View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 261 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 1612112512572582592602612622632642652713113617611261 ... LastLast
Results 3,901 to 3,915 of 21672

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyOldHermit View Post
    You're not the only one. I think I've seen more people describe the art as a negative than a positive. I am not one of them. It works on a more visceral and expressionistic level than the more literal art of Mazzcchelli. Thats no slag against Mazzucchelli, if I could draw like anyone I'd draw like him. It's just a difference not just in aesthetic but in purpose. As Miller says "What I'm after when I draw my pictures is your guts. I want you to feel something. I don't want you to like me, necessarily, and it's the same with my characters. And what I'm after when draw is evocation, not pretty. I love beauty, I don't care about pretty."

I don't believe Dark Knight Returns would have worked anywhere near as well if it had been drawn by Mazzucchelli. I also don't think it would have worked as well if it was drawn by Neal Adams or Jim Lee or any other slick, detailed artist. It is purely Miller's vision. He doesn't follow a model sheet or a style guide. Some images are drawn quite realistically. Others are drawn in a very abstract way that completely defies reality. It's the same with his lighting. When it suits him Miller will ignore the logic of lighting (light travels in a straight line from a source and whatever it hits projects a shadow) and light things backwards or with multiple conflicting lightsources or will even eschew a lightsource entirely. His top priority is each panel as an image and what is the best possible combination of black and white to make the reader feel what he wants them to feel. Everything else serves that master.

Personally I think Lynn Varley's colors alone make it one of the most gorgeous and creative artpieces in the medium.
    Excellent analysis. Couldn't agree more.

Fantastic Member The_Dark_Knight's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aleksivic View Post
    I managed to get Batgirl Vol.2 HC on Ebay for pretty cheap which means I have completed the entire New 52 HC collection and I can finally start reading Gail Simone's run!

Let me know if I have missed any here.

I sold you that Batgirl v2! Glad to see it arrived in good shape and went to the home of someone who can appreciate it!

Also, it looks like your collections of N52 HCs does the same thing mine does - kind of leans when all are next to each other. None of my other HCs do that. I wonder what the deal is.
    Last edited by The_Dark_Knight; 02-21-2015 at 08:42 AM.

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    I would skip anything Final crisis related that is not written by Morrison. Everybody says it's unneccessary and usually really bad. Some other chunky trade recommendations, if you already read them just ignore it: JLA vol 1-6 (vol 1-4 is Morrison, vol5 is Waid, I'm currently reading that. Vol 6 is Kelly I think, not sure.). Batgirl/Robin Year one (never gonna stop recommend that book, lovin' it), Authority v1-2. The first thick volume of Secret six is coming out next week IIRC.
    Those are the Question/Specter miniseries by Rucka and the Rogues miniseries by Johns
    Cyclops was right

I managed to get Batgirl Vol.2 HC on Ebay for pretty cheap which means I have completed the entire New 52 HC collection and I can finally start reading Gail Simone's run!

Very nice collection! My wallet is glad that I am not into that collection.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Dark_Knight View Post
    I sold you that Batgirl v2! Glad to see it arrived in good shape and went to the home of someone who can appreciate it!

Also, it looks like your collections of N52 HCs does the same thing mine does - kind of leans when all are next to each other. None of my other HCs do that. I wonder what the deal is.
    Haha.... what a coincidence! Only if I knew, we could've avoided eBay and save you on those Seller fees! Thanks so much again for packaging it very well because USPS are animals here (see my other thread where my Absolute Final Crisis got banged up)

Fantastic Member The_Dark_Knight's Avatar

^^

In answer to your question, the only N52 HC I can think of that it seems like you're missing is Batman: Night of the Owls (and, technically, Damian: Son of Batman and Superman Unchained, but those N52 HCs don't match the spine design motif that all the others share, and are also OHCs that wouldn't match the size of the others).

I think the only other book which has been released as a New 52 HC in regular format is Night of the Owls, but this is of course a crossover compilation of issues which have been released in other books already.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Dark_Knight View Post
    ^^

In answer to your question, the only N52 HC I can think of that it seems like you're missing is Batman: Night of the Owls (and, technically, Damian: Son of Batman and Superman Unchained, but those N52 HCs don't match the spine design motif that all the others share, and are also OHCs that wouldn't match the size of the others).
    Quote Originally Posted by Pertl View Post
    I think the only other book which has been released as a New 52 HC in regular format is Night of the Owls, but this is of course a crossover compilation of issues which have been released in other books already.

Thanks so much guys...... I actually have Damian: Son of Batman and Superman Unchained but that sits on the deluxe shelf.

In regards to Night of the Owls... You guys have a great eye and I can't believe I missed that one. I'll order it from IST or Amazon with the next batch.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by awayne83 View Post
    They did the deluxe a disservice by not opting for one of the many wonderful Jock covers.
    100% agree. That said I'm about 3 issues in and it's a brilliant series. Really enjoying it so far.

I was chatting with my LCS and he mentioned that Absolute Batman and Robin: Batman Reborn was OOP.... I mentioned I already have it but way behind with the "DC Universe / Justice League" Absolutes like Final Crisis and Justice. He also had mentioned that Final Crisis was going OOP and said he couldn't order through Diamond anymore if he wanted to.

I checked Amazon for a couple weeks too and they didn't restock any copies either!!! There's usually a phrase on there that says "More on the way!" but they didn't for this book:
    http://www.amazon.com/Absolute-Final...e+final+crisis

Absolutes are one thing I try to avoid paying full price to 20% off at the LCS when I can get 45% with CGN IST.
    Continuing this discussion from the other thread. Is there a legit resource where we know which Absolutes are going OOP. Batman & Robin (Batman Reborn) and Final Crisis seems to be the case but do we know any others. My procrastination lead me to miss out on Crisis on Infinite earths.. just don't want it happening with other books.

These are my missing Absolutes (I don't get Vertigo anymore as I already own the TPB's/HC's/Deluxe's of most if not all titles - minus 100 Bullets):
    - Final Crisis (currently on order with IST)
    - Batman: Haunted Knight
    - All Star Superman
    - Identity Crisis

I'm also shocked there is no Absolute Infinite Crisis. Would be great if they reprinted the Omni and split it into two Absolute volumes.

Price for New Frontier Absolute went pretty high on UK Amazon, used to around 30 not long time ago, now it's 50. Another OOP book?

Thanks so much guys...... I actually have Damian: Son of Batman and Superman Unchained but that sits on the deluxe shelf.

In regards to Night of the Owls... You guys have a great eye and I can't believe I missed that one. I'll order it from IST or Amazon with the next batch.
    You are welcome

By the way: Nice collection!

Since I do not collect N52 myself, I never had a close look at these books, but is this really the official dust jacket of Batwoman 2 ? It looks like it has the old DC sign on it, they can't really be that stupid, can they? This would really drive me crazy, I also cannot understand why Death of the Family ha a white spine and all the others are black. Obviously they wanted to provide a uniform look and than they are doing it like that? I can't believe it...

Quote Originally Posted by Pertl View Post
    You are welcome

By the way: Nice collection!

Since I do not collect N52 myself, I never had a close look at these books, but is this really the official dust jacket of Batwoman 2 ? It looks like it has the old DC sign on it, they can't really be that stupid, can they? This would really drive me crazy, I also cannot understand why Death of the Family ha a white spine and all the others are black. Obviously they wanted to provide a uniform look and than they are doing it like that? I can't believe it...
    It is official, my vol 1 and vol 2 for Batwoman are that way. They match my various New 52 TPBs, which are the solid blue line rather than the logo, but yeah, I think it must've been a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Grayson View Post
    It is official, my vol 1 and vol 2 for Batwoman are that way. They match my various New 52 TPBs, which are the solid blue line rather than the logo, but yeah, I think it must've been a mistake.

Early printings of batwoman volume 1&2 have the solid line DC logo, while later printings have the same logo as all the other new 52 hardcovers.

Quote Originally Posted by canadianaidan64 View Post
    Early printings of batwoman volume 1&2 have the solid line DC logo, while later printings have the same logo as all the other new 52 hardcovers.
    Now you have done it.. I'm now contemplating whether I should switch up my Vol.2