atlantis
    Aquaman (N52) 01 Trench
    Wonder Woman (N52) 01 Blood

Fables 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20
    Fairest 01
    "This cannot be...Is... Is it an omen?!"

Incredible Member

Finished reading The Dark Knight Returns again. This is a book I read at least twice a year and despite it feeling a bit dated, I always enjoy it and I am always impressed by how good it is.

Quote Originally Posted by pud333 View Post
    Finished reading The Dark Knight Returns again. This is a book I read at least twice a year and despite it feeling a bit dated, I always enjoy it and I am always impressed by how good it is.
    It is an amazing story, but am I the only one who thinks the art varies from meh to flat out bad?

Quote Originally Posted by Drakul View Post
    Is there a thread to discuss DC TPB or would this be it as well?
    While this thread is geared to omnibus/deluxe collections, I think it's safe to say most of us are pretty open to collected books in general. So if you have a few questions or what not, go ahead and ask. I'm sure someone will have an answer.

Quote Originally Posted by sho nuff View Post
    It is an amazing story, but am I the only one who thinks the art varies from meh to flat out bad?
    The art really turned me off when I first read it, and there definitely are some dated parts, but I really see it as one of the greats now. DKR2, not so much....

Year One? One of the best Miller and Batman stories ever. Like, that book inspires me in my own writing haha

Fantastic Member

Is Absolute Final Crisis going OOP? Does anyone know anything about this?

Incredible Member

Yeah it is an acquired taste. The story is so amazing. So I can forgive the gimpy art.

Same thing with me. Millar's art in both Batman and Ronin makes it hard for me to like those stories. I don't hate it but I almost do and sometimes I'm okay with it because the story is good. Makes it hard to decide whether or not to own those 2 books.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Planet View Post
    Same thing with me. Millar's art in both Batman and Ronin makes it hard for me to like those stories. I don't hate it but I almost do and sometimes I'm okay with it because the story is good. Makes it hard to decide whether or not to own those 2 books.
    I know, right. And while I do genuinely believe that DKR is a superior story that works on alot of different levels year one is a much better comic in my opinion due to the FAR superior art.

It's really a like it or hate it thing, and not much in between. Personally, I love it, but I recognize that it's not for everyone. This series, though, really made me appreciate the colorist aspect though. I'm not sure I've ever seen anything like Varley's work since other than maybe DK2 (and Miller inking his own stuff was atrocious).

I know, right. And while I do genuinely believe that DKR is a superior story that works on alot of different levels year one is a much better comic in my opinion due to the FAR superior art.
    Art as it comes to comics as a media is not to be judge only on this subjective level, i.e. looking at random panel at a store bookshelf for example. I can't count how many times I have picked up DKR at my local newsstand only to put it back after browsing a few pages. But once I have taken the plunge my view on comics had changed forever. The sequential art featured in Miller stories is something that has change the media at that time (I have in mind the all vertical panels initiated in daredevil) and was objectively FAR more inventive and dynamic than Mazzucchelli (again at that time because since then Mazzucchelli storytelling has became really inventive too). Synergy between Miller's art and word is one of a kind in the industry, and Holly Terror is a proof that storytelling as an art form in comics is still something that Miller continues to work on.
    Last edited by vark; 02-21-2015 at 03:00 AM.

Incredible Member CrazyOldHermit's Avatar

You're not the only one. I think I've seen more people describe the art as a negative than a positive. I am not one of them. It works on a more visceral and expressionistic level than the more literal art of Mazzcchelli. Thats no slag against Mazzucchelli, if I could draw like anyone I'd draw like him. It's just a difference not just in aesthetic but in purpose. As Miller says "What I'm after when I draw my pictures is your guts. I want you to feel something. I don't want you to like me, necessarily, and it's the same with my characters. And what I'm after when draw is evocation, not pretty. I love beauty, I don't care about pretty."

I don't believe Dark Knight Returns would have worked anywhere near as well if it had been drawn by Mazzucchelli. I also don't think it would have worked as well if it was drawn by Neal Adams or Jim Lee or any other slick, detailed artist. It is purely Miller's vision. He doesn't follow a model sheet or a style guide. Some images are drawn quite realistically. Others are drawn in a very abstract way that completely defies reality. It's the same with his lighting. When it suits him Miller will ignore the logic of lighting (light travels in a straight line from a source and whatever it hits projects a shadow) and light things backwards or with multiple conflicting lightsources or will even eschew a lightsource entirely. His top priority is each panel as an image and what is the best possible combination of black and white to make the reader feel what he wants them to feel. Everything else serves that master.

Personally I think Lynn Varley's colors alone make it one of the most gorgeous and creative artpieces in the medium.
    Miller was right.

So! I'm about to place a pretty big order of Batman (+ fringe DCU and Misc.) TPBs since I've barely bought anything in the past few years. I haven't collected anything after (or even up to) flashpoint so far so the missing trades are missing because the reviews seemed underwhelming, do let me know if you think I'm missing some stuff that I should grab.

Kingdom Come
    Final Crisis Revelations
    Batman Life After Death, Eye of the Beholder, International, red Hood Lost Days, the Wrath
    Batgirl Redemption
    Brightest Day 01,02,03
    GL Brightest Day
    Flashpoint

Aquaman (N52) 01 Trench

Fairest 01
    I would skip anything Final crisis related that is not written by Morrison. Everybody says it's unneccessary and usually really bad. Some other chunky trade recommendations, if you already read them just ignore it: JLA vol 1-6 (vol 1-4 is Morrison, vol5 is Waid, I'm currently reading that. Vol 6 is Kelly I think, not sure.). Batgirl/Robin Year one (never gonna stop recommend that book, lovin' it), Authority v1-2. The first thick volume of Secret six is coming out next week IIRC.

Kingdom Come
    Final Crisis Revelations
    Batgirl Redemption
    Brightest Day 01,02,03
    GL Brightest Day
    Flashpoint

Aquaman (N52) 01 Trench

Fairest 01

Whatever happened to the man of tomorrow is included in "the dc universe by Alan Moore". I would buy that instead.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyOldHermit View Post
    You're not the only one. I think I've seen more people describe the art as a negative than a positive. I am not one of them. It works on a more visceral and expressionistic level than the more literal art of Mazzcchelli. Thats no slag against Mazzucchelli, if I could draw like anyone I'd draw like him. It's just a difference not just in aesthetic but in purpose. As Miller says "What I'm after when I draw my pictures is your guts. I want you to feel something. I don't want you to like me, necessarily, and it's the same with my characters. And what I'm after when draw is evocation, not pretty. I love beauty, I don't care about pretty."

I don't believe Dark Knight Returns would have worked anywhere near as well if it had been drawn by Mazzucchelli. I also don't think it would have worked as well if it was drawn by Neal Adams or Jim Lee or any other slick, detailed artist. It is purely Miller's vision. He doesn't follow a model sheet or a style guide. Some images are drawn quite realistically. Others are drawn in a very abstract way that completely defies reality. It's the same with his lighting. When it suits him Miller will ignore the logic of lighting (light travels in a straight line from a source and whatever it hits projects a shadow) and light things backwards or with multiple conflicting lightsources or will even eschew a lightsource entirely. His top priority is each panel as an image and what is the best possible combination of black and white to make the reader feel what he wants them to feel. Everything else serves that master.

Personally I think Lynn Varley's colors alone make it one of the most gorgeous and creative artpieces in the medium.
    100% agreement